“1st Time in PR”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
Euless, Texas, United States
“1st Time in PR”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This was my husband and I's 1st time in Puerto Rico celebrating our 9yr Anniversary. It was a great hotel with beautiful scenery and atmosphere. Everyone there is very helpful and friendly. The only bad thing is that if you don't have a car your stuck at the resort. It's not a bad place to be stuck at, but its pricey. We rented a car, which was great, but we then had to pay $16.05 a day for parking. That was the only downfall we had. Room service and housekeeping is great. They have golf carts that come pick you up at your door and take to anywhere in the resort.

Room Tip: Upgrade to red level it's well worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ivan S, GEX at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Guest:

Receive a warm “Gracias” from Puerto Rico, Island of Enchantment on your first visit.
Thank you for your stay at the Gran Melia and kind review. We are happy that you enjoyed our atmosphere, tropical grounds and our pride "OUR STAFF".

In regards of renting a car: Now our property is even closer to the heart of San Juan, with no traffic lights, a mere 25 minute ride on Route 66. We provide an in-house Avis Rent–A– Car desk, and can arrange other carriers through our Concierge Desk.

Contact us when making your future visit, love to welcome you back. Please contact me for further assistance

“Gracias” and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Ivan Sotomayor
ivans@granmeliapr.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,444)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Lindenhurst, New York
Reviewed August 25, 2013

when going to Gran Melia, to have a good time you must see eli at the avenue bar/club. its a guaranteed good time. but to organize the good times, the butlers are there; one in particular, being my butler, Oscar. He did call he could during my stay to make it good even on his days off. He even organized my vow renewal on the beach, in less than 24 hrs on his days off along with the help of Josue, his assistant. unfortunately i fell during my stay, which limited my activities he was right there and helped me with a doctor and all other things he could. more than a butler, Oscar became a family friend. thank you Grand Melia for your 5 star service!

Room Tip: Go for the red level comes with many amenities and is worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ivan S, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind review, providing you a memorable experience through the Red Level accommodations / services in our facilities is the basis for our organization. Thank you for sharing your feelings and comments; likewise we will share these with our butlers – they feel very proud of their work.

Look forward greeting you at your next stay. Please do not hesitate to contact me at ivans@granmeliapr.com
Bridgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed August 24, 2013

My sister and I stayed at Gran Melia Puerto Rico for 4 nights in August and we enjoyed our time there!

General impression:

As many reviwers said, the grounds are very well maintained and absolutely BEAUTIFUL! We especially like the pool area where we spent a lot of time both in the mornings and in evenings. We arrived on a Thursday, and left the following Monday, the pool area was quite crowded on Saturday and become much less crowded Sunday evening.

The resort ground was indeed quite large but we walked most of the time except when we arrived and left with luggages. It was always VERY pleasent to walk anywhere in the resort!

Services:

We did not take red-level service. The general service we received was satisfactory and meet out expectation. Unlike many reviwers had complained, we checked-in immediately upon arrival - there was no waiting - no line (we arrived the resort ~6:00pm). The gentleman at the front desk greeted us with smile and assigned us a room with two doule beds on the 2nd floor. Our room was in Bungalow 14 which was ~200 meters from the reception building and about the same distance to the main pool area. The chambermaids did a good job getting our room cleaned and refreshed everyday. We also like the free wireless internet in the room.

The resort golf-cart is very efficient and came to pick up us and our luggages upon our call to the front desk in the early morning (2:40am) on the day we left.

We were however not able to get ice from the ice machines on the resort ground - I tried two machines and there were no ice, and I gave it up. I saw other guests also tried to get ice but weren't able to.

Eat/food:

The hotel restaurants are very expensive. For example, we paid ~$40 for 2 (after 20% discount) to have a breakfast at Café Soleil. If you do not have a car, there was a convenient store in the resort where you can buy milk, bread, ham, cheese, fruits, etc. The prices were higher than the outside supermarket for sure, but are still much cheaper than eating at the hotel restaurants. There is also a gift shop not far from the reception desk (called "Market") where you can buy breakfast food (e.g. croissants, cakes, donuts, etc.).

Parking/Transportation:

From what we saw at the resort, parking at the hotel costs $20/day for the hotel guests, and $25/day for day visitors. The parking spaces seem to be limited, especially for the weekend. We saw the "parking full" sign in sunday morning when we walked by the parking lot. This seems to be unreasonable, as the resort is in an isolated area, and it is difficult to get there without a car. Paying $20/day for parking as a hotel guest? That is quite a rip-off.

We did not rent a car. Instead, we used the shuttle bus service provided by Dragonfly Adventures (arranged at the concierge desk at the hotel) to get to/from the SJU airport. It was convenient and punctual, although it was quite expensive ($35/pp each way for a 30-minutes ride).

For excursions, we also booked at the concierge desk for the Rainforest tour (6 hours) and Bio Bay Kayaking tour (4 hours). The tour opertors (Dragonfly Adventures) provided all transportation. We enjoyed these tours.

All in all, we had a great time at the Gran Melia resort and in Puerto Rico.

Room Tip: try to ask for a room closer to pool/reception building (if you use pool often), and ask for a 2nd f...
3 Thank 1st_Time_in_DR
Dear Guest:

"Gracias MUCHAS" for your recognition of our outdoor gardens, decor and lobby; and I quote you, "As many reviewers said, the grounds are very well maintained and absolutely BEAUTIFUL!"

Thank you as well for your observations regarding: the efficient check-in process, the FREE WIFI-In all our guest rooms, the quality our tours and especially the efficiency and courtesy of the golf carts system utilized to take our guests ALL DAY and ALL NIGHT to the guest rooms.

We apologize for the mishaps with the ice machine and our parking facility. We have taken note to correct these and other deficiencies which do mar your overall assessment of your stay.

Do contact us upon your next stay at the Gran Melia, Puerto Rico we will show the results of our continuous improvements throughout our installations. ¡Le esperamos Pronto!

Columbia, Maryland, EEUU
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I have been to Puerto Rico many times but never to the Melia. I had 3 1/2 day meetings but my wife vacationed. I read many reviews and found most of them to be very picky and not a good overall judge of the property or the experience. However, I upgraded my reservation to the RED LEVEL and the room, pool and included breakfast was a great touch and obviously influencing to this review. the hotel is spread out but the exercise/walking was good and there were plenty of carts to take guests to the main building. The bar was disappointing, but this was largely a family resort when we were there, July 28-Aug 3. I would suggest to rent a car if you want to get off the property which was remote to eat locally. The beach was ok but overgrown with seaweed so we stuck to the pool area. the tennis court was acceptable but clearly needs work. Our room was nice and had a ocean view. First room had "partial" Ocean view but with one request we moved. Would it go back, yes, but I would have to have a car.

Room Tip: upgrade to the red level
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank cpgaylor
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed August 22, 2013

When we check in at red level lounge, they give us room 801. When we arrived we noticed that it is not a red level room. barely no ocean view, no jacuzzi on the balcony, small bathroom. So we call the front desk to ask. Then they changed us to 2017, that's what we booked-ocean view and red level. However they insisted the room 801 is red level, but why on the map it is not? Well, 人艰不拆.

What even worse is the breakfast, it looks not bad, but after eat that all of us feel very uncomfortable in stomach. It's better to drive out and eat the burger king, kfc .etc.

The red level room is fancy, and we take some very good 私房 in the room. They also have a quiet red level pool.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Ivan S, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Dear Guest:

We are very sorry; we apologize for all the inconveniences. We appreciate your time and effort to share with us your experience.

Our management at all levels has taken note of your review for a thorough assessment of your indications. This experience certainly is not reflective of the high quality of services that we offer all our clients daily.

Please contact us before you come to visit us again, we will make it a memorable visit.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Gran Melia 8/16-8/19. We had a one bed room suite in the Red level section. From reading other reviews we rented a car, didn't want to be stuck at the resort. For the 3 days we stayed they charged us $48 for parking. We arrived around 4:30pm and asked for the red level check in. As we passed The regular line for check in, it was long and you could tell people were a little aggravated. The lobby is open air and it was very humid. The red level lounge is air conditioned and there was fruit, water, coffee and tea. Keep in mind when checking in they require a credit card and will hold $100 for each day you plan on staying. We were checked in and was in our suite within minutes. The one bed room suite was perfect for a family of 5. The kicthen had a microwave, stove top and large fridge. Pots, pans, eating utensils, plates and glasses. We also had a dinning room table that seats 6. 2 sofa beds and flat screen TV in the living room. The bedroom had 2 full size beds and another flat screen TV, table and 2 chairs. The bathroom was huge with a jacuzzi tub, shower and 2 toilets. The balcony was nice with a table, chair and love seat and another jacuzzi tub. We ate off property all 3 nights to save money. The first night we ate at a resturant about 10 minutes from the resort called el verde bbq. The food was so good! 2 whole chickens, rice and beans, grilled pork ribs, fried plantains and salad could feed 5 people for only $40. With plenty of leftovers. The second night we went to el jeff burger shack at luquillo beach, 15 min down the road. It was delicious! Burgers and fries for 5 people was only $37. The last night we went to Don Pepe which is about 15 minutes from the resort. They had live music, the portions were huge! Very good puerto rican food! There's so much in the area, grocery store, tons of resturants, walgreens, bakery, fast food, a Mall but, you have to have a car. The resort is huge, from our room to the main lobby is a 10 min walk. But if you press 0 on the room phone they will send a golf cart to pick you up. We got a ride all 3 mornings to breakfast. There is only 1 resturant on site for breakfast, which is buffet, all you can eat. The first morning we walked in and was seated automatically. The 2nd and 3rd morning we waited about 10 minutes. They have a nice spread with 3 omelette stations but, can get boring after a few days. Being part of red level your breakfast is free. It would have cost us $110 each morning for breakfast. So upgrading to red level is worth it in my opinon. The grounds are heavenly and eveyone we passed smiled and said Hola. My 9yrs old daughter said we found paradise! The first night we needed extra sheets and covers for the pull out sofa. Pressed 0 on the room phone and within 10 minutes they were there. Housekeeping came by everyday. Made beds, refresh towels, wiped down counters and swept floors. Red level has it's on pool which was never crowded, there was always chairs, waterbeds and cabanas available. There is also happy hour in the red level louge each night, they have free beer, wine, water and hor d'oeuvres. The beach is right off the pool and they have chairs for you there too. Not really good for swimming, lots of sea weed and shells, great place to sun bath though. My overall experience at the gran melia was a good one. I would recommend it to my family and friends.

Room Tip: Go Red Level if you can.
1 Thank MAYDIE1073
Dear Maydie 1073:

Happy is the hotelier that has many guests from all walks of life, be them: singles – couples – your case FAMILIES. Our treasured guest list reflects people from diverse parts of the world, from business entrepreneurs and capital tycoons, to newlyweds committing to lifelong care and love, to retired couples celebrating their emerald anniversary, to diverse generation families “passing the baton” to the younger leaders of the future.

Serving such a diverse clientele requires us to have a broad array of services and venues suitable to each taste and budget as you experienced. However, each offering is made available with the highest quality standard. Care is placed in meeting all legal and regulatory requirements whilst presenting each with the grace and esthetic appeal demanded by this world class clientele.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, made excellent us of the Red Level service and confirmed through your experience the validity of the claim of some many guests that had a wonderful and memorable experience like your own.

Do contact us upon your next visit to Gran Melia Puerto Rico, look forward meeting and thanking you in person.

Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Okay, so I have read through several of these reviews and the bad ones are pretty accurate. The ones that are good reviews and that refer to the people who wrote the bad reviews as "elitist snobs" were lucky to have had the experience that they had.

Let me start by saying that I am well traveled. I have stayed in everything from dumpy hostels that are musty and over-crowded (while backpacking around Central America) right up to beautiful 5 star resorts. I am NOT elitist, but I DO expect to get what I pay for. Can I ask much from a hostel that charges me only $5 per night for a bed? No. Can I expect a lot from a resort that charges a fortune for everything? THIS was my bigger disappointment with this place. I did not feel like it was worth the amount I was paying.

HUGE TIP if you do choose to stay here: GET RED LEVEL.

CHECK IN
When they say the rooms will be ready at a certain time, add about 3-5 hours onto that estimation.

RED LEVEL
I stayed here as I was part of a 30 person group for a wedding. Myself and 2 friends that I shared a room with, did not realize what Red Level was and so we did not originally sign up for it. After paying $30 each for the breakfast buffet, we decided Red Level would pay for itself, just in the breakfast alone! We tried to switch a couple days into our week and were told it was not possible. We even said that we would stay in our current room (which is apparently not as nice, but they all seemed the same to me when we saw the Red Level rooms) if it meant we could just upgrade to the breakfast buffet included. They said this was not possible. I'm still not sure why. So we paid the $30 for breakfast and over-stuffed ourselves each morning so that we wouldn't have to pay the ridiculous prices for lunch.

FOOD AND DRINK
The cheapest cocktails were $11 and were tiny. Also not worth what you pay. I don't mind paying for a nice meal but the restaurant portions were tiny and expensive. Buffet seemed like a better option but the buffet restaurant was closed 3 of the 5 nights we were there. We tried to save money one night by eating appetizers from the bar. I ordered nachos which were LOADED in liquid cheese, salsa, and sour cream, but contained about 15 chips that were the stalest chips I have ever eaten. Even that cost about $15. Imagine my bliss when we finally drove off the resort and found a local BBQ place just down the road where I got BBQ ribs, fried yucca, rice, a plantain, and a drink for ONLY $7!!!

THE ROOMS
The battery in the safe was low, so the safe would not lock. This was never replaced. Our room did not have a "Do Not Disturb" sign. The housecleaning staff seemed to come when we were getting ready for things so we would kindly ask them to return in an hour. This never happened and so we were often out of towels, shampoo, and even toilet paper. Beds are full beds, not queens so can be tight if sharing. "Ocean View" does not necessarily mean you get to see the ocean. One of the members of our wedding party upgraded to "Ocean View" and the ocean was nowhere in sight.

THE STAFF
Eva the check-in supervisor was awful and rude to our party who was trying to remain calm after waiting 5 hours to get their room.
During a private catered event (The rehearsal dinner for the wedding) one of the bar tenders was constantly on his phone, and at one point told the bride that he would "be right with you" while finishing on his phone. Another server asked me to salsa dance (which I LOVE to do so I agreed) but it wasn't until afterwards that I realized how unprofessional it was.
The woman in the salon, who was supposed to do the bride's hair, was rude. The bride requested to have her natural curls used in the updo and the woman refused and started brushing out the curls. My friend left the trial appointment and cancelled her appointment for the next day, choosing instead for me to attempt an updo.
Some staff were friendly and clearly enjoy their jobs.

THE RESORT
This is a beautiful resort with beautiful grounds. The beach was nice and there are hammocks and beach chairs right at the beach, and plenty around the pool. The resort is very segregated from anything else though. I suggest renting a car to allow yourself the freedom to get off the resort.
The difference between this one and several others I have been to was that there is no entertainment staff. This meant no poolside activities, no events in the evening to bring people out (with the exception of one night that they hosted karaoke), and no night life. We were in bed by 10pm most nights.

If people have had a good experience here, then I am jealous. Like I said at the beginning though, it wasn't the worst place I've ever stayed, but at the worst place I maybe only paid $10 for my stay...

... Not Worth What You Pay

Room Tip: Get Red Level, Rent a Car, Eat OFF the resort!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

The Condado Plaza Hilton
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 48 in San Juan
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!