“People are haters...”
Review of Melia Coco Beach

Melia Coco Beach
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Okay, it's not the Ritz. It's not a Westin. But it is a fantastic property for the price. We were upgraded to a suite, and never treated rudely. And we had no problems when my boyfriend misplaced his card and we needed an additional towel. GORGEOUS well maintained property. Rocky beach, but still gorgeous. It's Puerto Rico people... it's rocky. The food was meh. I would stick to Pasion (Giovanni). I had to send a Tempo meal back, but they were very courteous about it. Oh yeah, and the beds are phenominal.

I will return. Really gorgeous setting and lovely people. AND NATHAN. WE LOVE YOU NATHAN - BEST BARTENDER EVER. Thanks for being so wonderful. Hope to see you soon.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank matildalee
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear matildalee,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. Comments like yours are what motivates our staff to continue striving for excellence. I do apologize for your experience at Tempo and I'm glad the staff managed it accordingly.

We look forward to having you again with us.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed here a week and a half ago, and at first glance all I could say was WOW! During check in I seemed to be getting bit by these tiny little flying bugs :( Anyway, check in was great,even tho we got there a day late (thanks Spirit), and we got to our room and yes it was musty but not that bad, it was beautiful and clean at first glance. When we walked out to the balcony there was a huge iguana poop there (no big deal, thats bound to happen), but then I noticed none of the cement flower boxes had any flowers, every single one had just weeds growing out of them. Looked around our area, and there was old beer bottles and a little garbage, what a shame. The beach areas and the overall appearance is just gorgeous, until you take a real good look, it could be so much more because they spared no expense when they built this place. We sat on the beach chairs in a grassy area and i got attacked by these flying bugs again, and the crazy itchy welts (that don't show up for a day), lasted on my legs for my entire cruise. Now we found the staff to be great, very friendly. We ate at Temp (steak house), and I don't know where the bad reviews for that place came from but we LOVED IT!! My husband said it was the best steak he has ever had, and the desserts were spectacular! Whatever that bun was that they give you, my God was so good, I couldn't believe it. Yes it was expensive with a bottle of wine and dessert 179$ plus a tip, service was outstanding. No I probably wouldn't stay here again just because it is really far out and I didnt see any other dining places that I would care to go to around there. I wish the management would look around the property good and take notes because attention to detail is gonna have to be payed soon, or I would hate to see what happens to this could be gem.

3  Thank shilee3
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear shilee3,

I would like to thank for taking some of your time to write about your experience with us. I'm very pleased to such positive comments from you. It is our # 1 goal to achieve and surpass every guests expectations. I do apologize for the flower beds and your comments will be shared to ensure it is corrected.

again, thank you very much and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I have NEVER felt such a desire to complete a review, until now.
I will say that the resort is beautiful, but from the beginning it was a myriad of mistakes.

Upon arrival, they couldn't find us in the computer. Finally did and they gave us a room with 2 double beds, one of which sunk so far in the middle that you couldn't use it. After we asked, they switched us to another room the next night. This one didn't have AC. Got to another room finally. The shower was like using a squirt bottle and it took an hour to drain. Could never get enough washcloths. Why give one washcloth when there are obviously 2 people in the room? I repeatedly asked but never got them.

The staff, while friendly, was not overly helpful.

The bar is pitiful. One bartender. For the whole place. And was at the pool. Was told we couldn't bring a cooler or alcohol on premises, but how in the world do you expect that when you don't offer enough staff??? So we did anyway. No beach service was available even though we were told there was. But I guess with one bartender, we would STILL be waiting on our first drink. We would have easily spent a huge amount of money on drinks if we'd been able to get them. As it was, we gave our money to the local liquor store down the street.

Went to Tempo Restaurant. The resort's only saving grace. Loved the manager, Phillip, and the waiter Jan C. Ibanez.

And what is up with the Red Level service? Everything was empty, the pool, cabanas, etc. while the rest of us suffered. It really looks awful to have it so empty. It is ridiculous to charge so much for so little. It was an extra $125 per NIGHT. I would highly recommend cancelling Red Level service and using those resources to make the majority of other customers happier.

On our last afternoon we braved the restaurant at the pool with our friends that we travelled with. Poor service staff and meh food. Waited and waited at the end for our check to sign to charge to our room. Never came so I assumed that they didn't need a signature. Easily waited 30 minutes. Later that evening when we were getting ready to go to San Juan, the waiter called our room and told us to come to the pool to sign because his shift was ending. Told him no. He said he would come to our room for the signature. Apparently he wanted a tip. For what??? Told him no and to just put it on our room. Later that evening upon coming home, coincidentally our room keys and our friends' room keys didn't work. I have a feeling an unhappy employee had a friend at the front desk do something to the locks.

You are required to wear a large wristband for security. Why wear them when they don't do anything? Never were checked. I ended up taking mine off after 2 days and nothing was ever said. Every time we entered the gated resort, nobody even looked at us from their iPads. Just waved us in. HOWEVER, on the last day, we weren't allowed to LEAVE the resort. What in the world? They requested some receipt that we were never given. Spent 20 minutes arguing with them about that, put us late to the airport. Absolutely ridiculous. Cannot overemphasize the fact that we will never return to this resort.

4  Thank Rhonda H
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Dear Rhonda H,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I apologize in for your experience at our hotel as it seems we did not meet any of your standards. I will be sharing your comments and suggestions with our management staff in order to make the appropriate changes in whichever areas require such.
Again, thank you for taking the time and we look forward to having you with us again in the not so distant future.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

It is evident the corporation does not empower staff to make customer service based decisions. Staff are fine and nice however on several occasions I was told no "because it's the rule". So your hotel is so concerned with tracking a $20 towel that you expected me to walk all the way back to my room for a card? Hers an idea... Have cheaper towels available to give to your guests who forget their cards. That way the hotel only risks losing $5 on a towel. Also by the ocean you play loud club music?! Really? And it's the rule? The room was fine, staff was fine, the organization that owns this hotel abd sets the tone for customer service and staff subpar at best. I spent as little time at the hotel as possible. Thankfully we had a car. Go to the Ritz Carlton or Disney World organization for customer service trainibg and bring that back to your staff. Reward them for stellar customer service, trust me rave reviews will generate a lot more revenue than charging for list towel cards or lost towels. No i will not be coming back there are too many places in Puerto Rico that understand what true customer service means that I can spend my money at.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
3  Thank kcmaddux

Dear kcmaddux,

Thank you for giving us feedback on your recent stay. I have noted your comments on the towel cards and I apologize if this was a problem for you. Regarding the music in the pool bar, its music selected for the setting, in this case a swim up bar. Again thank you for your comments and we look forward to having you again with us.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

My husband and I were worried about booking a resort in PR for our honeymoon both having not been to the area and not wanting to stay in an outdated, cheap looking room even though we were on a right budget. This resort was GORGEOUS!! The grounds are beautiful! The pool is huge and so pretty! The rooms were clean and really nice (even the standard, lowest priced ones). The whole resort has this exotic Spanish style to it with some Asian, Moroccan, and Mediterranean themes throughout (really nice, not tacky) and all open to the outdoors. It was so peaceful and secluded, but if you rent a car (highly recommended & inexpensive) you are close to the rainforest (which is free), the ferries in Fajardo ($5 round trip to beaches ex. Flamenco beach in Culebra or the luminescent bay at Vieques, etc), San Juan, American restaurant and stores, etc. You drive through beautiful, Trump golf courses to get to the resort and really feel you are in your own paradise..even if you're on a budget. *The beach is pretty, but not great for swimming because of the seaweed BUT the pool is amazing and you are close to other beaches you can take the ferry to or drive to. *The restaurants at the resort are good (the resort owned ones) & very nice, but pricey. You can get great food in Old San Juan (Raices has great authentic food (the pork!!), get Piña Coladas at Barrachina, & pizzas at Pirilo). This resort was a real gem!! PR is this hidden secret...beautiful and affordable!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank emkruz
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Dear emkruz,

I would like to thank you for such an excellent review and sharing your superb experience at our hotel.

It pleases me very much to know you got to experience much more of our great island than the hotel. In our constant effort to improve the quality of services comments like yours are very important.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to seeing you once again.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

First I must say the staff was wonderful my check in with Gasha was a pleasure. Daniel & Timothy in the club area were very helpful and courteous to us. The resort is pretty, but does need a make over especially rooms. My complaints were with the guest staying there not the staff. I actually had sympathy for the staff. My thoughts are MANAGEMENT needs to STEP IN. Things we saw were unacceptable. We travel all over, and I have NEVER seen a display of guest behaving this way. Restaurant and pool area were left so dirty and messy when they were done made you wonder how their homes are. We had to call attention 3xs to them when we went into pool, for them trying to take our towels off our chairs for them to sit. Their children leaving bags of empty chips inside pool. We watched them go into buffet area fill there plates and walk right out without paying. We actually checked out of hotel 2 days earlier and went to another hotel. Management needs to take control, we definitely will not recommend or return. It's to bad could be beautiful place.

2  Thank tori6110
Gran_Melia_PR, General Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Dear tori6110,

I would like to thank you for your recent review.
I do apologize for your experience and I share your concern. We will be discussing your comments and suggestions with our management staff in order to take appropriate measures in the areas that require such.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to having you again with us.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

This is a very hotel, it is a large property with a lot of beautiful foliage and well manicured grounds. There are several nice restaurants, and the food is good. It is well maintained, very clean and the people/staff are incredibly nice and accommodating. This is our second time here with our two young children and we are very pleased. Things to note: There is no hot tub, and you cant really swim at the beach. While it has beautiful ocean breezes and views, it doesnt really have an area to swim.

I highly recommend upgrading your stay to the Red Level. It is well worth the price.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Red Level, its worth it