“Gorgeous Hotel, Service Needs Improvement”
Review of Melia Coco Beach

Melia Coco Beach
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Reviewed March 23, 2005

Though the resort itself is beautiful, we found that it really never exceeded our expectations. The lobby area, pool, furnishings, spa, etc. are gorgeous. The rooms are a decent size. The food is nothing special, which is to be expected in an all-inclusive I guess. For the money, we would recommend staying at The Ritz and be assured of exceptional service. With few exceptoins, we found most staff to be apathetic. Three out of the five days we were there, our room had not been cleaned by the time we returned from the pool around 4pm. This was at a time when the resort was more than half empty so I wouldn't want to be there when it is at capacity.

I also heard that they allow people to day-trip at the hotel pool, which I think is unacceptable when guests are paying to stay there. It just created more crowding.

Overall we had a great time, but we would likely not return to Paradisus, which is unfortunate because it has much more ambience than other resorts I have been to in Puerto Rico. A management overhaul would likely bring the service up to par with the surroundings.

14  Thank KLM1970
Write a ReviewReviews (6,544)

new york, new york
Reviewed March 22, 2005

just returned 3/20/05 from hotel and their are several area to be concerned with:First-Transportation,when you cal there they either give you the conciege or transportation to arrange travel from the airport.These are two different services within the hotel ,so be aware when you call to confirm and they say there is no reservation.Also the hotel does not tell you that a cab (all vans) from the airport is less expensive and not a per person charge as is the hotel.
Reservations for eating were impossible.They have 3 restaurants that require reservations and they do not let you make them on the phone.The restaurants are small and it's hard to get a reservation at a reasonable time.They do not open reservations for Fri or Sat until certain times.
The hotel books cocktail parties for outside companies as well as dinners on FRi and Sat evening but they set these up around the pool starting at 3:00 pm so you better beware of your location.

The mgt there is totally non responsive including head of food service Alfredo and hotel mgr Claus Lapp.Neither person answers calls nor do they return calls.
The food is passable and the staff is wonderful.The hotel ground are gorgeous but the beaches are rocky (but we knew that before we went).The rooms are spacious and the pool area magnificent.The radio broadcast from the pool area could have been a little less noisy,but we simply moved away from that spot to a less crowded area (in which they starting setting up those cocktail parties at 3:00).
It was an aggravating experience(there were other incidents as weel) at my first and probably last all inclusive resort.
P.S. Took two rooms with 4 nite total of $4,700

• Stayed: January 2005
20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 20, 2005

My husband and I had the misfortune to stay at the Paradisus in connection with a business trip. We have never been so happy to check out of a hotel.

A few "highlights"

The resort is a easy 1 hour from the airport (in the middle of nowhere) even though they tell you twenty minutes.

THe rooms are a long way from the central areas of the hotel. Be prepared to take a golf cart or take a very unscenic 10 minute walk to the pool.

THE BEDS ARE ROCK HARD. I MEAN THE WORST BED EVER. THE FRONT DESK DOES HAVE EGGCRATES YOU CAN PUT ON TOP OF THE MATTRESS BUT THEY WERE ALL CHECKED OUT.

The linen is terrible.

The rooms are musty. 4 couples in our group were moved from their rooms (by management) because of mold over taking the bathrooms.

The food is terrible - poor selection and quality.

The outdoor bar area is filthy.

There is no nightlife except for a small casino.
Most of the employees do not seem happy to be there.

The beach - well it looks nice in the brochure but too bad it is made of gravel.

I AM STUMPED AS TO HOW THIS PLACE GETS POSITIVE REVIEWS. WE WERE WITH A GROUP OF 300 PLUS INDIVIDUALS AND EVERYONE AGREED THAT THIS PLACE WILL BE LUCKY TO SURVIVE ANOTHER YEAR. I WOULD NEVER EVER RETURN TO THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed: March 2005, traveled on business
12  Thank Boeckmann
Marietta, Ga
Reviewed March 16, 2005

Stayed at the Paradisus in Puerto Rico again this year (Mar. 3-7). We returned with our business group. Last year they had only been opened 3 weeks when we arrived. This year there was a vast improvement! Staff was still friendly and eager to help you. (at their pace of course) Food was good. We were able to get reservations at Romantico. Which I had read on this site was a problem in the past. After our group dinner the, 1st night, could not get into room, at midnight. Flagged down a golf cart and was told in a few minutes security would arrive. My husband and I expected to be there until two or three. But, to our surprise security was there in about 7 minutes. A word of advice. Do not put your key in the same pocket as your MAGNETIC name badge. Later found out about 5 or so couples had the same problem. We did have some issues: sand on the floor of our room the day we arrived. They lost the lugage of one couple. Located it an hour or so before our group dinner( inverted numbers on tag.) Handle fell into the tub while showering. We left it in plain view and it was fixed when we returned. (several hours later) We found out quickly why the Mirador was alway empty. It is the restuarant of the Birds. They could remedy this I was told by installing fishing line so the view was not obstructed and would keep the birds out. As I walked away from the salad bar a bird helped himself to the cheese I had just used. Our bed was turned down every night. Our last night there was no different except at 1:30 when we returned we had one wash cloth and not one towel. Called the operator and within 15 minitues we had our towels. We really did enjoy our stay and the issues I mentioned are minor compared to last year. I do hope they keep improving. I would return.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed March 14, 2005

We just returned from a 5 night stay in the oceanfront Villa's. We travel a great deal and some were all-inclusive. The Paradisus Puerto Rico is now at the top of our list of fabulous places to stay. Excellent restaurants and food, service, attention to detail, 2 personal butlers on call 24/7, excellent rooms and the list goes on. This is a new resort (a bit less than a year old) so there were a couple of kinks here and there, but nothing that would detract from a marvelous vacation! Book your restaurant reservations UPON ARRIVAL. Particularly good was the "Romantico". A few of the others are buffet but quite good. Our only bad experience was the Italian restuarant (buffet). Bad service, the food was well....ok but not what we had come to expect based on the other fine dining experiences we had previously. Our biggest problem was having to explore and figure the place out pretty much on our own. We received some very helpful information when we arrived, but if you are not part of a "group", you will not receive the "guided tour". The beach is not worthy of being called a beach due to the very rocky conditions. This is, by the way, a condition that cannot be helped by the Paradisus. The government owns the beach and nothing can be done to make for better footing, etc. The pools are excellent and we had a great time anyhow. Overall, we were extremely pleased. The attitude of EVERYBODY was ALWAYS.."what can I do to make your stay with us even better?" except for the waiter at the Italian restaurant of course. We rate The Paradisus a true 4.75 star facility.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 11, 2005

We just got back from this great place last night and we are all really missing it. My daughter woke up this morning and wanted to go back! We found this hotel purely by coincidence, we were originally scheduled to vaction in the Bahamas on a remote island, but Bahamas Air cancelled our connecting flight a week before we were to leave. My wife and I scrambled to find another destination and found the Paradisus. They had availability for the exact dates and we booked it. We lucked out and loved our trip.

Everyone who worked there, and I mean everyone, was extremely helpful and went out of there way to make sure everything was taken care of. As an example, I forgot my cell phone charger and asked the front desk clerk were the nearest Verizon store was and the front desk manager over heard this and offered up his Verizon charger. I borrowed it a few times and he always said no problem. This is just one example and I won't bore you with others, but everyone went out of there way.

The food was very good for an all inclusive, but not like in a small gourmte restaurant. We were not expecting 5 star restaurants so we were very pleased, if you are expecting a 5 star restaurant go to one don't go to an all inclusive resort.

The pool, grounds, rooms and everthing else is very very nice. The only negative is the beach. It is small and the water is not so great, but pretty to look out to. My wife and I take a vacation every year to the carribean and have been to many great beaches and new this was not going to be a great beach based on the reviews here and thus were not disappointed. We have small children who love the pools so that is where we were going to be anyway. All I can say is if you are a beach person you might want to try another hotel.

Also, we noticed that the hotel never seems crowded even though they were at capacity.

Price- My wife and I thought this hotel is an absolute steal for what you get!! We were actually wondering how they can employ so many people (always somone around to take care of every need) and deliver such great service for such a low price.

One last note, we agree with other reviews about tipping. We tipped a great waiter we had for dinner many nights and our service was second to none. We did not ask what he made, but for a couple of $20s he went way out of his way and we had better service than in many upscale restaurants here in Chicago. We also tipped the bartenders by the pool and never had to wait for a drink.

Stay here, it is an undiscovered gem!

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, Ma.
Reviewed March 8, 2005

Well, The place is beautiful. The beach is barely so so..no real swimming as it is shallow and murky. The help is excellent and is not paid well so tip them as much as you can. A wonderful waiter there said he was only paid $ 5.50 an hour. Frankly I am not a fan of loud music and it was hard to escape the noise coming from the pool area..it made me nuts. The shows they had were first class from stage presentations to belly dancing. The food is excellent but their system of reservations for the restaurants is completely out of whack. They would say they had no room when they were half empty and people were rightly miffed at the way they handled it. They should have no reservations at all and it would work a lot better. There is a Mexican style restaurant there...skip it..not worth it. The public space, bars etc. is very classy with marble floors, fountains and comfortable and spacious. It is not a barefoot and torn jeans or wet bathingsuit type of atmosphere at all...more like a swank hotel. The aesthetics of the whole place are excellent and the people very nice and that is why I am giving it a four star. Be prepared to gain five pounds!

• Stayed: February 2005
The Fajardo Inn
#3 of 4 in Fajardo
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort

Been to Melia Coco Beach? Share your experiences!