“Back at Gran Melia”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
Miami Springs, Florida
“Back at Gran Melia”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

The place continues to be beautiful, the Market next to the lobby was great for a quick bite and the best part opens early and closes late (on the weekend that is) Why not give it a 5 star?
1) cart took for ever at check out after 2 calls and 3 of those same carts passing by 2 of them with staff only. Mind you I normally do not use it but we had a lot of luggage we did end up having to walk.
2) room service too took for ever after telling us it would only be 45 minutes; had to call them back after 1 1/2 hr.
3) The floors by the rooms did not look very clean. Yes, I know it is an ocean front property but, after seeing the same bug for 3 days kind of makes you wonder...

bottom line the place is great

Would I stay again? OF Course

Room Tip: if you get tired of the food there or want some local breakfast (I say breakfast because that is all...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank giyo19
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear giyo19,

Thank you for taking time to reach out with your comment. Feedback is how we improve so I genuinely appreciate your honesty with regards to areas which are in need of improvement.

Receive our sincere apology for the difficulties in room service and the the golf carts pick-up. We are glad to hear that these situations did not prevent you from having a good experience.

I hope to welcome you again to your private "Paradise" away from home.

GMPRGuesExperience@granmeliapr.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,420)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 5, 2014

We had a nice few days at the Gran Melia. The resort feels removed from society, which was a common complaint from other reviewers, but we found it relaxing. With an ocean view from our room's balcony, we watched the sunset every night. The property is magical -- the pools, the creative decor, the frequent hammocks, and on weekends, live music. We took an afternoon trip to El Yunque rainforest, which I recommend if you like hiking. But I don't think it's worth the extra mile to go into San Juan or Old San Juan from here.

Shout out to Daniele, our helpful butler from our hometown of Brooklyn! Among many recs, he suggested a cheaper rental car (Cabrera). As members of the Club Melia Vacation Club, we enjoyed certain perks -- bigger suite, access to the smaller, but quieter pool (where the chairs are much more comfortable, and the Bali beds were free) and round-the-clock free drinks and coffee in the VIP lounge. This came included with our timeshare; not sure if we would have upgraded to the Red Level otherwise. For instance, the VIP breakfast was only offered one of the days, and it was a pretty average 'continental' breakfast.

Quick tips - there are two convenience stores on the property, with reasonable prices. We brought our own booze from home, but could have easily bought supplies there. They also have good coffee, ice cream, and snacks. The restaurants were "resort prices" (duh!), but we had 2 decent dinners. At Passion, the traditional PR food place, the portions were generous and some of the dishes were actually pretty creative. The Italian food/steakhouse also exceeded our expectations. The beachside lunch place was also pretty tasty and not overpriced.

It felt like we had the place to ourselves, since we were there on the first "off season" week, after Easter. That said, I'm glad we didn't stay a full week here. As pleasantly surprised as we were by the beauty of the Gran Melia, I prefer a "real beach" with soft sand that you can take long walks on... it's cliche, but true! If you're new to Puerto Rico, I'd recommend La Isla Verde or a small beach town on the west coast like Rincon, Crash Boat, or Isabella.

Dear Flameatomic,

We are glad that you decide to post a comment about your recent stay; certainly as you mention this is a “magical” place.

Our staff is truly what makes Gran Meliá Golf Resort Puerto Rico a warm welcoming place to stay and I am so pleased to hear of your experience with Daniel.

Hope your journey will bring you back to the hotel in the near future. On behalf of our hotel staff, it was our pleasure to host you.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

We have been to Puerto Rico a few times but this was our first time at Gran Melia. The grounds were beautiful. We stayed in the timeshare section of the hotel. The outside doors we a bit weather beaten. The rooms were a bit small but very clean. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We were especially happy with Godfrey. He approached us offering his help with planning excursions. He got us last minute reservations for a snorkeling tour. He followed up with us after our trip to make sure we had a good time. He was very friendly and helpful. All and all we had a great, relaxing trip at the Gran Melia.

1 Thank Claudia V
Dear Claudia V,

Thank you for your review! I agree, Godfrey is a wonderful asset to our team and we are proud to have him. I'm thrilled that he made your experience one to remember! However, I am disappointed to learn about the door in your room, we have taken notes to correct that immediately.

Come and see us again soon, we are going to be very happy to have you back!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 2, 2014

So happy about choosing Gran Melia in Puerto Rico! I have to admit; I was quite hesitant to select Gran Melia after reading mixed reviews. My decision to vacation at the last minute prompted me to stay here regardless, since the travel package offered a great deal on two days prior notice to travel.

Here's why Gran Melia is getting a glowing recommendation from me: The staff was extremely accommodating during our stay. Every call, every request were all met and done so timely. (And, I had quite a few requests! I'm very particular.) Staff we encountered were always pleasant, friendly, and even informative (offering local advice and suggestions)... which TOTALLY contradicted what I had previously read and had been forewarned by others familiar with Puerto Rico in general. To top things off, an executive by the name of "Shaira" really went the extra mile to make a momentous occasion very special for me and my significant other, and on such short notice. I'm still impressed!

To duplicate my experience, here's what I think you should know and what I recommend: The overall resort stretches quite a distance. Therefore, some of the rooms are farther away from the main grounds, but are along beautifully manicured paths or the beach. We stayed in a Red Level Ocean Front Villa in Building 17. That location happens to be very close to the main grounds. It was the closet building, in fact, of the ocean front villas. (Although, note: plenty of courtesy drivers were available and still frequently offered us rides in passing, as done for farther away guests). Since I did not see any other rooms, I can only recommend an ocean front villa, assuming they are all created equally or better than.

Go to/frequent the Red Level Lounge. Get to know your Butler, and do mingle with the staff. The staff responded well to our genuine interest in the destination and appreciation of the beautiful grounds.

The breakfast buffet included with our Red Level experience was delicious and of a wide variety; however do note that it was generally the same selection daily. Besides breakfast, we only had opportunities to eat at two of their other on-site restaurants, including "Tempo" (Italian) and the outdoor restaurant at the main pool. Both served up yummy meals! Since these are on-site restaurants, I expected prices to be higher (and they were - as with most hotels) than purchasing food off site; this resort was no different in this regard.

My only "con" from our time at Gran Melia was that I did not like having to wear a bracelet on my wrist (however nice looking it may have been) during the entire stay to distinguish that we were Red Level guests. What can I say, I'm a diva! The red bracelet did not always coordinate well with my outfits. I couldn't wait to take it off. Just keeping it honest... and a bit vain! :-)

Room Tip: As far as selecting a good room: The overall resort stretches quite a distance. Therefore, some of t...
1 Thank GirlSureLuvs2Travel
Dear GirlSureLuvs2Travel,

Thank you for taking the time to provide our team with this great feedback. The pictures you’ve shared with the Trip Advisor community let us know that you loved your stay. We are very pleased that you select our hotel for your last minute vacations.

Shaira and the rest of the team are going to be very happy to read your comments. We are very excited because we not only met your expectations but we exceed.

Please do not hesitate to make a reservation in the future; it would be our pleasure to have you as a guest again.

Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Recent stay at the Gran Melia was excellent. Much to say positively, cordial and helpful staff, beautiful atmosphere etc.etc., etc. Highly recommend and hope to come again. And, don't miss Red Level. Angela

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear angela p,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review! I agree with you, Gran Meliá Golf Resort have a lot of positive things. One of kind Red Level amenities, our gorgeous ocean view, fabulous restaurants and the great service from our staff keep great customers like you coming back.

We look forward to your next vacation in Puerto Rico!

Rio Grande
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Beautiful resort for relaxation only. Blindside you at check in with a $300 hold on your credit card. Make sure you like to walk, shuttles aren't always available. Bring bug spray for evening beack time.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

1 Thank Paula Mayo J
Dear Paula Mayo J,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay here at the Gran Meliá Puerto Rico.

I would like to clarify that the hold in your credit card is a common practice in the hotel industry, if you do not incur in additional charges, the hold is released as soon as you check-out (depending on your bank policies).

Once again, thank you for thank you for taking the time to post your review and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Denver
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Lovely resort, I would not listen to the reviews regarding service and rooms in particular. The resort is very well kept, clean, pool is wonderful and you can swim 24hrs. The beach is nice as well, I found it to be fine for a Caribbean beach as I am used to not having a lot of waves. We did travel to another property that was in the area that had a Casino to see there beach, which was lovely. However, the property did not compare to the grounds of the Melia. The Wet Bar and Grill was very cool and had some of the best food I have had in a long time in the Asian (can not remember name) and the Puerto Rican restaurant they have on site. Yes, it was not cheap, but it was worth it!!! Don't believe everything you read as far as negative reviews...I have traveled the world and been to many, many resorts and the Melia was Up There on my favs list and I would return.

Room Tip: We were given a room in bungalow 16 which was close and convenient to everything. Did not take the...
1 Thank tellepop
Dear tellepop,

Thank you for choosing our hotel, and taking the time to give us feedback. We are happy to hear you had an enjoyable stay and liked your food in Nami (the Asian restaurant), The Wet Grill and Pasión by Chef Myrta (puertorrican cuisine).

All our staff works really hard every day to ensure that the guests have a wonderful experience like yours.

Hope you will visit “Paradise” again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rio Grande
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,705 reviews
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!