Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$156
Agoda.com
The Pheasant Inn(Bassenthwaite)
  • Restaurant
Ravenstone Lodge Hotel(Bassenthwaite)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
1,786 results
All reviewsthe outdoor hot tublake view restaurantarmathwaite hallafternoon teaclub roomhush roomglass of champagnearoma roomcream tealakeview restaurantstately homethermal suiteon arrivalsconescourse mealquichechristmas decorations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Hi,

We have stayed at armathwait hall on a number of occasions and have also just been to dine and have afternoon tea. The setting is breathtaking with views across bass lake and the Cumbrian fells. The hotel itself was built in the 1500s and oozes character and history. The staff are extremely friendly and can't do enough to make your stay pleasant and enjoyable. Also they work very hard. On the occasions we have stayed there some of the staff that were working 9am where also serving dinner later at 10pm.

Afternoon tea at the Artmathwaite is a very pleasant experience and a bargain given the level of service, the delicious food and relaxing surroundings. The tea is really good too and we want to find out where they source it.

We would highly recommend the armathwait to anyone.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Dropped by here for lunch at the brasserie on way home to Newcastle from 2 night stay at New house farm. Really nice lunch of spicy chicken fajitas, sticky toffee pudding and glass of white wine. Nice friendly staff. Would recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Just returned from a fabulous two night stay (3rd - 5th May) to celebrate our 22nd Wedding Anniversary. Please could I just say that myself and my Hubby have stayed in many Hotels of high calibre, since returning I have read some negative reviews, however we would suggest that Armathwaite Hall is definately scoring high on our favourites!!!! We rarely stay in the same hotel twice, however we are already looking at returning during the christmas festivites.
Please ignore the 'Nit Pickers'!!!!!!!, this beautiful country house is oozing with character and boasts some wonderful displays of Olde English Heritage, (There is a clue in the 'look' of the building as to maybe what can be expected from the inside).
A courtyard extension hosts a magnificent modern and very clean Spa.
Upon arrival we were greeted with refreshments, and had a friendly and prompt check-in. We were shown to our room and offered assistance with luggage. We had a double room in the main part of the Building (Room 171). The room was extremely comfortable and of an adequate size, yes there is a hairdryer fixed into a drawer which requires the switch to be continually pressed whilst in use but that is ok, I wouldnt particularly make a big deal out of it!!
The room was well equipped with refreshments ie, tea, coffe, hot choc, biscuits, bottled water - any of which were replenished at the evening 'turn down' service had we used them during the day, Thankyou.
The bathroom was exceptionally clean, adequate toiletries, heated towel rail and scented toilet paper, power shower, all perfectly acceptable.
The view from the window was over the courtyard (not picturesque) however once we had found the Spa we were only ever in the room to sleep, so never really noticed the view.
Staff were extremely friendly, polite and very attentive!!!!!
Breakfast was fab, plenty of choice - full english, toast, cereals, croissants, fruit, yoghurts, tea, coffee, juice etc...
We had table in the Lake View restaurant for Dinner and the food was exquisite!!!
Chefs that are absolutely talented in 'fine dinning'!!!!! (My background is as a chef myself, so I also know a little about good fresh quality food, and flavours) The portions sizes were perfect, we ate everything!!!!!
Wine was quality and reasonably priced.
A massive mention to our waiter 'anatoulizs' - He was one of the best we've ever been served by!!
THEN - we found the Spa OMG!!!!!!!! Pure indulgence, we spent two days relaxing in the beautiful facilities. No one EVER hassled us to have any treatments (this was amazing!!) we swam, used the modern gym, enjoyed the thermal suite - aroma room, tropical shower, rainforest shower, steam room, sauna, jaccuzzi, all communal, BUT most of all we thoroughly indulged in the outdoor Hot Tub, enjoying a glass of Champagne to celebrate our Anniversary.
Towels, robes and slippers were all provided, as was shampoo, conditioner and body wash. There was flowing cool drinking water to ensure that you remained well hydrated, and like I said - NO pressure to do anything other than 'Chill out', Relax, and Enjoy.
There was a Brasserie within the Spa environment where we had lunch in our robes one day - very nice.
Two other couples were also sharing our special weekend by celebrating their Wedding Days, it was a pleasure to see them, yet they had no impact upon the tranquility of the rest of the hotel whatsoever.
Unfortunately we did have to eventually check-out, which was also prompt, However!!! Guess what????? YES we were still able to use the Spa facilities for a few hours before travelling back home.

We would really like to thank Armathwaite Hall for a wonderful stay! We will definately be back!!!
If we felt the need to 'Nit pick', after a lot of searching the only thing we could come up with was that the toast was underdone at breakfast - Sorry....

Room Tip: Room 171 in the main building, appropriately furnished, comfortable, adequate size.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SunnyBagpuss
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Went to this hotel for a lunch out with a group of 18 ladies. Service on arrival was excellent with our coats taken and drinks served in the comfortable lounge area. Menus duly arrived but with only three choices per course some of the ladies struggled to find a selection to suit them. We then moved to the dining room which was a wonderful setting and the waiters were very well presented and very attentive. I had ordered a starter of salmon gravadlax with beet root and a dill cream. The portion of fish was measly at best and there were four cubes of beet root which were smaller than sugar cubes. The dill cream was just a thin smear on the plate and may as well have been omitted as it brought very little to the dish. I was looking forward to my braised blade of beef for the main course but again I was to be rather disappointed. Whilst the beef was beautifully cooked there was simply not enough of it. The piece was perhaps five centimetres in diameter on top of a thin layer of horseradish mash. The vegetables were turned beautifully but very lonely. Two pieces of turnip and one of carrot. The ladies who had ordered the beef wondered if the other people would fare any better so our disappointment was complete when the other members of the party were served large plates full of food, including the same vegetables as the beef but with the addition of cauliflower and broccoli. The difference between the dishes was striking. When the beef ladies had finished eating after a few minutes, the other ladies were not even half way through their meals.
A complaint should have been made at the time but we all felt we did not want to embarrass or put under pressure the lady who organised the lunch.
I have had a residential stay at this hotel a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it but the food was again inconsistent during that stay. However the inconsistencies then were minor in comparison to this times experience.
Cannot fault the service by the waiters who were efficient , friendly and cheerful but I would have expected far better value for money from the food itself. Each choice on a menu should be of equal quality and value as every other choice. Don't think I will be returning to Armathwaite Hall Hotel again for a long time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 804JanetB
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I am just writing to thank you and your staff for a wonderful holiday at your hotel.
We stayed between 23rd April and 30th April 2013 in room 140 and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. ALL your staff were polite, efficient, and friendly and we can’t speak highly enough about the way we were treated
We dined in the main Dining room and Bistro, enjoying the food and quality of service in both; the friendliness, and efficiency of staff in both was exemplary.
We did not frequent your Spar per say but I had reason to purchase beauty creams via the reception staff and, me being a typical man, having no idea what I wanted, was reliant on their expertise. My wife and 93 year old neighbour were delighted with my purchase so a big thanks to the young lady at the reception.
Marilyn and I peeked into the Billiard room and after some considerable time were disappointed that we were unable to read more of your “Punch” type cartoons – they are epic!
It was nice to see a good quality hotel catering for dogs - to see people walking their dogs was homely

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple