Myself, my wife and two teenage children have just returned from a 2 night stay here. The room, food and service were excellent. However, due to the pool policy which is applied to children under 18 years of age -the overwhelming impression was that our children were subjected to direct and unacceptable age discrimination during the summer school holidays. When children were eventually allowed into the pool at 4.30pm , some adult users regarded them like creatures from another planet. This policy could perhaps be regarded by customers with children as divisive and cruel during the summer school holidays and appears to be a tool which some adult users (non - residents) of the pool are more than willing to wield so as to discretely intimidate the children of paying residents. I was expecting the Kiddy Catcher to appear at any moment as the atmosphere was so oppressive and unfriendly towards perfectly well behaved children. The pool should not be advertised unless it is available to everyone all the time - especially children during the summer holidays. The brochure indicates that children are welcome - however the pool policy may have the unintended potential to promote negative behaviour towards children by some of the less scrupulous and less mature adult users of the spa and hotel.Our children were so upset by their experience in the spa that I would ask that the hotel does not merely respond to this message by attempting to justify or re-affirm their pool policy - as this would simply be adding insult to genuine injury.I only hope that this message serves to highlight a significant underlying issue to the hotel so that it can consider some modification of its pool policy before a negative culture is permitted to develop in one of its primary areas of business. Finally , if you intend to visit this excellent hotel - or just its superb spa facilities - please take some time to reflect on the FACT that you yourself were once a child and an adolescent. Please have the maturity and grace to allow the children to enjoy what remains of their all too short childhood.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Armathwaite Hall Country House Hotel and Spa is a beautiful four red star 17th-century former stately home situated near to Keswick on the shores of Bassenthwaite Lake. The hotel and spa is private owned and features forty six bedrooms of individual character from stylish spa bedrooms to the luxury of studio suites with stunning lake views. The rosette fine dining Lake View Restaurant serves table d’hote lunches and dinners in elegant surroundings to both residents and non resident guests. The Courtyard Bar and Brasserie is a stylish modern alternative serving meals in a relaxed atmosphere. Afternoon teas are served daily and are a great way to celebrate with family and friends. Licensed to hold civil ceremonies for romantic weddings up to 150 guests. The award winning spa, offers the best in facilities from the 16 meter infinity edge pool to the luxurious outdoor spa pool, thermal suite and life fitness gym. Ten treatment rooms including a double treatment room offer relaxing and soothing treatments to guests, day spa and members. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Orbitz so you can book your Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Armathwaite Hall Hotel Bassenthwaite
- Armathwaite Hall Keswick
- Armathwaite Hall Hotel Keswick
- Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa Bassenthwaite/Keswick, Lake District