“Very Serene...If You Need To Relax...This is The Place!”

Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
Fort Smith, Arkansas
“Very Serene...If You Need To Relax...This is The Place!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This property is very beautiful. From the moment I arrived I was consumed by the tranquility of the place. The grounds are exceptionally well maintained, the soft music relaxing and the pools are so inviting backed by the blue of the Atlantic Ocean. I have stayed here twice, once with family a few years ago and this time on business. The restaurant food is good, but not great. I would recommend paying for a room in the Red Level so food is included in the price if staying at the resort for most of your meals. By paying for a Red Level room, small h'ordeuvers and drinks are available during the evening hours. The open air lobby and bar is a wonderful place to just hang out in the fresh air while visiting or having a drink. The main pool is fabulous and the tropical breezes blow gently while reading, swimming, or having a drink. The sound of birds upon awakening in the morning is so refreshing, especially when sitting out on the balcony or patio. I would highly recommend securing a room with a balcony or patio.

I would rate this resort a five star except for the fact the conceirge could not arrange for a taxi, and referred me to the hotel's transportation porter who promptly said he would have a taxi available for me at a certain time to take me to the Rainforrest. When I got into the vehicle, I asked my driver how much it would be for about a 10 mile journey. He informed me it would be $150, to which I promptly replied that was outrageous. He explained he must stay with me and when I inquired why, I was told he was taking me on a tour. I didn't want a tour, I just wanted transportation to the Rainforrest and back. I asked him to take me back and I arranged to rent a vehicle at the Avis booth. For a mid size vehicle I only paid $71 for the entire day. A much better deal, so I definitely recommend ditching the expensive tours and renting a vehicle. The visitor center at El Yunque explains about the rain forrest and it is very self guiding. I see no reason to hire some one to explain what the movie and visitor center can explain.

Room Tip: One of the rooms facing the ocean is the best value and the best view. Request a room with a patio...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank cphilpot
Ivan S, Guest Experience Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear Guest:

Subscribing to the Red Level Service at the Gran Meliá has many advantages, some of which generously you mentioned in the review, may I add that you have access to butler service for highly individualized care. The specially designed rooms and corresponding facilities like a special pool and a private comfortable lounge provides added incentive to pamper you. Note: In this private lounge, guests have access to a finely printed collection of books and other publications about Puerto Rico – these resources will help you explore all that the beautiful Island of Puerto Rico has to offer. Before you leave you will have first-hand knowledge of locations usually accessible only to locals.

Hopefully you got to try some Puerto Rico’s finest rums. Some visitors like them ‘on the rocks, others with mixers like the Piña Colada, the Rum Punch, whilst others add it to their coffee. Puerto Rico’s rums and Arabica bean coffees have won many awards all over the world. The Vatican has held Puerto Rico as one of its coffee purveyors for many years.

We thank you as well for your comments regarding the transportation arrangements. Do contact the Guest Experience executives before your next visit, we will make it a memorable one.

Iván Sotomayor
isotomayor@granmeliapr.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,443)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Couldn't ask for nothing better. Wonderful place Great Service. Awesome scene. I would totally come back here. I was sooo impressed with the staff friendliness very near to Old San Juan the Forest Yunque. A great place to visit as well the Camuy Caves. Speechless.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank krybra
Dear Guest:

Thank you for all of your commentaries within the Gran Melia resort and when you traveled outside of the resort. Many of the nearby facilities to the resort are well attended by their owners and are frequented by tourists and hotel employees year-round.

We are glad that the resort design in many of its public facilities pleased you, made you appreciate living in a tropical paradise: the gentle breeze, the birds and iguanas, the vegetation throughout all of the resort, the breath-taking Atlantic Ocean view, the art-fully furniture / decorations and the spectacular pool.

There is nearby access to many local attractions, included the El Yunque National Rain Forrest, Las Cabezas de San Juan Reservoir in Fajardo, the ample Luquillo Beach. In many of these beaches, surfers enjoy riding the waves or almost flying with their kite-surfing gear. Other guests do snorkeling and scuba-diving see firsthand the splendor of our reefs.

Please contact us before you come to visit us again, we will make it a memorable visit.

Iván Sotomayor
Guest Experience Manager
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this resort with my husband and it was a memory we cant forget considering weve been to many caribbean locations. The food, the service, the views, the sunset were all perfect. Passion restaurant was amazing we keep reminiscing about the food yumm!! Will deffinately return to paradise with friends and family!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank lizfranciely
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The Good,
The resort is fabulous. The lobby as well as the shops and restaurants are contained in an open air atrium with polished granite walk ways and chirping birds. The lobby and lounge area is art-fully furnished and decorated, In the morning they light jasmine incense through-out the resort complex......You sort of feel that you are in a tropical palace... makes for a very romantic setting. Loved the pool and the beach is very picturesque...but is somewhat rocky. Our room was comfortable, but the bathroom had a slight musty smell that disturb my wife. Grounds are well maintained and transportation to the lobby is on golf carts that run around the complex frequently. If you decide to walk the grounds there are iguanas that sun themselves on the garden rocks. I recommend a car rental since the resort is away from most of the tourist attractions. The rain forest however is very close to the resort and old San Juan is only about 30 minutes away.

The Bad,
Food at the resort is costly. the Breakfast buffet is $25 and you can not order a la carte. Luckily we found a bakery just before you get on the main road (Hwy#3). Which is about a 5 minute drive from the Hotel Parking Lot. The food is great and you can feast on pastries, coffee, eggs, bacon and ham in the morning for about $7.

I would caution you on getting any sort of advice from the concierge. We asked about eating out and were sent to a part of Puerto Rico that was very shady and unsafe. The concierge raved about the area and also told us that the ride was just 30min from the Hotel, It turned out to more than an hour drive one way. When we returned all the restaurants were closed or over booked so we ended up ordering Nachos and brachetta from the bar for over $50.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Ivan S, Guest Experience Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear John G:

Do not forget to like us at facebook.com/granmeliapuertorico

Ivan Sotomayor
Largo, Florida
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Checking was horrible, we got there at noon were told our room would be ready before 3pm and we did not get the room till 6 and we did not get the room continuos as requested and PREPAID, They have serious issues at the front desk and seems as they are understaffed , On the other hand we had the luck of meeting ELI what a guy ! This guy should be managing , he helped ,he apologized for the other troubles we had and was all over making us feel great , he attended to all of my group elderly and toddlers included, He is a STAR , I would see him day and night and he will always come and greet us and helped us in many different ways , He also introduced us to Tony the next day and just like Eli he was absolutely fantastic .
Highly recommend you pay for the RED Level Club as you will see these great man in the lounge , ANd in includes a daily complimentary happy hour with Appetizers and also the Breakfast buffet was excellent and part of the RED LEVEL EXPERIENCE ,it was very inspiring to see a Chef in a wheelchair making omelets and great ones and fast ,,,
But with all said ELI was the HERO of this place ,always and everywhere smiling and taking care of the guest , Thanks ELI your a great person and we wish you success.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ricardo V
Dear Ricardo V:

Reading your kind words of appreciation for the services provided to our guests makes us so proud of our people! We feel your emotion for the friendliness shared by you and our employees; this is a human trait that is a reflection of the persons’ heart. With your permission we will share your review with our staff, they all deserve this recognition.

Thank you for visiting several of Puerto Rico’s attractions, including some that will leave you speechless – like Las Cuevas de Camuy. Did you visit the Arecibo Space Observatory – very close to Las Cuevas de Camuy? Impressive!

Make your commitment to come back a reality, but first call us ahead of time. We want to make your stay a memorable one.

Iván Sotomayor Serra
Virginia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just returned and had a fabulous time in Puerto Rico at Gran Melia. I thought it was a beautiful resort. the majority of the staff was friendly and efficient. Our room as very comfortable and clean. I thought the food was great and would return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank 10travel53
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed May 7, 2013

So you had a great flight deal and booked another great deal for this beautiful resort? Be warned that the buck doesnt' stop there. Upon checking in, I found out that the resort requires a deposit of $500 on your card for "extras." I was able to get them down to $250 but you can forget about charging anything to your room if this is the case. If you have a rental car, you will be charged $13.95 per day to park. If you are not renting a car, they will pick you up from the airport for $35 per person. Skip breakfast here! For 2 people it will be $50. Yes, $50 for breakfast and that doesn't include the tip. Don't bother eating at the restaurants, the food is miserable. I'm completely serious on this. The food was far from worth the inflated price they were charging. We asked one of the locals working there for a nice restaurant and the food was incredible with a beautiful view of the sea. If you wish to spend the day at the resort's beach, go to the local market and pick up items for a quick lunch back at the room. There are signs telling you that no food are drinks are allowed from the outside but if you go by their rules and eat there you will soon break the bank.

Now, would I stay there again? Absolutely! The grounds were so very beautiful. I fell asleep 2 different nights in a hammock by the ocean. Didn't mean to, it was just to peaceful and I felt completely safe. There are several pools to enjoy, music in the evening, golf nearby and so much more. You may find staying there on the beach the perfect vacation and you will have a lot to do without leaving the resort. The place is lovely and peaceful. I would return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
The Condado Plaza Hilton
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 48 in San Juan
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!