OK, it wasn't perfect. Quibbles - none of them fatal - include irritating piped music, all scraps of recognisable works, in the restaurant. Every time you start listening it switches to the next piece, Chopin to Mozart etc., never a whole work. We arrived just before dinner and they offered us free sherry at check-in, but it was medium sherry only, no dry.
Room overstuffed with double layers of heavy lined curtains and quilts - wish they would remove these in the summer. Good bathroom, shower even had decent pressure, temp control and angle (notable in Britain where so few showers simply work). Not enough towel rails.
Modern extension to the grand building built in sympathetic style, at least on the outside. Staff all v helpful, tho wifi does not work reliably even in the public rooms and not at all in the bedrooms. It does in the computer room above the brasserie.
Restaurant does not live up to its price range. My chicken breast (not a cut i usually order, but it came with things I liked) dry and dull, wild mushrooms etc somewhat skimpy and underflavoured and advertised tarragon imperceptible. My partner's fillet cooked blue rather than rare as ordered (an uncommon error) but good. Cheese plate a bit dull, just 2 rather similar hard cheeses. Expensive without being at all exciting or even really reliable. Only a few wines by the glass.
Breakfast buffet excellent. Really good rolls, OK tiny croissants, prosciutto crudo as well as ham, salami etc, cheese, + British cooked breakfast standard items, + you could ask for other things as well. Real butter and milk, no messing about with skim milk and margarine or umpteen jams in packets.
But hell, at GBP129 for bed and breakfast in a splendid setting like that it's fantastic value, just skip the dinner. There's a pool, and a warm outdoor spa pool from which you can watch the squirrels and rabbits on the lawn.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Armathwaite Hall Country House Hotel and Spa is a beautiful four red star 17th-century former stately home situated near to Keswick on the shores of Bassenthwaite Lake. The hotel and spa is private owned and features forty six bedrooms of individual character from stylish spa bedrooms to the luxury of studio suites with stunning lake views. The rosette fine dining Lake View Restaurant serves table d’hote lunches and dinners in elegant surroundings to both residents and non resident guests. The Courtyard Bar and Brasserie is a stylish modern alternative serving meals in a relaxed atmosphere. Afternoon teas are served daily and are a great way to celebrate with family and friends. Licensed to hold civil ceremonies for romantic weddings up to 150 guests. The award winning spa, offers the best in facilities from the 16 meter infinity edge pool to the luxurious outdoor spa pool, thermal suite and life fitness gym. Ten treatment rooms including a double treatment room offer relaxing and soothing treatments to guests, day spa and members. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Armathwaite Hall Hotel Bassenthwaite
- Armathwaite Hall Keswick
- Armathwaite Hall Hotel Keswick
- Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa Bassenthwaite/Keswick, Lake District