“Very impressive Hotel”

Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Bassenthwaite
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I took my wife for an overnight stay at Armathwaite Hall and i must admit the place is very impressive! The hotel has fantastic views of the lakes and mountains which just looked like a picture postcard. The grounds are a delight to walk round and you could see all the wild rabbits running round. Staff are very friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble. We were part of a package that was booked through Secret Escapes which included afternoon tea, a glass of bubbly in the hot tub and your evening meal. The only thing i would suggest is that you are told exactly what you can have. We had to ask twice for the drink in the hot tub and we felt a bit awkward having to ask for things that were included. This did not spoil the day though. Our room was on the second floor which was handy for reception. We did not have a very good view from the window, but again this did not spoil our time there! Food was great, but beware the drinks are very expensive, which you expect anyway in this sort of hotel. The spa is fantastic! I would recommend it. Overall a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake at the back of the hotel
1  Thank turbs59
There are newer reviews for Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa

Reviewed April 15, 2012

My wife booked a night at Armathwaite hall for our 10th wedding anniversary on a dinner, B&B, cream tea deal.

From the moment we arrived at the hotel the staff were absolutely fantastic and more than happy to help - it was great to see staff who combined service and humour. In particular the French waitress in the Brasserie was outstanding and the way she interacted with the children eating was out of this world (very different from some reviews claiming the hotel is child unfriendly).

Our room was in the main building and was very tastefully decorated with stunning views across Bassenthwaite and a very stylish and modern bathroom including a mirror that was actually a TV. There was also a lovely touch of a box of chocolates and a congratulations card from Simon the manager.

The night we stayed there was a wedding on but there were no problems with noise whatsoever.

The spa is modern and very well maintained and tranquil. I appreciate some peoples comments about children not being allowed but this was a bonus for us.

Overall I'm struggling to find anything at all to fault and can highly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

My husband booked a night at Armathwaite to celebrate our anniversary. Our beautiful room was very large with wonderful views over the lawn towards the lake. So many doors leading to the loo (raised on a plinth in a tower), a small walk-in wardrobe, a huge bathroom (sunk in bath, TV! Set in the wall, wonderful shower) and a secret spiral staircase! leading to a larged decked area with views to die for.
The spa, and I love my spas, was one of the very best, with exceptional staff and a wonderful massage that literally was head to toe. Easter meant children in the pool but not the outdoor hot tub where champagne is served if you want it, and we sat in the sun, looking at the view enjoying the bubbles.
Dinner was a joy! From the tiny cup of asparagus soup, to the handmade chocolates served in front of the fire. Every mouthful was a delight!!
Breakfast was good but if a little busy, (the hotel was full). I found the copper lidded servers heavy to lift and caused a bit of a queue,
Staff at Armathwaite are helpful, pleasant, efficient in a nice way, not stuffy. The walk around the grounds is lovely in an unspoilt way, the walk goes through the caravan park back to the hotel.
I would love to return to Armathwaite and I am sure we will, very soon. Very well done to the whole team.

Room Tip: We checked out a more basic room for next time, it was very well appointed with a small walled outdo...
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Stayed on 1 night spa package break with a friend. The hotel is impressive as you drive up to the entrance - very old and traditional with a spectacular setting overlooking the lake. We had a twin club room - very top floor with a great balcony overlooking the gardens and part of the lake. Room was good, quite spacious and traditionally decorated with a decent bathroom. Water in shower was very underpowered but it is an old building and we were high up! Hotel staff were all friendly and helpful.

The best part of our stay was the spa - it was the best I have seen. It all looked very new and the outdoor hot tub is fantastic. The treatment rooms are all upstairs and the whole experience was relaxed; I had a facial (it was fabulous) and a lovely relaxing back/neck massage. The relaxation room used after treatments was a plus too.

We ate in the restaurant in the evening - great setting and good service. The food was excellent, apart from a steak I ordered which was very fatty and tough (and no steak knives provided). The food in the spa bistro was good too - we only ate there during the day but it is open at night. Breakfast was a hot or cold serve yourself buffet.

All in all, a thoroughly relaxing place to stay. The weather wasn't good but it didn't affect our stay at all. Highly recommended whether for a group, a couple or with a friend.

Room Tip: Ring ahead and be specific about your needs. The club room on the very top floor was great for the p...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Well what can I say... We have just had afternoon tea and I must say it is the best I have ever experienced:)
The location is amazing with stunning views. The service was superb and the food is simply delicious. So much we even had to take some home. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank LondonKatB
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I visited Armathwaite hall to celebrate my 30th Birthday and was pleasantly surprised. It really is 5 star luxury. My boyfriend and I sipped a glass of champagne in the outside hot tub, which was a memory I will never forget.

The spa treatments were also amazing and the food was lovely although I did find a hair in my burger... which cost £13!!!

All in all, it was a lovely trip but I think rather expensive.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I rate "Excellent" because overall it was the PERFECT stay for a much needed holiday (Service, Staff Responsiveness, Condition of Rooms, Grounds, Food). It was rural enough to give you quiet dawns and dusks, but close enough to Keswick that you didn't feel so isolated. The staff were all professional -- and Jemma (sp??) was AWESOME...she was able to put me into a Lakeview room w/ canopy bed and it was beyond amazing! I'm still amazed by the entire stay.

Pictures won't do it justice--especially if you are the kind who likes hills, lakes, hikes, long walks...your eyes must witness the place in real life. The Hall itself is stately but not so much that you feel like you can't touch anything. It's very inviting.

Here are the things to keep in mind: 1) sometimes wedding folks can be rowdy and the walls won't keep out VERY LOUD noises. First night there, a wedding party (the guests) decided it was in their best interest to raise a raucous until about 4am. They were on my side of the house so unfortunately, I heard it all -- but since I was still jet-lagged and it was someone's wedding day, i let it slide. Otherwise, they should have been warned, told to be quiet, or go home. 2) if there is a wedding party and you want to eat at the Brasserie and no one's there, don't be afraid to get one of the staff to find the colleague who's supposed to be "manning" the Brasserie...one of the nights, there was a wedding reception and while the Brasserie was open, no staff were there, so I went to the Spa and got one of the staff there to find their colleagues...and 2 minutes later the person was taking my order... Brasserie food is good though and they accommodated my dietary needs without complaint every time. 3) No lift / elevator in the house but the staff are VERY helpful with luggage.

Honestly, the entire stay was excellent -- but if you're one of those who would be very upset at anything I mentioned above, you should call them and get a weekend where a wedding is likely -- good luck, cause it's so beautiful out there that I can see why it's a popular destination. Can't wait to return one day...

Room Tip: Get a double so you get a bigger bed -- and I'd say go for a room with a Lakeview -- to wake up...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bassenthwaite
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Overwater Hall
Overwater Hall
#1 of 1 in Ireby
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Been to Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!