“High's and Low's”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
Middle Village, New York
“High's and Low's”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This is the third Gran Melia that I've had the pleasure of staying within while traveling to different places. We chose this resort feeling confident that we would not be let down, since the other properties under this chain that we have stayed have been gorgeous and have all met our expectations. With that said, here are some, "High's," and, "Low's." :

High's:
*Large resort, on the beach, with clean, well taken care of grounds.
*Friendly, hospitable staff.
*Clean, spacious rooms.
*Beautiful (Clean) pool.
*Intimate dining/beautiful restaurants

Lows:
*Not many activities on the resort itself
*Food is bland, not very ethnic
*Resort is rather big so it takes a long time to ride out of the resort (about 10 minutes, by car, just to leave the property)
*This property looks EXACTLY like the Gran Melia in Dominican Republic. Same layout, same pool, same lobby, same rooms. (I listed this as a low because I personally like new experiences when I travel to different places.)

Side Note: Our original plan was to stay at El conquistador, the Waldorf property in Pr, because we heard that it was the best. We chose the Gran Melia because it was more affordable and we planned to visit the Waldorf property one day during our stay in PR. We did and, much to our surprise, decided that our resort was more to our liking then the Warldorf property.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sjp9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,417)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I was not impressed with the service provided by this hotel. Upon my arrival at check in time we were told we had to wait that are rooms were not ready. Me and a lot of other guest were in this same situation. Upon expressing my disappointment to Gina the front desk manager she did nothing about it and basically told me that the hotel was full. Another thing that I did not like was that in order to get to your room you had to walk a lot. They have buggy carts that are supposedly on duty 24 hours but I was only able to catch 2 in my whole stay there. I stayed for 4 days. So if you don't want to do a lot of walking don't stay here. Another thing that happened is our sheets were dirty and needed changing. It took over 4 calls to the service desk
for someone to come. The hotel is very nice looking along with the hotel grounds. The rooms were clean and AC did work good. You must rent a car to get around. It's a drive from here to San Juan. It's very close to Yunque. But hopefully you won't have anything go wrong in your stay cause if you do good luck receiving any customer service. The only person that actually seemed like she cared about what I was telling her was Zaira. This was the pleasant young lady that checked me out upon departure. I won't be staying here again.I feel that for what I payed a night the service should have been better. I never ate at the hotel so I would not be able to comment on the food.

• Stayed July 2013
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights and returned home on July 6. We had a nice time at the resort. There are pros and cons about the resort. Pros: Everyone on staff that I encountered was very nice and attentive. You definitely want the Red Level upgrade because they offer a free breakfast buffet every morning. The buffet opens at 7:00 a.m. every morning and if you arrive by 8:30 a.m. there was never a wait. The food there was very good, but the same every day. After about 8:30 or so, there is a wait but we only waited one morning for a table and it was less than a 10 minute wait. They have free happy hour from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. with free appetizers from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. The food does go fast but they stock it back as fast as they can. I never saw anything saying children were not allowed. They let the kids go in so they can eat and get free pop or water. This is part of the service they offer for all Red Level guests. I arrived late in the evening so we didn't have a problem getting checked in a room. The only place to eat during the day is at the pool wet bar & grill. The pool was crowded and our service was fast and good. Best Pina Colida's I have ever had. If you stay Red Level they just ask for your room number and you sign your ticket and fill in the tip for your service on the ticket. I never had to wait long for drinks or food from the pool side bar and grill. The front desk was very helpful and so was the concierge desk. We made reservations for a rental car from Avis in the lobby of the resort before we arrived, so there was no problem getting a rental car. It actually took a whileabout 1 1/2 to get the car but they only had one person working the desk. Housekeeping did an excellent job cleaning our room daily. Sometimes they were slow to get there but I feel that the property owner has the place way under staffed and the staff was doing they best that they could. We stayed in the Red Level Family Junior Suite and it was pretty good. The room was nice, but not over the top. The pools are nice and you can use your spa cards to check out beach towels for the pool and beach. Cons: First of all there is no butler. They guy who picks you and your bags up when you arrive is not your butler. We could not get a golf cart to pick us up after we checked in, except the morning we checked out. When I called to ask about the butler they told me the butler is the concierge desk, room service, house keeping and all of the services they offer bundled together. For the resort to say you have a personal butler is misleading. The resort is spread out and we spent a lot of time walking here and there. The beach is pretty but not good for swimming. It's good for walking. We found a spot to the left of the resort that was nice and you can swim there with privacy. I took insect repellant, which I used, and I got tons of sand fleas bites from sitting on the sand. It was pretty bad. The family suite has a refrigerator, stove top, microwave, and mini refrigerator. The room did smell like mildew, the refrigerator smelled like something had died in there, and the phone receiver in the living area smelled soured. They need to improve on this. The room was hot during the day and a bit uncomfortable during the night. I called about the a/c and they sent someone both times, but they probably need a larger unit to accomodate the conditions and the large amount of rooms they have there. I did not eat at the evening restaraunts because I knew they would be pricey, so we went and bought grocerys. You need a rental car because the beaches are beautiful away from the property, especially the ones you can take day excursions to. My brother stayed in a Red Level junior suite and they enjoyed their room. They did NOT have a stocked refrigerator with refreshments and they do charge you to use the emtpy frig in the room. When I went to the front desk during the day there were lots of people waiting on rooms, but the staff was very polite and friendly and they did have additional staff standing out in front of the desk helping people. I do not believe the problems are from the on grounds staff, but a lack of involvement or concernt from the property owners. I feeel the staff is limited on what they can do because they are under staffed. I don't know if I will return to the property because we were looking for a nicer beach and would want to go somewhere with a better beach area. The beach they have there is kind of like lake swimming but it is very pretty. If you are a pool person then this is probably the place for you. I also tried to get an appointment at the spa but they were booked up so you might want to do this the day you arrive if you want to use their services. Overall we had a good time, but I will probably stay somewhere else next time. I gave a 4 rating but it is really probably a 3.5.

Room Tip: Get Red Level for the best value
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 99RobinP
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We arrived at the Gran Melia around 3:00. We went as a groupe of 4 (2 couples.) When purchased Red Level and were automatically taken to the private check-in area (THANK GOD because the line was getting long). For whatever reason they had my sister's reservation but not mine. The young lady at check-in named ZARIA was absolutely AMAZING. She went out of her way to accomodate us. She was unfortunately very limited in how much authority she had, so we had to wait for our rooms for a bit. She send both rooms complimentary wine and champagne, which was nice for mimosas the following morning.
In the mean time, however, we were offered drinks and then our complimentary happy hour started. We had Garden View Red Level Junior Suits. Note, the rooms on the higher floors have higher cellings and a nice canopy over the bed. The room was clean, spacious, and the AC worked well. There was no functioning mini-fridge and there was a major ice shortage in the hotel (a worker said locals steal it sometimes).
Cafe Solei breakfast was good enough. Normal standard breakfast food. The waiter there, Jose, was also very friendly!

Biggest advice? GET RED LEVEL! Since it was July 4th and the hotel was at full capacity, the main pool was filllllleeeeddd with guests and locals! There were a ton of children and it was incredibly loud. We decided to spend our time at the Red Level Pool, my expeirence would have been awful without it. We had lovely cabanas by the pool and spend the day floating around in it.

HOWEVER, the NO kids rule DID not apply! There was a bunch of teenage girls there that were screaming and splashing about for a good amount of time which was VERY frustrating. They absolutely must enforce that rule.

Beach is not for swimming but cute to take some photos on. Very private around the Red Level pool, feels like a private Oasis.

Food - The Hibacchi resturant was PHENOMENAL! Seriously, I have never had such good hibachhi anywhere! Also, the Puerto Rican Cuisine resturant was likewise very tasty. They are indeed pricey, but the convenience was worth it for us.

Overall, nice experience. Some people are a bit toooooo demanding with these reviews.

Room Tip: if you're going during peak season, GET RED LEVEL! The cabanas by the private pool are BEYOND wo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HeadInTheCloudsNY
Lodi, New Jersey
Reviewed July 8, 2013

As others have mentioned certain things need work on, very understaffed, ice machines broken.

No sign for Red level guests i ended up waiting 40 minutes in the regular check in just to be told i have red level lounge check in,there should be some kind of sign telling people that.

Food at the restaurants is very pricey for 2 people we had $140 bill just for 2 meals and 2 drinks, after which i still had to go back in my room and snack on some chips.

Over all the location and the beach is very quite which allowed me to relax and enjoy some sun.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SergeyBirioukov
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

My husband booked the Gran Melia 2 days before our wedding. We rented car after arriving in San Juan. It was a must. Check-in was a little lengthy but my husband managed to "flirt" us into a complimentary Red Level upgrade since we were on our honeymoon (His smile can be quite convincing :-)) We were greeted by our butler Tony in the parking lot who gave us a golf cart tour of the island and gave us wonderful references for local activities and local diners. We enjoyed our complimentary breakfast at Cafe Soliel every morning. We made happy hour at the Red Level lounge. It was ok. We had a wonderful experience. Quiet beach, clean rooms, helpful staff. Perfect place for a honeymoon.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank parkjones84
Hamburg, New Jersey
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The grounds at Grand Melia are beautiful as are the rooms! Outstanding...but the small details seemed to slip by unnoticed such as no ice! The few ice machines where always empty! When front desk was notified they agreed , there always empty! If this is a problem why did management come up with a solution. The front desk offered to send up a bag of ice right away and none ever came .A small detail but aggravating!!
The bars seemed understaffed and system for charging to credit card was very very slow. 15 minutes to get a drink is not acceptable. Need more staff and possibly implement a scanner system so paying by room key would be much faster

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,700 reviews
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!