“Great food, welcome and ambiance”
Review of The Sun Inn

The Sun Inn
Cuisines: Pub
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: we are dog friendly and child friendly with a choice of home cooked meals from burgers to steak pies to light salads, gluten free choices on our menu and Monday night is curry night ( also providing full menu) specials provided daily and lovely desserts to tempt you
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We were warey in booking to eat at the Sun Inn based on previous reviews. In the past, we have eaten there twice and each time came away having enjoyed the experience. We were staying at nearby Willow Barn Cottage and got my aunt and uncle to book as they are residents in the area. They also said that the Sun Inn had had some bad press but were willing to give it a try as they hadn't eaten there for some time. On entering we went to our table which, although near others, was not so close that the other diners were obtrusive. The menu was extensive and looked delicious. On going to the bar to order our meals and drinks, my order was taken by the female owner who exuded friendliness and gave excellent food knowledge advice when questioned about a particular item on the menu. The meals came quicky and were thoroughly enjoyed by all 4 of us. 2 further encounters with the female owner were again met with a fiendly word and a bit of good humoured banter. The young girls, who served us, were polite and very efficient. We left, having had an excellent meal, great ale and an all round excellent night. Based on this experience, I would not hesitate in recommending the Sun Inn.

2  Thank MtheP

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Although reading the reviews here i thought i will try it once as a local person, and i have came here first time to have a pint on my day off. the pint was good although a bit pricey.. after drinking out side i wanted just a BOWL OF CHIPS & A SMALL SALAD.
I was alone and wanted to have it near the bar & fire place just as a snack...
It was Monday 5 after noon and it was VERY quiet, only 3 people in the pub and all of them next to the tables eating.
The owners told me i just CAN'T eat my chips next to the bar because IF a big group will come to drink they wont have where to drink (i have said i will be happy to move IF a big group will come...) reminding him its Monday afternoon, not even time for dinner... then the women behind the bar turn around to me and telling me that they WILL NOT serve me the food next to the bar and i need to have it next to the table.
Well - i just walked out without even finish my pint. and trust me, as a local hotel manager i will NEVER recommend this place until the service and owners will be much much better, i just don't need my guests to have this poor experience as well !!!

13  Thank Karen O
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Just eaten here for two nights. A warm welcome awaits you a menu with so much to choose from it is a very difficult choice. Service is very good from ordering to arriving at the table. Once starters where finished plates cleared away and mains brought after only a short wait. The wait depends on how busy it is Saturday evening much busier then Sunday but I would prefer to wait and know I am being served freshly cooked food. Main may be a little pricey but know different to other parts of the Lakes but is good value for money.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Having read some previous reviews we were a bit apprehensive about eating here but as we were staying in the village of Bassenthwaite we decided to give it a try.
We arrived at The Sun Inn at 5pm and noticed that all the tables had been reserved but asked if there was any chance they could fit us in and how glad we were they could.
The staff were very friendly and efficient, the place itself was totally spotless and the menu had a great choice for children and adults. My husband opted for the steak and ale pie which was cooked to perfection with the delicious meat melting in the mouth, I had the chefs own fishcake which was absoloutely delicious and our daughter had the childrens beefburger which she said was really nice because it hadn't been overcooked like some places.
As the next night was a Friday we asked if we could book again which was no problem. Again the food was delicious and this time we opted for pudding aswell-I highly recommend the orange and stem ginger cheesecake!
I don't personally like to eat in places where dogs are allowed but the couple of dogs that were in well behaved and kept away from diners so were not an issue.
There was a mixture of clients from families to couples to walkers and locals so this pub had a lovely welcoming atmosphere and we will definately be back.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We were staying locally and despite having read mixed reviews on trip advisor decided to give the sun a go and form our own opinion. We first visited on a Sunday evening and found the staff to be friendly and cheerful, the service was good and food tasted freshly prepared. We went away with good impressions and decided that we would go back later in the week. On Thursday we went back in the evening for another meal with good expectations given our experience on the Sunday, however sadly our experience was not the same. The service was still good and the staff were friendly, however the food was completely different. Two of our group had the steak and ale pie and the short crust pastry was so hard we struggled to cut it with the knifes provided and eating it was a similar challenge. The mash potato had a distinct and unusual flavor like the same had been mashed using butter that had passed its best! The other people in our group also felt their food was not as good as Monday. Perhaps a different chef?? So some good, some bad, seems to depend on when you go or the luck of the draw.

1  Thank The-Whatfield-Three