“Awful resturants”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
rincon
“Awful resturants”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2009

The hotel is pretty good, beautiful grounds, rooms really nice. But the
restaurants are awful, not to mention very rude service. We tried dining
at the PASSION restuarant on our first night. We were seated, waited
15 mins, no waiter, asked for one, still nothing so we left.
The last night, at 8:45PM it was open for business, but when we went in, it
looked empty. However the girl at the front said, "sorry we can't seat you
we have three tables up front with 9,6 and 4 people so we can't feed anyone
else!! Then why didn't they close the doors? Outrageous. The Sol Melia
restaurant was the same story, very rude service, awful food, and indeferent
attitude towards the guests. I think that because we are a "captured" audience, they feel they can treat guests like that. What a shame.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelhappy029

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,386)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

Just returned from 5 days/4 nights at the Gran Melia. I am the spouse of the business person, so while he was in a meeting, the most work I did was get out of bed and walk to the pool!

I, too, was concerned after reading some of these reviews. I don't think these people stayed at the same place! The resort is wonderful. It's very large, but walkable, and golf carts are around to drive you from the main building to your room. I felt safe the entire time -- even when I walked alone, at night, along the beach.

Here are a few tips that I hope will help you:

Tip 1: Upgrade to the Royal Service; ours was included in our corporate event. There is a separate check-in behind glass doors. This room also has computers for RS guests. The RS pool is a good size and adults only. There is a bar and room service is available. The cabana beds (I don't know the correct term) are free for RS guests at the RS pool ($50 per day at the large pool).

Tip 2: In the RS package (can't say about the standard), you are given one pool towel card per person. This card has a $30 value. If you go to the large pool, you have to give the attendant your card in order to get a towel. Once you return the towel you get your card back. This automatically kicks in the $30 charge on your bill, so be sure to return the cards to the front desk at check-out to be credited the $30 per card.

Tip 3: Avoid room service; it's expensive (but what room service isn't?). The RS pool orders from room service, so keep in mind that the pricing is the same. "Wet" - the restaurant/swim-up bar at the large pool has a limited menu, but the food is good and reasonable.

Tip 4: If you need anything, call Angel. He is what customer service is all about. Always there and always working.

Tip 5: Do not keep your room key near your cell phone. This does erase the magnetic strip. I had to replace mine three times before I found out about the cell phone.

Tip 6: Avis is the rental car company, so if you think you'll want a car, rent it before you arrive. You can do it there, but you may get a better rate booking from home.

Tip 7: This resort is "out there." It's about 30 minutes or so from the SJU airport. The ride is not bad, but traffic can be hellacious. The driving is pretty bad -- no directional use, lots of weaving, etc. Be careful if you drive.

Tip 8: Be sure to go for a night swim in the large pool. It's huge and gorgeous. There are 5 jacuzzis in the large pool (not hot tubs).

Tip 9: Don't touch anything in your room's mini-bar without checking the prices! If the item is removed for more than 30 seconds (could be 15), you're automatically charged. $3 for a candy bar is a lot to pay to look at the calorie content.

Tip 10: Bring a book if you plan on reading, because the gift shop doesn't have a wide selection. I think it only had 3 books.

You'll read reviews on here about the construction -- new construction is at the entrance to the resort and is not near the guest quarters. It's not a white, sandy beach, but you can walk in the water.

Hope this review helps! I'd return to this location in a heartbeat. It's really a beautiful place.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
9 Thank Wanderlust1099
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2009

Our family recently stayed at Gran Melia, PR and must say that the grounds are beautiful. The pool and the rooms are great too. The service, however, leaves a bit to be desired. The staff, on a whole, is very nice and tries to be accommodating and is very pleasant. The problem, we think, lies with management. We got to the hotel at about 1:30pm and asked for an early check-in if possible. We were told that the room was ready and need to be inspected, so there shouldn’t be a problem. At 3:30pm we were finally told that we could go to our rooms. We had some small situations, which needed attention; the only problem was getting someone to answer the phone. We had to try many times before someone would answer. Once they did everything got straightened out and the staff was very pleasant. I needed something, so I went to the front desk, at 10:30am, and no one was there. There were a few people waiting to check-in and we all waited a good 10 minutes before anyone came to the desk. I find that very strange for a resort with such a good rating. What we also found strange was the restaurants. There were only three and the Japanese and Italian were closed on alternate days, which left only two. There was no place to get a little snack or a quick bite for the children, except for the swim up bar which closed a 6pm. We all had a nice time and got a lot of exercise walking since our building was pretty far from the pool and restaurants. That is not a complaint. You can ride in a golf cart if you choose to. When we got home and after we paid our bills, we found an additional charge on our credit card. It was from 4 days before we checked out and a evening we were not on the premises. Maybe someone gave our room number by mistake, who knows, anything is possible. I called the resort after I called my credit card company and was told that they would put a credit on my card , after four days I was told that a credit was going to be put thru but it never showed up until my bank gave me an ok on my dispute. You also have to watch your charges at the resort since they do not give you a receipt for anything unless you ask.

Mike and family

2 Thank mdsoll
virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2009

First I should preface this by stating that we won an ebay auction and the voucher allowed us 4nights/5days (April 13-18) with all taxes and fees paid and we paid $120 total for the auction/stay. We didn't have to do the timeshare thing so I can't speak as to what that's like. We checked in with no lines around 8pm and didn't have to wait more than 3min tops. The place is breathtaking with an open lobby and scented candles and tons of beautiful light fixtures. The check in host was very nice and informed us that they did not have anymore ocean view rooms however, they were going to give us Royal service which included continental breakfast, and free unlimited alcoholic/non alcoholic drinks in the evening. Totally worth it!
Room: Our room was beautiful, and super clean with a king bed, and a sitting area with a couch, coffee table, two chairs and a cafe table. We also had a private balcony. We never had bugs or anything like that. The bathroom was really spacious and everything was REALLY nice and clean for our stay all 5 days. I'm very picky so I was very happy.
Food: We were very pleased with the continental breakfast and the hostess seated us quickly all 5 mornings (we had 2 preschoolers with us) and we never, ever had poor service. They were always refilling our glasses and talking with our children. The continental breakfast consisted of an abundance (in my opinion) of different fruits, cheeses, sliced deli meats, bagels, three types of breads, danishes, pastries, smoked salmon, capers, onions, etc. We got this free due to our free upgrade. We never tried any restaurants except for the pool side bar which was good and reasonable. You can actually eat here instead of the restaurants to save $
if you don't plan to rent a car (which is a must if you plan to go anywhere).
Pool: HUGE and clean with a big area for the kids however there is nothing in the kids pool so bring some toys. The chairs were plentiful and even on the weekend when things were much more crowded, we still had no problems. Swim up bar was always fun for the kids and they were treated great.
Service: We had no issues but it is a big area-be patient. You're not the only one asking for stuff. Carts were electronic or something for the most part and we only encountered two noisy ones. The other ones were really quiet and never once bothered us.
Parking/rentals: There is an Avis place there to rent cars and the parking situation is a joke. We never validated anything. Why they don't just give people a pass to put on their car and call it a day is beyond me. They never charged me either. Unless you state it they don't know you have a car-there's no registration for it anyway. All hotels on the island charge for parking as we found out with the Embassy Suites hotel which makes you register your car.
Overall impressions: We thought it was great because it was really slow paced and quiet. Getting drinks at night was so nice. We took our preschoolers and they made them nonalcoholic frozen drinks and the kids enjoyed the breeze and all the lights and fountains, etc and we lounged around in the GORGEOUS lobby and drank our drinks (approx $75 per night free due to Royal Service upgrade). It was so relaxing and the lobby area is HUGE with so many intimate places to sit and lounge. This is NOT a party bar-it's small but beautiful and there are lots of families which was so great for us. Everything is tiled in a marble type of tile so be careful and watch the kids-it's really slippery when wet. If we had to pay for everything we got we would never have gone. We are airline employees so we flew for free and have family there but if you plan to go you MUST rent a car there because it's secluded. The Marriott is building the first 5star hotel next door with 11 restaurants and the connecting Trump golf course and condos (starting at 1.2 million) are also there and that drive down is beautiful with fountains and such once you turn off of 3. There is a bakery at the corner where you turn off 3 so lots of people go there to get stuff. There's a grocery store and places to shop and eat and an outlet mall, fast food restaurants, etc but you have to drive to them and if you're not comfortable with that then the restaurants are expensive onsite but they are beautiful. You can get all inclusive packages here still at $150 w/ alcohol and $120 without. When calling reservations ask for Norma-she's really nice and if you are nice, she's even nicer. She even moved our stay there when we got stuck at the airport. Everyone spoke really good English and we never had a problem. If you can get the royal service I would do it just so you get the breakfast and the drinks covered and a nicer room which will cost more than the royal service upgrade. If you bargain, you may get a deal I was told. The beach was so relaxing but we are not swimmer types. We just lay in the chairs and there were tons of gorgeous palms for shade, tons of area to read and lay around with plentiful chairs and it was crystal clear water but it is not a sandy beach, but it's not a grassy beach either. There's flat sandy land and then a row of big rocks and corals and stuff but it's clean and my daughter loved it. No venders there to bother you-you can take a nap in the shady palms without a problem. There was a safe in our room which was plenty big and housed our cameras, video camera, jewelery etc with plenty more space and it was FREE. We can't understand the bad reviews because we just experienced such a wonderful week and we were soooo relaxed and loved the quietness of this resort and consider ourselves really picky. We stayed at the embassy suites for the last three days in San Juan to be close to family and do the tours and stuff and it was okay but not like the Melia and we were sorry we couldn't have stayed there longer. If you would like more information on our stay and maybe some extra tips email me at altaufamily@adelphia.net.

4 Thank illusara96
levittown,p.a.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2009

i don't know why the reviews on some are bad the place is great you need to rent a car i went with my wife we rented a car we traveled and ate outside the resort . breakfast was $9.25 total for me and her and it was at the first trafic light outside the resort lunch and dinner we ate out side the resort there are plenty of places to eat make a left or right at the light and its a main road with plenty of places if you make a right there is a large outlet which my wife loved im not to crazy about outlets and again plenty of places to eat , we traveled all over san juan etc and just went back to the resort . we had a great time and everyone was friendly so if you travel and all you do is stay at a resort for the week and not travel around then its a waste because you are not enjoying yourself

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
ny
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2009

Almost 3 hours to get a room
Too expensive
Had to call front desk 2x for towels/soap/toilet paper
floors were never swept/ Restaurants too expensive(resort food) the whole place is BORING-BORING-BORING
Parking 15-25$ aday( just tell them u r parking in the avis lot) no charge
5$ a beer local Medalla Lite which cost approx 48cents to make(buy ur own w/ice on Rt.#3 there are a few supermarkets) Pack it in a dark colored cooler bag and take it to the pool or beach. I was born on this Island was very dissappointed with this location the way I was treated, The employees don't give a [--] about anything, Next time I visit my place of birth I will stay with family or do 1 or 2 stays at paradors... My advice to travelers take ur hard earned money invest in a all-inclusive 4or 5 star location in the Dominican Republic/Mexico.. believe me u won't be sorry.. Any ? email me at CMWELO@aol.com

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cmwelo
NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2009

We had three room at Gran Melia Resort. The only thing that was nice is the view and landscaping. Rooms were dirty and no properly clean. Since it is far from the real world or any stores, they overcharge for everything - example can of soda $4.50!!! there are no water fountains, so every time you will want to drink - you will have to pay $4.50. Pool is very nice - but only the main pool you can use - all other are for private use!!! Beach is horrible - you cant swim it is full of corals and stones and weeds.

MAIN CONCERN WAS WHEN WE WENT TO ASIAN RESTAURANT THERE - HIBACHI - AND THE CHIEF FIRED UP THE STOVE - THE ROACHES STARTED COMING OUT... IT WAS DISQUISTING AND UNBELIEVABLE!!! We were so shocked and should've realized earlier not to pay for food that was almost not touched. We went to the manager twice and she told us she will reimburse us for it. The next day, the director of food and beverages said that things like that happened, they have spray once a week and we will not be getting our money back. Then we spoke to hotel manager - he said its not a big deal either and gave us 30% discount - REDICOULOUS!!!!!!!!!

WHO NEEDS THIS EXPENSIVE HOTEL - THERE ARE SO MANY BEAUTIFUL PLACES OUT THERE... SO SORRY THAT WE WENT THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Thank innash
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,627 reviews
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!