“Below Average Paradisus”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Boston
“Below Average Paradisus”
Reviewed February 6, 2007

What a rip off. I took my daughter here to check it out, because I am a travel agent. The staff knew this upon my arrival, so they immediately upgraded us to Royal Service. I can't imagine what our stay would have been like if we didn't have this service. The greatest benefit is that you get to use the private pool area with the beautiful palapas. That is, if you are lucky enough to get one or grease the pool attendant early enough in the morning. The other benefit is the rooms are larger and most have a view of the water. Ours didn't.

Our room had the most disgusting smell - reminiscent of a barn. The beds were hard and uncomfortable. Look out for the bugs. We were on the first floor, and I could hear feet pounding above us in the late evening and early morning. Nothing bothers me more.

The food was mediocre, at best. Everything is the same, day in and day out. We made reservations for the a la carte restaurants, which, after the rigamarole of trying to get a reservation, should have been fabulous. In actuality, the food was the same as it was in the regular dining areas - only the linens were different. We walked out of the Japanese restaurant, because no one came over to serve us, after waiting for 25 minutes.

We avoided the general pool area, because hearing the noise from a half mile away was enough to tell me I didn't need to partake in the activities. It was full of loud, drunk, obnoxiouos people who have no regard for personal space.

If your travel agent steers you in this direction, run, don't walk. There are many, many wonderful places and resorts on this magnificent island. After 72 hours, we left for the comfort of El Conquistador, and all was well.

• Liked — The property
  • Disliked — The rooms and food
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank sci

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,471)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
NY
Reviewed February 5, 2007

There was food left outside the neighbors door for 3 DAYS! We had to make alot of noise to get rid of the birds etc to get away from eating it so that we could get back into the room.
Many,many complaints were necessary to finally have it removed.

• Liked — The pool and poolside bar
  • Disliked — Food left outside the room
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank dk190
Minnesota
Reviewed February 4, 2007

We just returned from a week at the Paradisus. It's absolutely beautiful and the staff is for the most part pretty friendly. As many others have stated, this place falls short in many ways and we were quite disappointed. We got there and were told that they were only at a 23% occupancy. We thought great, we will have no problems eating where we want. We are then told that you have to book reservations for you dinners way ahead. We tried to get in somewhere the first night we got there and were told there were no openings! With 23% occupancy, how can the restaurants be full? We were on a company trip so I mentioned this to our Marketing director who proceeded to check on the reservations himself and they gave him 10 spots at 3 different restaurants?? How does that work? The food was pretty good tasting however; it was ALWAYS cold at the buffets and not just a little cold. You would expect better quality of food at such a nice all-inclusive. We were wondering if there is ever any sort of Health Dept. that inspects and checks the foods temps. Also, for an all-inclusive they don't make foods very readily available. There is a very limited room service menu. There is no grill or anything right at the pool. You have to go into one of the restuarants to eat. Also, none of the staff is eager to get you another drink, many times we had to just go to the bar and get our own. This is definetly a beautiful place but for the money you could go to an all-inclusive in Mexico and get much better service and food. We will not go back here.

Stayed January 2007
7 Thank jstorms
New York City
Reviewed January 28, 2007

My husband and I just returned from the Paradisus and I am happy to say that I dropped a few pounds because the food was so horrible.
Let me say that the grounds are lovely, the rooms are large and clean, the bathrooms are very ample, the pool is gorgeous and the help could not be nicer.
However, with the price they charge they should be ashamed to serve the meals they put out. Also, even with the Royal Service we were unable to get into two of the restaurants we wanted (I was surprised the Royal Service desk did not know which nights several of the dinner restaurants were closed).
My suggestion, for an all inclusive is go to Club Med. It is not 5 star but it does not pretend to be like the Paradisus does.

• Liked — very comfy bed
  • Disliked — the food
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mshdhntr
Midwest
Reviewed January 19, 2007

I stayed at the Paradisius for 5 days for a business trip. My delight at the goreous scenery, huge pool and luxe furniture faded and soured as the week wore until I was finally so appalled at the way the hotel was managed I gave up trying to enjoy the place. Although the staff generally seemed like nice people trying to do their jobs, nothing went smoothly. Getting an issue resolved from the staff gave me the same feeling of helpless frustration that I often feel when calling a customer support center in Bangalore to get a computer fixed. Minor inconveniences like water not working, bugs in the room, repeat buffet food, or lost reservations might be fine if you're staying here for pleasure and are enjoying all the cocktails the hotel generously pours, however, as a business traveller trying to make efficient use of my short time there, I found the experience quite antagonist. Here's the details of just one of these inconvenineces:

Upon check-in, I found tiny ants (or some other bug - hopefully not bed bugs) in my room, and requested to be moved to another room. I was asked if I had called engineering to resolve the issue, and was told that I had to follow procedure before changing rooms. The "engineering" staff (an employee with a spray can) sprayed the part of the room where I had seen the ants, and left me with a foamy residue. A few hours later I spotted more ants in other parts of the room, and got some more spray. Not suprisingly, I kept seeing ants and finally when I saw that they had moved into the clothing in my open suitcase, I called and requested a room change. They promised a bellman would come immediately to take me to a new room, and 45 minutes later, the bellman had not arrived and I had missed my dinner. I requested an appointment with the manager the next morning to discuss my frustration with this issue (and several others too tedious to discuss here), and scheduled an appointment at 11 am. I arrived at the check-out desk at 10:15, and was still checking out at 11 AM due to several errors in billing (double charges for phone, etc). I waited for the manager until 11:20, but could no longer wait, and left the hotel feeling insulted and a bit bug-paranoid.

• Liked — Appearance
  • Disliked — Experience
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
14 Thank Traveler1234567
Rockville, MD
Reviewed January 15, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Paradisus during the Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend. We read the reviews before we booked our vacation and decided to go to Paradisus since our first choice hotel was booked solid that weekend. Thankfully, we were not disappointed.

Personnel - 4 out 5 stars
8 out 10 staff members smiled and greeted us. We didn't have any issues checking in or checking out. The operator was always there to pick up the phone and helped us. Everyone was friendly and attentive.

Food & Drinks - 3 out of 5 stars overall, but some restaurants are better than others

We didn't use room service, so we can't comment on that. We had breakfast at Caribeno and Mirador Grill. We found Caribeno to be better than Mirador Grill for food quality. The outdoor seating at Mirador Grill is nice and convenient if you've been out at the beach or the pool all day, but there were bees by the desserts and pastries - at times I wasn't able to get desserts and pastries because I was afraid of the bees. Mirador Grill is also open for snacks in the late afternoon. We had dinner at Avocado (steak house), Romantico (fine dining) and Bamboo (Japanese steak house). Avocado was below average for your usual steak house - the appetizer and desserts were buffet style, but the main course is ordered from the menu. We liked Romantico and Bamboo much better (both are not buffet style). Make sure to wear pants for Romantico, we saw a guy who was asked to change since he had shorts on. Other restaurants were not as formal, but people did somewhat dress up for dinner. We didn't have any issues with dinner reservations (we made our reservations right after we checked in), but the hotel didn't seem to be booked when we were there.

Facility - 4 out of 5 stars
The grounds are beautiful and nicely kept. We didn't use the spa service - I called the spa twice but noone picked up the phone, so we just decided not to get spa services. We stayed in a Jr. Suite - it was roomy and clean, it also has a small balcony. We were in building 7 by the villas, which is about 0.3 miles away from the lobby, pool and restaurants. It's a nice walk from the room to the pool because of the beautiful grounds. They have a shuttle that just goes around and around the resort. They always stopped to offer us a ride, but we declined most of the time since we wanted to walk off all that food that we ate!

Casino - 3 out 5 stars
I'm not a big gambler, but we stopped by one night just to check it out. It is small, but aren't many Caribbean hotel casinos? They have slot machines, blackjack tables, poker tables, roulette and Texas hold'em poker. A great thing about the casino is it's smoke free (maybe not good for some, but this is a great plus for us).

Beach - 3 out of 5 stars
Definitely not a white sandy beach, but not rocky enough that you need shoes to walk on the beach. Water was calm and warm. We also went out on a kayak and a paddle boat. Easy enough to rent - just sign a waiver and pick one to take out in the ocean. They also have hobie cats and one of the staff members goes out with you. Be careful as you may get stuck when the current is strong and the wind is working against you - my husband had to help these 2 teenage girls who didn't seem to be strong enough to paddle back to the beach.

Pool - 5 out of 5 stars
Nice, big pool, with a swim up bar. There are jacuzzi areas (not hot tubs) in the pool and also in-water lounge chairs. There were plenty of lounge chairs when we were there. Sunday was more packed, but we always got to the pool early enough (around 9:30 am) to pick our spot. They also have cabanas that you can lounge in, just go early and put your bag or towel there to mark it. Proved to be useful when the intermitten rain came (which usually lasted about 5 minutes and then it was dry and sunny again).

Guests
I was afraid the resort will be full of drunk college students since it's all inclusive, but thankfully we didn't see any. But we went in January, not during spring break, so I don't know what their clientele is like throughout the year. When we were there, we saw a lot of families (the kids are about elementary school age) and couples (about mid 30's and up). We're in our early 30's and we're happy to have a quiet vacation with no distractions. We didn't see a lot of honeymooners, but it wasn't during a honeymoon season. We did see a wedding party who seemed to have a lovely wedding at the outdoor chapel.

Others
While we were there, we didn't see one mosquito. We saw birds, small lizards and iguanas in the gardens, but none came close to us. None came in our room either.

Thumbs up overall. We'll definitely go back to this resort for a nice, relaxing vacation. This is our second time in Puerto Rico, so we didn't venture out of the resort. We basically sat at the beach/pool and ate all day - the laziest vacation we've ever taken!

Stayed January 2007
18 Thank miav
Atlanta Ga.
Reviewed January 15, 2007

I was very hesitant after reading all of the bad reviews and really enjoyed our week. The best food of all of the all-inclusive resorts we have been to and we belong to one in Mexico that is very good. Check in was a breeze, make reservations early at the beginning of your stay and you will have no problem. Nov. 22 starts the busy season, which is when we left to go to the Island of Vieques, and it was getting busy the day before we left (1000 people checked in for two conventions). We were happy that the first part of the week was not so busy. It was nice that it was out of the hustle and bustle of San Juan, close to the jungle and some good kiosk's for really good traditional food for a day trip out, but enjoy the pool, beach, sailing, at the resort. Very relaxing, not too much to do other than eat and relax, but the restaurants are very good and so is the wine selection and all premium liquors. Romantico is the best, and the Italian was next best. Loved it all but the Japanese restaurant was not our favorite.
Would recommend this resort to any of my foodie friends!

• Liked — the food and wine and the pool
  • Disliked — not enough day activities off the property
  • Stayed November 2006
Caribe Hilton San Juan
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#20 of 47 in San Juan
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort

Been to Melia Coco Beach? Share your experiences!