We went to the Pheasant for a light meal in the bistro, what a disaster. We ordered the pork scratchings for nibbles as we didn't want a starter as such, they were duly brought but we sent them back as they were inedible. One of us ordered fish and chips with the option of mushy or garden peas, mushy peas were ordered, they came and they were garden peas blitzed, the other meal chosen was potted shrimps off the starter menu and a portion of chips, this was okay, only one pudding was ordered, our bill came and it was very highly overpriced. When we broke it down we had only had one drink as one of us had had tap water, it worked out at £4.75 for pint of lager the pork scratchings would have been £7, but these were deducted from the bill, fish and chips £13.50, potted shrimps £9.50, portion of chips £3.50 and a chocolate delice £6.75 giving a grand total of £38.
It does not come anywhere near other establishments in this area, very mediocre food, poor service and very overpriced.
We like to dine in nice restaurants and don't mind paying but we do not like being robbed, Dick Turpin comes to mind.
We will certainly not be going back and this is one to avoid if you don't want fleecing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dating back to the 17th century, this former haunt of the famous huntsman John Peel has been entertaining guests for the past 300 years in the traditional Cumbrian manner with stunning food and refreshment and good old fashioned values. With an abundance of unique period atmosphere and a sense of timelessness with the clever mix of luxurious, contemporary comforts provides The Pheasant a well deserved national and International reputation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Pheasant Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Pheasant Hotel Bassenthwaite
- The Pheasant Inn Bassenthwaite, Keswick, Lake District