Just returned from 5 night stay at the Paradisus. Overall the resort is good, with exceptional rooms (we were in their Royal Service buildings), great pools and grounds. Staff were friendly and went out of their way to help. Food was varied from a great breakfast buffet to a so so dinner buffet. The theme restaurants were decent although the service was a little slow (Italien)
The beach was poor so if you are a beach person who likes to walk the beach and swim in the ocean this is not the place.
Traffic in Puerto Rico is bad so plan lots of time to get to places. Every trip was twice the time we were told. Took us over 1 1/2 hours to get from gthe hotel to Old San Juan.
Weather was good, had a couple of rain storms that blew through in about 15 minutes.
Next to the property is the CoCo Beach golf resort with 36 holes. The Palms (9 holes) is the tighest course I have ever seen. No room for spraying as the jungle takes all! THe Mountain (9 Holes) has some great view and holes but also a couple of quirky ones. The other 9's Lakes and Ocean are a little more forgiving. Not cheap though as a round and rentals cost $200 US
THe Paradisus presently is the only All Inclusive in puerto rico but as of May it is dropping the all inclusive option. THey are getting ready to start a new Caribe (another Sol Melia chain) but it will not be ready for a year of more at least.
Overall we had a good time but given the beach situation and the cost of the package and now losing the all inclusive I probably would not go back. I have stayed at the Paradisus in the Mayan and would rate it better than this.
As a side trip we did one of the Catamaran snorkling days. (Spread Eagle 2 was the catamaran)Water and boat ride were fun, (although first one I have been on the drinks are not all included in the price) but the snorkling was mediocre at best.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With an idyllic location on Puerto Rico's northeastern coast in Coco Beach, Rio Grande, Gran Melia Puerto Rico brings the privacy and exclusivity you deserve and allows you the opportunity to escape from the rest of the world. From the moment you step inside this tropical oasis, you will be enveloped by the beauty and grandeur of Gran Melia Puerto Rico. Boasting a world-class YHI spa, the nearby Trump International Golf Club and the best pool on the island with four integrated whirlpools, Gran Melia Puerto Rico is the place to live the true resort experience in Puerto Rico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Prodigios Interactivos SA, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Hotel Rio Grande
- Gran Melia Rio Grande
- Sol Melia Rio Grande
- Paradisus Puerto Rico
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Rio Grande