“Havent even stayed yet and I'm already unhappy!!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico

Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
“Havent even stayed yet and I'm already unhappy!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

So I wasn't made aware of the credit card hold until recently (from the reviews on here, thank God for trip advisor). So I called the hotel just to confirm what I was reading and to make sure we are prepared for our stay (we check in on Wednesday 04/02/2014). I called them FIVE times, no answer. I finally spoke with someone in reservations who advised that we would have to secure 100$ per night which would be a total of 400$. I asked the reservations department if a debit card would suffice or cash. NO. Really? You don't accept US currency? Ok then. I then asked what if we only have debit or cash? I only use my credit cards for emergencies so I like to keep my options open and I NEVER had a problem with a hotel taking my debit card in the past. I was advised that is hotel policy and if I didn't have a valid credit card, I may not be able to check in. The hotel staff member who answered the phone was BEYOND rude. Ummm, but I have already pre-paid so I will just pay for another hotel!!! I tried to call Priceline to see if I could change hotels. Well as you may know Priceline is useless and the customer service is less than stellar. I am already off to a horrible start with this hotel and not looking forward to my trip which is awful considering its supposed to be a vacation.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Lizzey83
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Dear Lizzie 83:

Thank you for your comments and concern regarding your future stay in our resort.

I would like for you to personally take the opportunity and experience for yourself what Gran Melia Golf Resort is all about in order for you to enjoy your very well deserved vacation.

I hope you were able to enjoy all of our wonderful amenities and lived the entire Gran Melia experience our guests deserve.

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,356)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

We read all the reviews and honestly, we were a little concerned about the bi-polar nature...some loved the resort, while others were very negative. We arrived yesterday afternoon for a week long trip. First, the disclaimer. We booked our trip through RCI and therefore we are staying on the time share "club" side of the resort.

Our check-in went very smoothy, once we realized they had a separate check in for the club. Our room was very close to the clubhouse so we were able to walk over to our room. The bell hop (Daniel?) was exceptionally helpful and offered us lots of local knowledge. The room is nice, narrow, but in good shape. The living area is on one side, completely with a jet tub and separate shower (with a waterfull spray head...very cool). The two full size beds are a little to small for two adults to sleep comfortably. Would have preferred at least one to be a queen. The villa over looks a club pool which is smaller, and a lot quieter than the main pool. The setting on the ocean is georgous...the grounds are huge. The actual beach is disapointing, not a large soft sandy beach, but very small spots where you can actually swim. We stayed on premises the first night and completely enjoyed our meal at Pasion...very delicious. Today we ate lunch near the main pool and continue to be pleased with the food.

We rented a car at the airport, thankfully the GPS on my phone got us here because the road are a little challenging to follow if you don't speak spanish.

The staff have been very friendly and the service has been spot on. If anything changes over the next few days, I will add the the review, but for now, we are just enjoying are lazy days.

1 Thank Ken B
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Ken B:

Thank you for choosing Gran Melia Golf Resort for your vacation destination and for taking from your time to provide us your valued feedback.

In a world in which comment cards, internet blogs and guest feedback opportunities are abundant, I am deeply honored that you gave yourself the opportunity of experiencing on your own our resort. Believe me when I tell you we take them to heart, and use feedback from our guests’ to constantly evolve and improve our product and services, not only to meet our guests’ needs, but to exceed them in every aspect.

I understand why you felt hesitant after reading all those negatives reviews, but let me assure you that those negative reviews does not represent a clear picture of the services and amenities we provide to nearly 15,000 guests a month. Each guestroom endures deep cleaning and preventive maintenance in order to ensure only the best quality for our guests.

I thank you for your kind comments and wish you have enjoyed the rest of your vacation. We hope to welcome you once more in a near future.

Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

I was really worried after seeing all the bad reviews and after paying on priceline. All for no reason. The resort was beautiful, rooms were lovely , grounds were very nice and the staff were so nice. You will love this place !!!!!

Room Tip: Stayed in room 1614 close to the lobby
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Tigerlily2424,

Thank you for taking the time to share your kind note with us and for staying at the Gran Melia.

We greatly appreciate that despite the negative reviews you gave yourself the chance to experience on your own the quality of service our resort renders to our guests.

I am very happy to know that your vacation outcome has been wonderful.

Hope to welcome you again in a near future at Gran Melia Golf Resort.

Cordially,

Managing Director.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

Guan Melia Puerto Rico is a 5 star resort for their facility with very friendly staff especially concierge. But poor staffing shifts for their beverage services affect poolside and restaurant enjoyment.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Naomi S.

Thank you for your recent stay at Gran Melia Golf Resort and for taking the time to share with us your kind notes.

I really appreciate to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, also i would like to apologize for the service received in our pool bars. At the moment we are working on some changes that will better help us improve the service offered to our guests.

I hope to welcome you to our resort in a near future or at any other MELIA properties around the world.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

We spent seven days at the resort and can't wait to return. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms are clean and spacious. Yes, they have a musty smell, but if you cover the drain on the bathroom floor it helps a whole lot. Pool is huge, and clean. You must get there early to secure lounge chairs though, and music is loud, not my idea of relaxing, but I'm sure most people do enjoy this. The only negative is the bed sheets that for some reason come undone at night and you wake up sleeping in the bare mattress. I guess bigger sheets would work better or a heavier mattress to hold she sheets in place. The staff was super friendly and helpful. We were also lucky enough to be there on Saturday when the hotel hires a very knowledgeable gentleman that brings his telescope to view the stars at night, wonderful experience. You will need a car if you stay at this resort and there is also a resort fee. We ate at Tempo and the food and service were great.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank noba21
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Dear Noba 21:

I am pleased we met your expectations and you were delighted with our accommodations, employees, food and entertainment. I appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback of your stay.

Thank you for your kind observations on our Saturday night entertainment "Stargazing" this is a wonderful activity we provide for the enjoyment of our guests, having the opportunity to look at the stars in the clear night skies. At Gran Melia Golf Resort we endeavor to improve everyday our service and the quality of our products. I can guarantee that at every opportunity we come across to delight our guest we give the extra mile.

I encourage you to come again in the near future and revive the relaxing and luxurious experience we can provide.

Cordially,

Carlos DeFreitas
Palm City, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

One sentence can describe the experience at the resort: "The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing". The location of the resort was great! We were looking for R & R which we were able to do. With that said, service at the resort was fair. If you wanted a drink or food at the pool, you needed to get it yourself even though a pool butler was on site, at least if they didn't disappear. Same in the lobby bar area. The Bali beds at the pools are delightful and make sure you reserve them. We were red level which was helpful, but transportation with golf carts at times was difficult to obtain. One time we called and waited 20 minutes before we decided to walk. We had a large room in the time share area which was a bit off the beaten path (which is what we wanted). We had a noisy air conditioner in the master bedroom which remained unfixed the whole time we were there, even after 4 phone calls. The bathrooms had no Q tips, cotton balls or even a soap dish. Towels were not plentiful and several calls were needed to get extras. The food in the restaurants was only fair given the prices charged. The morning buffet was very nice and with red level was included. What was quite annoying is that upon arrival we were provided vouchers for food and beverage which were to be subtracted off the price of the meals or cocktails. We were told that the money would be taken off the final bill. It was not! Almost a bait and switch. The checkout person was clueless and the supervisor stated that it should have been done at the time of purchace. Well, we just did what the folks at the restaurant said would happen. We had a plane to catch and were unable to go thru all the paper receipts since they were not computerized. These incidents took away from the relaxed vacation we came and paid for. Two individuals that worked at the resort were quite helpful and deserve mentioning: Kennie in the red level lounge, and Brenda, an operator I spoke to. For the money, I can not in good conscience recommend this resort. There are many others that would have better suited our vacation.

1 Thank Sezie11
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Sezie11,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us your opinion on the Gran Meliá Golf Resort Puerto Rico.

Kenny, Brenda and the rest of our staff here gladly appreciates your kind words as well as your suggestions. As for the situations confronted while staying with us, I will be sure to report those to the respective department to correct them as soon as possible.

Hope you will join us each time you come to Puerto Rico or any other Meliá Hotel around the world!

GMPRGuestExperience@granmeliapr.com
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014

The resort is very well maintained. The rooms are clean and very quiet. The pool and beach are great for a few days, but then we got bored. Transportation is very expensive to go anywhere. If you stay here, make sure you rent a car. The food and drinks are outrageously expensive. It was $25 for breakfast buffet, $20 for lunch (sandwich and chips) at the pool (that is without any drinks), $70 for dinner (with one drink - $15 for a glass of wine). You can elect $200 per day/per person food and beverage plan, but unless you are going to drink a lot, it is not worth it. We were able to rent a car and go off site for some meals and activities. Book your outings in advance as we were unable to get to see Bio Bay because they were booked solid for the week. We did find Richie's Cafe, they have a free shuttle that comes to the security gate (As Grand Melia will not allow them to pick you up at the front lobby). The view was one of the best and the food was very good. I had the lobster $55 but it was 19-22 ounces. It was delicious.

I would recommend the Gran Melia as a very relaxing spot to sunbathe and read your favorite novel. They have awesome open air places to sit and read all day. It is almost one hour from San Juan, but an easy drive with a co-pilot.

The staff was very helpful and friendly. The plastic wrist bands they require you to wear are a little insulting. I wish they had a better way to identify their guests.

Room Tip: We stayed in bungalow 4, garden view. Easy walking distance to the main lobby and very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sonja50226
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Mrs Sonja50226,
Thank you very much for your valuable comments which have been shared with my staff. Yes, I have to agree with you that your best alternative regarding transportation, is to rent a car.
In reference to our F&B prices and selection, I am in the process of reviewing menus and prices as well. I have to say that after three months of being in Pto Rico, I do find prices expensive everywhere.

Regarding your tour to Bio BAy, unfortunately they have limited capacities, therefore we always advice our guests to check availability before booking or traveling there.
Refering toRichie's Café and not being able to enter our property, it is for obvious reasons we do not allow them to enter.
Yes our Resort has several outstanding areas to relax and enjoy your time with us. San Juan is now 30 to 40 minutes drive taking highway 66. Obviously it depends on traffic. This short trip allows you to stay at a nice Resort and still drive to downtown and be able to drive back with no problem.
I understand that our plastic wrist bands could be improved as a system to clearly identify our guests and find out quickly under which package are you with us.
Once again our sincere gratitude for your preference and we look forward to welcoming you back to our Resort.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rio Grande
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,544 reviews
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!