“Perfect in every way!”

Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
“Perfect in every way!”
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

After reading the latest reviews I thought about writing this review.
This hotel is and probably one of the only last hidden away gems in the Lake District.

I have stayed here 4 times so far with the family bringing our dogs along too. Each and every visit has out done the last.
The service from reception staff, brasserie staff, house keeping and spa staff is the best I think you will find.
I have always found them to be completely understanding in any matter and if some issue has been raised they have always endeared to get it sorted ASAP.

I recently visited with my girlfriend for valentines weekend and from the start to the finish of the holiday we were made to feel like the only guests at the hotel. The room we had overlooked the front car park and huge open grounds and woods. The old stair case leading up the rooms is really something special. The old wood smell and wood panelling really does give the sense of getting away from all the modernity of daily life and makes you feel as if you really have gone back in time. The location and tranquility of this hotel really is break taking. It is something I look forward to each year.

The food is just incredible. That is all I need to say. Scallops or the parfait for starter any day. Simply the best!

When I last came there was a slight quibble with some champagne being added to the bill which we did not have but after speaking to reception it was all cleared up and sorted out. Within in no time they had it under control and could not apologise enough.

We are booking asa Family again for the weekend before Christmas this year and cannot wait to get back. We always end up talking about this hotel and the many many great times we have had when friends come over for drinks. It really is a memory maker whether for the family, as a couple or for some special occasion with friends. I honestly cannot rate this hotel highly enough. You need to experience this place to believe it!

Simply put, you need to experience it to believe it.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jonathan D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I forgot that there were still hotels like this: old fashioned; dark; quiet; smelling of smoke from the log fire; a dress code for dinner; and so it goes on.

It has to be said, the staff are great and this is its saving grace. They are friendly and efficient and can’t do enough for you.

The view from the Club Room was a fire escape and two gas storage tanks and every time hot water was run the pipe outside the window blasted off. The bathroom seriously needs bringing into the 21st Century. I was told that for a better view I would have needed to upgrade. God knows what those in steerage were looking at out of their windows.

Dinner was included on this offer of £229 for two people – which on balance was expensive for this dated hotel and even more dated dining experience. We did get a refund of £25 for my lamb dish which was tough and tasteless – but it shouldn’t have been like that in the first place.

I get the feeling that the large hotels in the Lakes are nothing more than money making machines and pander to foreign tourists who love the old style and think we all live like this. For me, visions of a hound wailing in the background, and the expectation of Sherlock Holmes walking into the dark wood panelled lounge and darker everywhere else reminded me that the world had moved on since Queen Victoria.

Room Tip: Pay a fortune
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LeoDurham
GMsteele, Owner at Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Whilst we appreciate that your experience did not match your expectations, I would like to stipulate that we have combined the traditional beautiful wood panelled stately home and awesome lake views with a £6 million state of the art spa with contemporary brasserie dining. It would appear that you missed this..? Luxury Country House Hotel; as Sherlock Holmes said, '...the 'clue' is in the name Watson...'.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We had a recent 2 night stay and tried out the spa, restaurant in the evening and breakfast. Firstly the staff were all very friendly and helpful and cannot fault their service. The room was not the cheapest on offer, was nicely (if a bit fussy) decorated but on the small side for the price. The evening meal was unremarkable considering the cost; my seafood dish was very heavy on the cream with very little flavour and only prawns as the shellfish contribution. Cheese course with only salty cheesy biscuits and breakfast scrambled egg from powdered seemed to show lack of attention to detail. The spa was very good and worth a visit; the gym was also great (for those who need it!).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Big_Shug
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Just spent Friday & Saturday here on a Secret Escape deal. Every member of staff we encountered during our stay, without exception, was friendly, considerate and nothing was too much trouble. On Saturday morning my daughter called to say she and our 4 year old grandson were coming to join us. The reception staff were great sorting out a room for them and providing a dog bed & treats for her 2 dogs.
On Friday we had dinner in the Brasserie. The food was very good and the staff were friendly and polite. On Saturday we all had dinner in the Lakeview Restaurant. Again the food and service was great.
The spa is very modern, beautifully presented and the staff very welcoming. The treatment I had was lovely and relaxing. We all spent time in the pool. My grandson had a great time with the noodles and rings provided.
Armathwaite Hall is a lovely hotel in a wonderful setting. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and were impressed that a hotel of this calibre is genuinely child and dog friendly. We will deffinately be returning!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GMsteele, General Manager at Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for your glowing review of your experience at Armathwaite Hall. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. It was a pleasure to read your review and I thank you for taking the opportunity to recognise the contribution of the entire team in making your weekend stay with us a special one. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Manchester
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

My hubby & I booked this weekend via secret escapes & stayed in a Spa Room 143. The hallway leading to the room does pose a damp smell but none the less the room was very clean, did not smell of smoke but was Very small. Staff were very welcoming upon arrival & attentive. I had arranged prior to bring my little dog, which the hotel provided a bed & treats which I thought was a nice little touch. The room however had THE most annoying motion sensor light which came on for no apparent reason during the night, the shower head was impossible to reach & even was a struggle for my hubby who's over 6ft to reach & I felt like I was in a spaceship with the shower doors! The tile TV did not work which I was highly disappointed at as I was looking forward to the novelty of watching TV in the bath! Our first night I didn't sleep well at all due a repeatedly weird humming sound following by a ting which was constant every 15 mins & the second night was due to riff-raff guests shouting & yelling down the corridor not the conduct I except from such a high calibre hotel.

The courtyard restaurant food is is delicious, staff attentive, polite and full of personality. The spa is lovely & the hottub outside is a nice touch however despite repeatedly asking my hubby never got his complimentary glass of champagne as detailed when booked.

Breakfast was lovely but limited choice on the Buffett, & also cooked options, staff however were attentive & didn't mind we were late to breakfast on our first morning due to my morning sickness.

However grounds are beautiful, staff polite attentive but they did try to charge us for a breakfast supplement which was removed without question, I found strange & poses the question were they trying to get a bit of extra money out of us?

Overall a great stay, bed was comfy, room was lovely & staff/service good, would recommend & return.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Spent a very relaxing afternoon recently. The selection of pastries scones and sandwiches was amazing . Service first class , very family friendly . Cannot wait to go back.Have also been for lunch which was again very good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Afternoon Teas are a significant part of our business in the hotel and I am proud to say that we enjoy serving it. It is just lovely to read that one of our guests have taken the time to post a review, so thank you! We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon!
Cleator, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My Husband surprised me with stay at Armathwaite hall to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We have been here numerous times before and we love it! The staff were all friendly & attentative.
The menu in the lake view restaurant was varied and it was hard to choose just what to order. Once the choices were made we were not disappointed Reitas and Anatoli, the waiters , looked after our every need.
The room we stayed in had excellent views over Bassenthwaite Lake, it was beautifully furnished with an amazing bathroom although we spent most of our time in the Spa. We loved it so much we joined - you can't give better praise than that Armathwaite Hall we give you 10/10 and have done eveytime we have stayed there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Congratulations to you both on your anniversary. I am really pleased to read that your stay was a memorable one and that the staff were attentive and the food wonderful. The hotel spa is a fantastic contribution to Armathwaite Hall and is becoming increasingly popular with most of our visitors. We are very proud of it and thank you both for joining! I look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay which will hopefully before your next anniversary!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Overwater Hall
Overwater Hall
#1 of 1 in Ireby

Been to Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!