“A lovely hotel”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Southampton, England
“A lovely hotel”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We used to drink at the Pheasant many years ago and so were highly relieved that the bar remains exactly the same as we remembered. The bistro seemed quite pleasant and lively and we enjoyed the informality of eating there. Our rooms were very comfortable and luxurious and my only request, as an unsteady elderly person, is that there might be a grab rail in the shower.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
England
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I have stayed and/or dined in the Lakes in places such as The Samling, Gilpin Lodge, Sharrow Bay and Holbeck Ghyl. The Pheasant at Bassenthwaite is up there with the best of them. It continues to provide a genuinely-warm welcome and unfussy service - and I have been a regular over the last ten years. In my most recent visit, I felt that the quality of food served in The Fell restaurant reached new heights. It was absolutely tantalising. And that bar! You would go some distance to find one with the same character or characters! I've seen quite a few developments taking place over the years in different places where I have stayed. The changes to The Pheasant haven't ruined its character, As far as I am concerned, it has certainly not gone down hill. Far from it. And The Pheasant always seem to attract new, smiling faces to greet you when you arrive and serve up the food and ale. Personally, I have yet to have a bad experience after over ten years. I particularly like the way restaurants have their own character and the fact that you get some peace and quiet in the residents dining room and that it doesn't have piped music. Each room - and I have stayed in a few - have there own character and atmosphere. I don't think there is a better place to relax and explore the Northern Lakes. A delight.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed here in early September. This is a great old country hotel. A little up market. Service and rooms excellent. We stayed on a Sunday night and were unable to eat in the restaurant, but instead ate in the Bistro. A little lacking in atmosphere but the food was excellent. Bar and lounge very comfortable. There was a good choice for breakfast the next morning, with all the usual and Kippers. All in all good but not exceptional.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ripon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights with a friend. The room was nice but the whole place lacked atmosphere. And that was the one thing we wanted and expected. There was no one around on reception when I arrived but eventually a pleasant girl from NZ appeared.
The Bistro was nothing to write home about. Being vegetarian I am used to having virtually no
choice anyway. I knew we wouldn't be eating there twice. But what really amazed us was the fact that about 10.30pm ish the staff asked if we wanted anything else to drink (we were sitting in the empty lounge by that time) as they were locking up and leaving the premises!!! ie NO staff there overnight! Good job we were next to the fire escape!
To sum up - no atmosphere anymore and I feel the owners have left it all in the hands of inexperienced and, sorry to say, younger staff.
Oh and the breakfast was pretty mundane. AND this is the only place I have EVER stayed where fruit juice isn't help yourself at breakfast and you have to ask for a glass when you put in your order.
Sorry Pheasant won't be returning anytime soon. Only good thing was use of the spa at
Armathwaite Hall.......

Room Tip: i think rooms at the back must be quieter
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank surfiegirl
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We were recommended this place by friends and also read numerous good reviews, so we looked forward to our meal with friends at the Bistro. When we walked in we noticed the lack of atmosphere. We soon picked our meals from the menu . My wife and our female guest both picked smoked haddock fish pie but when it arrived there was no taste of smoked fish in either pie. When they mentioned it to the waiter he wasn't bothered he said he would let chef know but we got no response. I ordered Eton Mess from the specials board but there was absolutely nothing special about it and once again the wasn't interested in our complaint. We quickly paid our bill and left no tip... A first for us. The reason we went there was because of high recommendations by friends and in magazines. We had a fantastic meal in the Langstrath Country Inn in Stonethwaite and we now wish we had taken our friends back there instead. We certainly won't be going back or recommending the Pheasant.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Rob J
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We live locally and the pheasant is going downhill fast we ate in the bistro poor quality food and slow service ordered a good bottle of quality red it never arrived expensive a great shame after dinner we retired to the lounge very cosy but were asked to leave as its reserved for residents the hotel was according to the girl behind the bar very quiet won't be returning

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank burrowmale
Lancashire
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We called for the first time on our way to Keswick - it was a Friday evening and although we had not booked we asked if there was the possibility of having a table for three. It was 5.30pm and we were politely told that the bistro did to open till six, which was fine.
The pleasant girl behind the bar asked the lady working on reception if we could have a table to which I overheard the very loud response 'if they are in by six and out by 7.45 then yes'....that made us feel really welcome !!
We sat in the lounge and had a pre-dinner drink but could not enjoy the relaxing hotel atmosphere due to the same lady working in reception next door to us who seemed to find it necessary to shout everything so that everyone could hear her ??
Nobody came to us at 6pm so we went ourselves to the Bistro (there was only one other family sat at tables) and sat down.
They took our order and I decided to have their sirloin steak...'aged for 30 days'...at a pricey cost of £22.50.
The meals eventually came to the table and mine looked presentable...apart from the fact I had to look twice at whether there was a steak on my plate as it was perhaps the size of my palm.
I then tried to cut the steak but it was that tough it took a lot of work...and chewing it took forever !
I brought this to the attention of the staff who were very apologetic and with fair due offered another meal but as we had waited nearly 40 minutes for our main course and as we had to be at the Theatre in Keswick we simply did not have time....or me personally the inclination.
They did deduct the cost of the meal from our bill - if I had been the chef that evening I would have been disturbed by this...but they obviously weren't bothered.
In all a very disappointing meal...flat atmosphere plus the loud mouthy lady in reception made it seem like we were in some builders yard...totally pretentious and over rated...will not be going there again..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank 600Kayjay
matwylie, Manager at The Pheasant Inn, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review of our Bistro on Trip Advisor. Your points have been noted and will be acted upon – I am sorry that this was not brought to my attention at the time when I might have been able to put things right for you.
We obviously got it wrong this time and for this, please accept my most sincere apologies. We always welcome constructive feedback from our guests - I do hope you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves to you and return to the hotel at some point in the future.
Yours faithfully
Matthew Wylie
Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Embleton
Lodore Falls Hotel
Lodore Falls Hotel
#4 of 5 in Borrowdale

Been to The Pheasant Inn? Share your experiences!