“I enjoyed my stay @Gran Melia in PR!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico

Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
New Haven, Connecticut
“I enjoyed my stay @Gran Melia in PR!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

It was my Boyfriend and I first time in Puerto Rico, I can honestly say I loved my stay. Like many others, I was a little skeptical about staying there because of the other negative reviews. but I guess you can't please everbody. The Resort/Hotel was just at advertised, Beautiful, Bright, relaxing, nice restaurants, friendly staff. We booked through a 3rd party and didn't know about that Red Level Package so we had a regular Garden-View room, which was great, I loved my view.
Lets see, the room was always cleaned daily, The pool was large enough, my favorite part were the Coqui frogs at night-- "Coqui Coqui" Parking you will pay for, which was a surprise for me despite the warnings from the other guess. I recommend renting a car so you can visit the Luquillo Kiosk where you can mingle with locals.
Also, try some Trips where you can sign-up at the Concierge desk with Vannessa!

Beautiful Hotel/Resort I will visit again, considering having my Wedding @ Gran melia.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tahesha B
Ivan S, Guest Experience Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Tahesha B:

Thank you for this wonderful gift. Reading your observations gives us an indication of those aspects of the Gran Melia Puerto Rico that pleased you. Certainly the grand architectural design of the hotel interplaying with the abundant natural beauty of Puerto Rico helps to set the stage for an experience of a lifetime, to sooth away the ravages of daily stress.

I was also very happy to read that you enjoyed listening our unique and ONLY in Puerto Rico "El Coqui". El Coquí is the common name for several species of small frogs endemic to the island of Puerto Rico, onomatopoeically named for the loud sound males of two species make at night, the common coqui and the mountain coqui. That is the sound of PARADISE!

Our continuous improvement determination is nurtured by your indications of particular areas of concern. Thank you for your candid expressions.

Look forward to greet you in person on the following visit to the Gran Melia Puerto Rico, please contact me before you arrive.

ivans@granmeliapr.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,356)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Lawrenceville, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We got home last night from a wonderful 7 days at the Gran Melia!!!!! I was not so sure because of some of the reviews it had got..... But It was a great time. The pools are super, the grounds are amazing, we were red level and I would do it again in a heart beat!!!! Everyone was very friendly and always was there if needed. If it rained the staff was right there with a mop or squeegee it was never left wet. Our room was always kept up Josue was a great butler!!! And Tony was great also!!!! Passion had amazing food. We were upgraded upon asking. And I have to say usually there are hurricanes during our vacations and this time was hurricane free!!! So glad I went on my own feelings. We did rent a car from Avis if you do and have an app on your phone (coupon) they will take it. I also should say book with Liberty travel for the best deal since this is a mytime resort!!! we got the best rates and room and spa credits along with upgrading credits!!!!

1 Thank blessedangel65
Dear Guest:

We wish we could quote you in our advertising: "we were red level and I would do it again in a heart beat!!!!". We will not do so; however; you chose well by using the Red Level service. We are happy that you noted the expeditious check-in and check-out, special facilities in each suite – meeting and entertainment rooms – pool and spa - ready access to your butler – well stocked daily breakfast buffet – etc.

Thank you for distinguishing some of our associates/Red Level Butlers, they are just as committed to render quality service as many others whose work is noticed, yet they are not seen by our guests. It pleases us to know that you felt treated with all the dignity, care and affection due to esteemed persons.

Part of our culture of quality service is manifested through the offerings of our associates, delving beyond their traditional job description, as you well described Josue and Tony performance in the hotel. On behalf of Josue and Tony and many other associates we thank you for this recognition.

Iván Sotomayor
Lubeck, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

The truth is that the location is spectacular and the facilities are top notch, but they do not have enough staff (or they aren't well trained) to give good care to the whole complex. The general area maintenance is very bad, and cleaning and room service is poor.
Besides that, the food served at breakfast is terrible. I would have expected something better. The "a la carte" restaurants are just near good, very expensive, and have ridiculous working hours (for example, at 100 °F, you can't take lunch in a place with air conditioning).
Bad experience.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the main building. The farther away, the worse the service.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest:

We are very sorry; we apologize for all the inconveniences. We appreciate your time and effort to share with us your experience.

Our management at all levels has taken note of your review for a thorough assessment of your indications. This experience certainly is not reflective of the high quality of services that we offer all our clients daily.

Please contact us before you come to visit us again, we will make it a memorable visit.

Euless, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

This was my husband and I's 1st time in Puerto Rico celebrating our 9yr Anniversary. It was a great hotel with beautiful scenery and atmosphere. Everyone there is very helpful and friendly. The only bad thing is that if you don't have a car your stuck at the resort. It's not a bad place to be stuck at, but its pricey. We rented a car, which was great, but we then had to pay $16.05 a day for parking. That was the only downfall we had. Room service and housekeeping is great. They have golf carts that come pick you up at your door and take to anywhere in the resort.

Room Tip: Upgrade to red level it's well worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ivan S, GEX at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guest:

Receive a warm “Gracias” from Puerto Rico, Island of Enchantment on your first visit.
Thank you for your stay at the Gran Melia and kind review. We are happy that you enjoyed our atmosphere, tropical grounds and our pride "OUR STAFF".

In regards of renting a car: Now our property is even closer to the heart of San Juan, with no traffic lights, a mere 25 minute ride on Route 66. We provide an in-house Avis Rent–A– Car desk, and can arrange other carriers through our Concierge Desk.

Contact us when making your future visit, love to welcome you back. Please contact me for further assistance

“Gracias” and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Ivan Sotomayor
Lindenhurst, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

when going to Gran Melia, to have a good time you must see eli at the avenue bar/club. its a guaranteed good time. but to organize the good times, the butlers are there; one in particular, being my butler, Oscar. He did call he could during my stay to make it good even on his days off. He even organized my vow renewal on the beach, in less than 24 hrs on his days off along with the help of Josue, his assistant. unfortunately i fell during my stay, which limited my activities he was right there and helped me with a doctor and all other things he could. more than a butler, Oscar became a family friend. thank you Grand Melia for your 5 star service!

Room Tip: Go for the red level comes with many amenities and is worth it.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ivan S, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review, providing you a memorable experience through the Red Level accommodations / services in our facilities is the basis for our organization. Thank you for sharing your feelings and comments; likewise we will share these with our butlers – they feel very proud of their work.

Look forward greeting you at your next stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me at ivans@granmeliapr.com
Bridgewater, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

My sister and I stayed at Gran Melia Puerto Rico for 4 nights in August and we enjoyed our time there!

General impression:

As many reviwers said, the grounds are very well maintained and absolutely BEAUTIFUL! We especially like the pool area where we spent a lot of time both in the mornings and in evenings. We arrived on a Thursday, and left the following Monday, the pool area was quite crowded on Saturday and become much less crowded Sunday evening.

The resort ground was indeed quite large but we walked most of the time except when we arrived and left with luggages. It was always VERY pleasent to walk anywhere in the resort!

Services:

We did not take red-level service. The general service we received was satisfactory and meet out expectation. Unlike many reviwers had complained, we checked-in immediately upon arrival - there was no waiting - no line (we arrived the resort ~6:00pm). The gentleman at the front desk greeted us with smile and assigned us a room with two doule beds on the 2nd floor. Our room was in Bungalow 14 which was ~200 meters from the reception building and about the same distance to the main pool area. The chambermaids did a good job getting our room cleaned and refreshed everyday. We also like the free wireless internet in the room.

The resort golf-cart is very efficient and came to pick up us and our luggages upon our call to the front desk in the early morning (2:40am) on the day we left.

We were however not able to get ice from the ice machines on the resort ground - I tried two machines and there were no ice, and I gave it up. I saw other guests also tried to get ice but weren't able to.

Eat/food:

The hotel restaurants are very expensive. For example, we paid ~$40 for 2 (after 20% discount) to have a breakfast at Café Soleil. If you do not have a car, there was a convenient store in the resort where you can buy milk, bread, ham, cheese, fruits, etc. The prices were higher than the outside supermarket for sure, but are still much cheaper than eating at the hotel restaurants. There is also a gift shop not far from the reception desk (called "Market") where you can buy breakfast food (e.g. croissants, cakes, donuts, etc.).

Parking/Transportation:

From what we saw at the resort, parking at the hotel costs $20/day for the hotel guests, and $25/day for day visitors. The parking spaces seem to be limited, especially for the weekend. We saw the "parking full" sign in sunday morning when we walked by the parking lot. This seems to be unreasonable, as the resort is in an isolated area, and it is difficult to get there without a car. Paying $20/day for parking as a hotel guest? That is quite a rip-off.

We did not rent a car. Instead, we used the shuttle bus service provided by Dragonfly Adventures (arranged at the concierge desk at the hotel) to get to/from the SJU airport. It was convenient and punctual, although it was quite expensive ($35/pp each way for a 30-minutes ride).

For excursions, we also booked at the concierge desk for the Rainforest tour (6 hours) and Bio Bay Kayaking tour (4 hours). The tour opertors (Dragonfly Adventures) provided all transportation. We enjoyed these tours.

All in all, we had a great time at the Gran Melia resort and in Puerto Rico.

Room Tip: try to ask for a room closer to pool/reception building (if you use pool often), and ask for a 2nd f...
3 Thank 1st_Time_in_DR
Dear Guest:

"Gracias MUCHAS" for your recognition of our outdoor gardens, decor and lobby; and I quote you, "As many reviewers said, the grounds are very well maintained and absolutely BEAUTIFUL!"

Thank you as well for your observations regarding: the efficient check-in process, the FREE WIFI-In all our guest rooms, the quality our tours and especially the efficiency and courtesy of the golf carts system utilized to take our guests ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT to the guest rooms.

We apologize for the mishaps with the ice machine and our parking facility. We have taken note to correct these and other deficiencies which do mar your overall assessment of your stay.

Do contact us upon your next stay at the Gran Melia, Puerto Rico we will show the results of our continuous improvements throughout our installations. ¡Le esperamos Pronto!

Columbia, Maryland, EEUU
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have been to Puerto Rico many times but never to the Melia. I had 3 1/2 day meetings but my wife vacationed. I read many reviews and found most of them to be very picky and not a good overall judge of the property or the experience. However, I upgraded my reservation to the RED LEVEL and the room, pool and included breakfast was a great touch and obviously influencing to this review. the hotel is spread out but the exercise/walking was good and there were plenty of carts to take guests to the main building. The bar was disappointing, but this was largely a family resort when we were there, July 28-Aug 3. I would suggest to rent a car if you want to get off the property which was remote to eat locally. The beach was ok but overgrown with seaweed so we stuck to the pool area. the tennis court was acceptable but clearly needs work. Our room was nice and had a ocean view. First room had "partial" Ocean view but with one request we moved. Would it go back, yes, but I would have to have a car.

Room Tip: upgrade to the red level
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,546 reviews
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!