Having spent £173 pound on an 'indulgence day' I was expecting something special. The grounds and spa facility themselves were spectacular. On arrival we were given a tour of the facilities, however we had to seek out information regarding when lunch was served, times of treatment etc, as staff had forgotten to issue our itinerary sheet for the day. it would have been nice to be offered a tea/coffee or soft drink on arrival, but these cost extra. There was however lots of water available.
The gym was well equipped and staff were at hand to provide any guidance you required. The equipment was modern, but I should have taken my headphones to plug into the entertainment on the cardiovascular equipment. There were plenty of towels and sweat towels available to use in the gym.
The whole water area was fantastic, with the exception of shortage of sun lounges at the pool side, in the morning there was one spare which is not adequate when there are two of you. In the afternoon there was no available sun lounges. The outside hot tub, pool, aroma room, steam room, sauna and indoor hot tub area were well maintained and clean.
The lunch was the most disappointing aspect of the day. Having worked out in the gym, swam and used the other water facilities myself and my friend had worked up quite an appetite. Although it states light lunch, the portions were very small and not enough to sustain energy levels from 10am to after 6pm. Water was served in a plastic jug with 'pimms' advertised on the side, I expected better from a quality hotel facility. Water during treatment was also served out of plastic beakers.
Part of the package included one and a half hours treatment. However my treatments only lasted one hour ten minutes. The treatment rooms were nicely lit with coloured wall lights, however the temperature throughout the treatment areas was on the cool side. The post treatment relaxation area was a nice room with warm blankets, but you had to walk through a well lit area to get to it. Better design would have had the treatment area corridor built onto the post treatment area. There was a mix up with both my own treatment and my friends when our therapists moved from one treatment to another, despite it being clearly documented on our itinerary.
In conclusion the facilities and surroundings were excellent, but the cost, poor organisation and amount of food served let it down.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Armathwaite Hall Country House Hotel and Spa is a beautiful four red star 17th-century former stately home situated near to Keswick on the shores of Bassenthwaite Lake. The hotel and spa is private owned and features forty six bedrooms of individual character from stylish spa bedrooms to the luxury of studio suites with stunning lake views. The rosette fine dining Lake View Restaurant serves table d’hote lunches and dinners in elegant surroundings to both residents and non resident guests. The Courtyard Bar and Brasserie is a stylish modern alternative serving meals in a relaxed atmosphere. Afternoon teas are served daily and are a great way to celebrate with family and friends. Licensed to hold civil ceremonies for romantic weddings up to 150 guests. The award winning spa, offers the best in facilities from the 16 meter infinity edge pool to the luxurious outdoor spa pool, thermal suite and life fitness gym. Ten treatment rooms including a double treatment room offer relaxing and soothing treatments to guests, day spa and members. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire and Cancelon so you can book your Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Armathwaite Hall Hotel Bassenthwaite
- Armathwaite Hall Keswick
- Armathwaite Hall Hotel Keswick
- Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa Bassenthwaite/Keswick, Lake District