“Lovely Venue - shame about the staff!”

Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
North West
“Lovely Venue - shame about the staff!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2008

This hotel is beautiful and the scenery is fantastic.
The only issue is the staff, they are so incredibly rude!
I am under 30 and consider myself quite savvy when it comes to technology but when i was having issues turning on the plasma tv in the bathroom i was treated like I was incredibly dumb and was not worthy of being in this supposed 5* hotel!
When the guy turned up to my room to try to turn on the television, which by the way was actually broken, he continued to be rude and said said it would not be able to be fixed until the following day, which was when i was leaving.
The staff were also not very organised for our small conference with lunch not being prepared for the times specified and when it did turn up, no drinks were available.
Also, even though the food was lovely, the service was horrendous in the restaurant, no pleasantries and had to order drinks several times before they actually came and there was only our party of 8 there!
The bar shut at 11.30pm and again dealing with the staff after this time to get a drink was a painstaking task!
The shower was also not working properly and when i told the staff when iwas checking out, no apology or comment was made.
So if you want to go to an incredibly beautiful building with great surroundings and can get through the trip without haveing dealings with the staff, then i think it might be a nice place to stay, but just be warned!!!!

• Liked — Scenery / Views
  • Disliked — The RUDE Staff!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank nac28

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
CHESHIRE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2008

I wanted somewhere special to take my wife to celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary so searched the web and found what looked to be the perfect place ‘Armathwaite Hall Hotel’.
The place looked fantastic from their web site but I thought I would check the reviews on ‘TripAdvisor’ like I usually do. The reviews seemed to be polarized into two camps, those who loved the place and those who thought it was awful and so not wanting to risk disappointment I nearly didn’t book. It was to be a surprise but I ended up discussing it with my wife and we decided to book anyway.
I can only say what a fantastic decision that turned out to be. The hotel is fantastic, from the moment you turn off the main road on to the hotel drive you know the place is going to be special and when the hotel comes into view, we both said it looked amazing, like driving into ‘Brideshead Revisited’.
After realising what a lovely place you have found my first thought is that there must be a catch but from the moment we walked in to the hotel and up to reception to the sad moment we loaded the car to leave I can say the experience was great. The staff were brilliant, just the perfect balance between open friendly nature and well trained formal service that makes a stay at a hotel like this a special and memorable occasion. As this was a special occasion I didn’t mind the fact our one night stay at first seemed a little expensive, but after the six course, utterly fantastic dinner I decided it was an absolute bargain.
The only slight disappointment were the leisure facilities which were built in the 70’s I think and felt very tired, but the good news is they are building replacement facilities as I write this that should be open in December 08 so my wife and I are planning to stay again in Feb 09.
Overall we had a fantastic stay and I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending the hotel to anyone. Well done Armathwaite Hall 10 out of 10.

• Liked — The building, the setting, the food and the staff
  • Disliked — Having to go home
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gord0
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2008

GREAT Hotel.

I am a business development coach and, at times, I am asked "What is a GREAT company/organisation?"

A simple example is - it's like an orchestra full of world class soloists, that when directed with an insightfull Leader, play in total harmony a memorable symphony....

That was my experience of Armathwaite HALL.

Some guests comments from early years look pretty damming. If that is true, then one can only "take you hat off" for a Learning organisation.

As an engineer I look at a Life Cycle Approach to life and organisations.

BOOKING - direct with reservations. Open to negotiation - off-peak booking whilst on business. Tempted by value package to stay an additional night and travel onward refreshed - "WIn -WIN for both parties.

ARRIVAL - efficient and courtious.

ROOM - Clean, well decorated, touch of class. Attention to detail in many ways. (sad person that I am - noticed bathroom services had discreet in-line isolation valves to enhance maintenance). Evening "turn-down service" - had a real personal feel to it. Can't explain why - it's as if "your Mum" had been in your room taking care of you....

PUBLIC LOUNGES - Stately home, log fires in welcome lounge and lake lounge, peaceful, service discreet, friendly and efficient.
Used to host weddings - ideallic venue and location.

RESTUARANT - well what can I say - excellence personified!!!
Cullinary Art on a plate - presentation superb, tantilising blend of courses leads to an explosion of sensory delight blended with attentive staff and silver service....

GROUNDS - manicured, extensive grounds that caters for families as well as "love birds" (grin) - well I was one once in my tender years - Ahhhh...

COUNTRYSIDE - magnificent scenery with adjacent lake - see photo.

POOL and SPA - if there is a fly in the ointment, this is it. It is clean and tidy, well maintained, but, dated. New build commenced and should, I believe, lead to a 5 star rating therafter....

DEPARTURE - too soon, I'll be back....

SUMMATION - If there is one word that describes the Hotel that would be PRIDE. A pride that delivers a symphony of delight. Not just any symphony, a bespoke symphony tailored to you individual needs...

A HIGH PERFORMANCE TEAM in command performance.

Many thanks to all...

Jim

Managing Director

Zestco Ltd

• Liked — Whole Experience
  • Disliked — Small pool and Spa centre
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank PEAKPERFORMANCECOACH
North Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2008

Just returned home having celebrated my wifes birthday with a long weekend break at Armathwaite Hall. The Hall is a superb venue to make anyone feel special but the way the staff across all parts of the hotel treat guests is 1st class in customer service which equally makes you feel like a special guest to the Hall.

What a view to open up your curtains in a morning looking stright down
the grounds to the Lake settled at the foot of the mountains. Great walks (or rides!!) around the 400 acres of grounds which the Hall sits in.

Excellent food with the flambet of the day being cooked feet away from
your table then served to your table and cooked to your order perfectly. Beware also not to be booking lunch if you've enjoyed the breakfast at the hotel as it's filling enough to take you through to high tea!!

Great rooms.....................Just a geat place to visit

• Liked — The venue
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Chumleybird
Bexhill/Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2007

We Have been visiting Armathwaite for many years, and have just returned from a visit. The hotel was just as good as we remembered if anything better, the rooms have been upgraded and are now even more comfortable.The standard of freindly service is still the same as last time and the dining is as good as anything we have experienced anywhere. We will hopefully return next year for another short break. We live in Sussex and my only complaint is that Armathwaite is not nearer.
Sue and Richard

• Liked — The standard of service and the area of outstanding natural beauty plus the 5 star cuisine.
  • Disliked — Cant really think of anyhting in particular.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SCBexhill
county antrim
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2007

Our stay at the Armathwaite Hall Hotel was an experience. We have been to Cumbria on five previous occasions and seen all the sights so we were looking for somewhere special to luxuriate for a few days and boy did we get it right. So taken were we that we are at present encouraging our friends, many of whom are globe trotters, to sample the delights of Armathwaite Hall. We will certainly be back.

• Liked — excellence of food
  • Disliked — small bedroom
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lakelover2
north,uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2007

We stayed at Armathwaite for a friends wedding, which the hotel managed to spoil, so I can't take the blame for the booking! From the threadbare carpets to the uncaring staff and the filthy room, this was a disaster of almost biblical proportions. The room, supposedly 4 star, was so small that one of us had to sit on the bed if the other wanted to open the wardrobe door. The TV didn't work, so to entertain myself while waiting for my wife to finish her hair, I watched the damp patches on the walls growing inexorably towards one another. The floor had patches of grass on it (not growing, just not cleaned properly) and the bathroom had patches of black mould(actually growing). I believe that everyone should have a chance to put things right, but the hotel has declined to take any interest. I talked to both duty managers,but was not offered a room change, was refused any discount for the terrible state of the room, and was left in no doubt that they simply didn't care what I or anyone else thought.

• Liked — lake views
  • Disliked — The management
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank hitperson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
BEST WESTERN PLUS Castle Inn Hotel
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
Lyzzick Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Castlerigg

Been to Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!