“Not for Beach Lovers”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
Aurora, Ont
“Not for Beach Lovers”
Reviewed February 28, 2007

Just returned from 5 night stay at the Paradisus. Overall the resort is good, with exceptional rooms (we were in their Royal Service buildings), great pools and grounds. Staff were friendly and went out of their way to help. Food was varied from a great breakfast buffet to a so so dinner buffet. The theme restaurants were decent although the service was a little slow (Italien)

The beach was poor so if you are a beach person who likes to walk the beach and swim in the ocean this is not the place.

Traffic in Puerto Rico is bad so plan lots of time to get to places. Every trip was twice the time we were told. Took us over 1 1/2 hours to get from gthe hotel to Old San Juan.

Weather was good, had a couple of rain storms that blew through in about 15 minutes.

Next to the property is the CoCo Beach golf resort with 36 holes. The Palms (9 holes) is the tighest course I have ever seen. No room for spraying as the jungle takes all! THe Mountain (9 Holes) has some great view and holes but also a couple of quirky ones. The other 9's Lakes and Ocean are a little more forgiving. Not cheap though as a round and rentals cost $200 US

THe Paradisus presently is the only All Inclusive in puerto rico but as of May it is dropping the all inclusive option. THey are getting ready to start a new Caribe (another Sol Melia chain) but it will not be ready for a year of more at least.

Overall we had a good time but given the beach situation and the cost of the package and now losing the all inclusive I probably would not go back. I have stayed at the Paradisus in the Mayan and would rate it better than this.

As a side trip we did one of the Catamaran snorkling days. (Spread Eagle 2 was the catamaran)Water and boat ride were fun, (although first one I have been on the drinks are not all included in the price) but the snorkling was mediocre at best.

• Liked — Rooms and pools were excellent
  • Disliked — Beach was poor
  • Stayed February 2007
6 Thank M'times

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,420)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Montreal
Reviewed February 27, 2007

The resort is quite beautifull.
However the resort is like a hair band rock concert. Lots of beautifull sites but lacking in substance.
My room unfortunately had a break in and my wedding ring was stolen. I was quite annoyed at the relaxed and non pro active attitude of the staff. Restaurant reservation system leaves a lot to be desired. Variety of food is non existant. However standing ovation for the Avacado restaurant excellent steaks.
Room was clean.
However security around the rooms leave a lot to be desired. I often saw several rooms in a row left open while 1 maid cleaned them leaving it quite vulnerable for theft as I experience......
Stay at your risk

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — My ring was stolen
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank Bracca
st.louis
Reviewed February 25, 2007

I was worried about our upcoming stay here. I read the reviews and was nervous. My husband and I came here on a business retreat on Feb 14-19, so maybe they beefed up the service because they knew they had a big group coming. We never had any problem with the staff. Each one of our requests were met without any wait. I was always greeted by the staff as they passed by me, and most would ask if I needed anything. We were always able to eat at the time of our reservation without any wait. They had a large variety of food to eat. The breakfasts were excellent, especially the omlets. Lunches were a little simpler, and our suppers were very good. We ate at Avocados, and Romanticos. Both were good, but Romanticos was better. We were serenaded by a violinist there. He could play anything. My only issue with the food was you could only get snacks from 3-5, and for us, that wasn't the best time. I will say I was glad to be forwarned about the beach. It's great to stroll on with shoes, but it's definately not a white sand, big beach. I thought the pool made up for it. Drinks were great. I would definately recommend this resort. We had a great time. The weather was perfect, the spa was very good, the rooms were nice. There were over 100 people in our group. I never heard anything but positive from the people I talked to.

• Liked — Very beautiful pool
  • Disliked — beach
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank marapr95
gomo42
Reviewed February 23, 2007

My family and I stayed @ the Paradisus for 6 days. We had a wonderful time. The staff was very helpful and always smiling. Our rooms were ready upon arrival. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated. I would recommend requesting the second floor, that way you can leave your balcony door open througout the day and night. Room service was great, but keep in mind unless you have Royal Service there is a $3 fee. The beach was beatiful and the pool was amazing. Royal Service was very convenient. They held a cabana for us at the pool and made all of our restaurant reservations. They also were very helpful about giving us directions to the rainforest and San Juan. The resort priovided a golfcart driven by one of the workers for transportation which made our stay easier since the hotel is somewhat spread out. We rented a car which was great. We could go to places whenever we wanted. Driving was not too difficult either. The restaurants were pretty good. Some of them didn't have much of a variety of food. Mirador Grill was one of the best restaraunts. The lobby was huge , they have an open lounge where many families hung out throughtout the day and night. The hotel also provided boardgames for everyone. I would defenitly recomemedd this hotel to anyone, and I hope to one day go back!

• Liked — It was located in a gated area so we always felt safe
  • Disliked — The beach could have been nicer
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Melissa M
Michigan
Reviewed February 19, 2007

I have to say that I am shocked by all of the bad reviews on here! I was at the Paradissus in April of 2005 and it was fabulous - no complaints! The room was gorgeous, very clean and even with a balcony to sit on. The resort was very safe (important for two young women travelling alone together) and the staff was beyond friendly. Every restaurant was excellent and I have been to many top-notch restaurants in the U.S. We would go back in a heartbeat and recommend it to everyone we know. Additionally, the tour desk and concierge service were excellent. This was the best all-inclusive resort I have been to in the Caribbean and Mexico. Ignore the negative comments and see it for yourself!

• Liked — The friendly staff and the good food
  • Disliked — Distance from San Juan
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank islandbarbiegirl
Houston TX
Reviewed February 19, 2007

Having been to Puerto Rico several times before, we were able to avoid some of the potential hassles and overall had a really nice time. Hopefully, some of these tips can help you. The hotels in PR tend to be pricy - Paradisus included. However, Paradisus serves decent food in the buffets, very good food in the reservations required places and has top shelf drinks included - the value is not bad as compared to other places. Paradisus has nice, large rooms with balconies. The beach is OK, not great. But the pools are wonderful and the place is large - i.e. not crowded. The service staff is primarily younger folks (this is not their career unlike what you find in many other Carribean destinations) - you see many of the things that can come with that - service is not always rapid fire or accurate - but it is generally very good. The hotel is well outside of San Juan. If you want to do excursions with a tour company, you get stuck with the inevitable waits you see anywhere in the world. (I abhor waits and shuttles) Here's some advice - if you are going to leave the resort and tour or partake in excursions, rent a car. Driving in PR is easy, rental cars are cheap, picking them up at the airport is fast and easy, self park is close to the rooms. A lot of cool stuff can be done on your own, you don't need a tour company. Or, hook up with the tour company at the destination rather than waiting on a shuttle. There are a lot of people from the North East. They, generally, have a more brusque approach to things - if that really bothers you, don't go to PR because it is a big destination for New Yorkers.

• Liked — Very good spa
  • Disliked — distance from room to pool etc.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SkiKat
yalesville
Reviewed February 14, 2007

I felt I needed to add a review to this website after using it in preparation for our family's trip. I read through many reviews ranging from "this place is hell on earth", to "greatest destination I have ever been." After the reviews I did not know what to expect, but I trusted my family's decision and could not wait to get away. Our party included 18 people ranging in age from my grandparents to young cousins. I am a 29 year old male. I should note here that our last family trip to an all-inclusive resort was a disaster. Stay away from Playa Naco in the Dominican Republic at all costs. Paradisus was head and shoulders above our last experience. The trip to and from the airport was about 40 minutes by van and not bad at all. Our first order of business was an upgrade to royal service. I recommend this move if your budget allows. It provided access to a few extra ammenities including a separate royal service pool (ask for the mojitos), and some upgrades in rooms and dining. The all inclusive food and drink worked out very well for our party. It was great to be able to eat or get a drink at any time, day or night. My uncle was able to force me into a shot of tequila and a beer as I stepped out of breakfast one morning. The quality of the food was very good over all. This included the breakfast (good omelettes) and lunch buffets, and all of the different restaurants on sight. The only negatives here were the slow service at one or two of the restaurants, and some confusion over reservations. Not bad over all. Room service (try the quesadilla) and butlers were also free with royal service. The main pool in the center of the resort was a lot of fun for all including water basketball and other sports. I should note here, if you are a looking for a beach-front resort, paradisus is not for you. The pools were great and there was a beach volleyball court. The sand and beach area were not great. The staff and service was very competent and friendly over all, including one woman with beautiful eyes that my brother is still talking about. Some slow service in the restaurants but we had a party of 18 to serve each night. We were lucky enough to have great weather for most of the week. A little overcast and rain at times. The resort did get buggy at night and my feet and ankles were pretty bitten up all week. On our last night we were fortunate enough to catch the "white party." A dance party where guests and staff (yes she was there) showed up wearing white and we danced and drank until the wee hours of the morning. A great way to end the week. My family's review was very positive over all. We all had a great time and I would recommend the resort. My major complaints were the lack of a great beach area and the bugs. I think I covered the important points and I hope you find the review helpful. Bring your sunblock and bug spray and enjoy the trip. Have a mojito for me.

Stayed December 2006
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,704 reviews
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!