Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
  • Restaurant
HotelQuickly
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,788 results
All reviewsthe outdoor hot tublake view restaurantarmathwaite hallafternoon teaclub roomhush roomglass of champagnearoma roomcream tealakeview restaurantstately homethermal suiteon arrivalsconescourse mealquichechristmas decorations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This was our third visit to this wonderful hotel set in its own vast grounds which include a walk down to Bassenthwaite Lake. In fairness our room this time in the relatively new wing was very well fitted out but felt quite cramped and the view was just nearby trees. However the leisure is quite honestly one of the best we have experienced (and we have traveled extensively!), the infinity outside tub is to die for.
Staff were polite, efficient and courteous and the only criticism of the dinner was the modest quality of the (cold!) bread rolls to start. However the breakfast was a disappointment for the £250 we paid for the DBB package. We ordered the full cooked with poached eggs and the mixed toast to be brought at the same time as the breakfast...the poached eggs were like bullets and I had to order two more which arrived when we had almost finished the cooked breakfast. The toast did not arrive as requested and when it did the low quality 'plastic' toasted bread is not what I expect from a five star establishment.
A good, if expensive stay but do not rest on your laurels Armathwaite if yo want me to return for a fourth time!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

What a stay. After travelling from Edinburgh and searching for great places to stay on the way back down to London, we stumbled on a catalogue on places to stay in the district. After what is quite a treck to the resort from the main town ..... it was like driving into a royal experience!
The staff, the dining, the rooms were all amazing, From having tea and chocolates in the main sitting room to the fantastic view.. i could not speak higher of a facility! But wait, there’s more. To top it all off.... the spa is to die for and you will not want to leave. The outdoor hot tub and ran showers ... amazing!!!
A definite recommend to anyone!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Emma H
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Me and husband had a lovely lunch and it was superb food and great service very attentive. This comes as a relief after having a bad experience at a hotel of similar standard earlier on in the year. I could not fault this experience and the views and hotel situation are fantastic. I would recommend this hotel to my family and friends. My only criticism would be the cost of my glass of wine which I thought was rather expensive.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 848Jacqui
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We arrived at Armathwaite at 8.00pm on a Friday evening, somewhat weary, having 'phoned ahead to say we would be late. We were greeted by name and offered a very welcome glass of sherry each. The porter took our bags up to our room and disappeared before we could offer a tip. The room itself was boringly decorated but surprisingly well-equipped. There was a good hairdryer near the mirror, and sockets near the mirror so you could use your own hairdryer or charge up your 'phone. There was good WiFi throughout. The food was very good and the service attentive and friendly. The beds are comfortable and there is a choice of pillows.
The next day we had tea and scones and as your other reviewers have said, it was lovely and not expensive. We had martinis in the bar before dinner and another lovely meal.
The only thing which let the hotel down (apart from the beige decor and the constant Dean Martin) was the receptionist (not the friendly Scotsman from Friday night). This receptionist seemed a bit put out to be disturbed when i asked about walks from the hotel. We checked out and went for our walk and returned somewhat muddy. I went to reception to ask about the toilets where I could change, and she did that thing where she talks to the person on the phone and ignores the person in front of her. After a couple of minutes of being ignored I went off to the bar instead, and she buzzed for another receptionist to come out, but she could have done that straight away. I would have thought a prerequisite for a receptionist was to be friendly.
Notwithstanding the only intermittently friendly receptionist, this is a really good hotel and I would definitely be happy to visit again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the old hall rather than the annexe.
1  Thank amanda f

We have just returned from a break in the Lakes with 2 nights at Armathwaite
It is billed as a luxury hotel, however the only luxurious bit is the Spa
I am not a regular Spa-goer - at all, but my wife and I both enjoyed the light and airy pool and "thermal suite" (steam/aropma/sauna rooms etc)
The outdoor jacuzzi was also fun in the rain
As for the hotel - there was nothing particularly wrong (other than no internet access in room). But, the rooms could have been bigger / more comfortable (the bathroom in our "Club room" was very small), the food was OK, but not special (best were generally the deserts)

Room Tip: "Club rooms" can be a bit "basic"
1  Thank iangberry