“Great For Families - Just be patient and persistent”

Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great For Families - Just be patient and persistent”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We just returned from Gran Melia on March 2 after enjoying a really nice vacation.

Things I liked
- The beach. There were such amazing pockets of spectacular beaches. Shell hunting with the kids, finding hermit crabs, these were such a wonderful part of our vacation. Also during our time there, there was many many times when we had the beach to ourselves.

- Size and location. I really hate going to a resort and looking down the beach and seeing resort, after resort, after resort. I also hate a towering hotel looking resort. This place is neither of those things. I loved being on the beach and just not seeing a single property. Also, the resort is tucked in an is at max 3 stories. It was pleasantly quiet and there were pockets of partying and that is great. But you can escape the madness when you want to.

- The staff. For the most part people are extremely friendly and helpful. We did have some issues with the room and the kids club. But after discussing with the staff the issues were resolved ten fold. They went out of there way to ensure we had a great experience which we did. The kids club stafff as well as the entire staff at Nami were simply the nicest and best people around.

Things I didn't like:

- Really just that it felt like the property was being transitioned and they were working out the bugs. So you did have to "complain" but again issues were always resolved promptly and with sincerity.

- Meals. While I had the opposite experience from another reviewer - I enjoyed Nami and hated Tempo. At tempo it took 3.5hrs for our dining experience. With small children you can imagine how unfun this was. After all that time our lamb was overcooked - Staff was apologetic and situation was handled as well as could be. Do PLAN AHEAD. Make reservations. Don't forget the puerto rican restaurant - which was really good.

I think to be a reasonable traveller is also helpful. Don't expect the Ritz Carlton anywhere except this Ritz. Also this is not a culinary resort. The food is as you would expect it to be. If you like a secluded resort with many amenities and a super friendly staff, then this is a great place for you.

Also, I didn't experience the loud people with bags of food at the pool. On Saturday there was a family with food with 5-6 kids. They were loud as children are and they were having a great time. I did not notice trash everywhere. This particular pool however, was super quiet the bulk of the time and there is an adults only pool on the premises which helps if you want to escape the noisier times.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 37's at the resort. Why I liked this is because there was a small secluded bea...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank kbcattran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,420)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Just like everyone else, I was worried about staying here after reading the reviews. The best advise I can give is to relax... those reviewers were looking for things to complain about. Did I see some of those things? Yes. But you have to make a choice to have them bother you. Could the place use a little sprucing up? Yep, but will dirt in the corner or a stain on a chair ruin your trip? If so, then you need better priorities for your trip. The grounds are spectacular, the weather is fantastic, the water is gorgeous. What else do you need?

90% of our encounters with the staff was positive. We stayed in a Red Level room and frequented the Red Level pool. They could use a few extra people to man the bar, but overall we spent a lot of time there and enjoyed the bali beds tremendously. Wear your sunscreen! You will burn if not used.

The rooms were nice, no musty smell that others complained about. The air conditioners run no matter what temp you put it at but it is comfortable.

The location of the hotel is kind of remote. You need to check your quick-paced expectations at home. Be prepared for "Island Time." You should pick this place if relaxation is your goal and not a lot of off-site trips. I would stay somewhere else if you don't want to pay for a lot of cab rides or a rental car. If you are looking for a trip into town, I would highly recommend Jeff with JL Transport Service. He was a fantastic guide to Old San Juan. He dropped us off and we wandered through town. He picked us back up a few hours later and drove us to our restaurant for dinner and then drove us back to the hotel afterward for an extremely reasonable price. He was our personal chauffeur for 7 hours!

The beach... well, if you walk to the right you will find that the large boulders end and you can go in the water. It does have some spots with seagrass, but it is not that bad. The sand is rough, mostly made of shells, you can go barefoot, but it is not soft.

While we did not go to any of the onsite restaurants for dinner- we were there for a very large convention where the dinners were buffet style in various places around the resort that would have been prepared by the restaurants. They were OK. Nothing outstanding or bad either. We did go to Soleil for the buffet breakfasts. They were very good and the staff was great there.

Overall, I would come back for total relaxation and no expectations.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank goosebeast
northport, n y
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Let me admit up front that I was here last year and swore I would never return. However, my father surprised us with an all expense paid trip back and who could refuse that! The resort is absolutely beautiful but the service is horrendous. We stayed red level in two villas. Upon arrival the employees at the red level desk could not have been less interested in checking us in. A woman with a completely dead personality sat at her computer, never looking up and checked us in. Not a welcome, not a glad to have you back. Nothing. The whole red level staff just couldn't be bothered helping you with anything despite the fact that you pay more for this service. The only red level employee, Gabrielle, who sets up happy hour ,is worth saving. He truly has pride in his job and wants his guests to be pleased. The rest should be fired.
Our villas were lovely .however, be forewarned if you splurge on a villa you are on Sol Melia property which is a time share property. The first few days were great . Mostly nice families with children quietly enjoying the beautiful area. There is a bar but no food! And no pool service at your bali bed. you must order room service.Ulysses ,the pool attendant, was EXCELLENT. Our Bali beds were made early and with the requisite vacation swan towel design every morning. He constantly asked if we needed anything. Great employee.but then the weekend came and all hell broke loose. Evidently locals buy timeshares here..many families contribute to ONE share and fill up the villa with 20 people. They swarm the pool..yelling and screaming, smoking,swearing, bringing bags of food and liquer,leaving trash everywhere. Two days in a row we,and other guests,fled the pool. Disgraceful. ....according to security this happens often.....
Food.....Nami is garbage...food in edible....staff could not care...
Tempo is your only hope.....the manager on duty was Phillip Soto, and quite frankly he should run the whole resort. He belongs at the St Regis....nice guy....cares about his restaurant and his guests experience... When he heard about our Nami experience went out of his way to treat us like gold...we even went back again last night where he greeted us with champagne at a beautiful outdoor table and sent over the violinist to us. Top notch.our server Domingo was also top notch. He anticipated our every need, timed the meal perfectly and was professional. He too is too good for this place.
This place needs to learn about customer service. Presently I'm sitting by the red level pool.....no waiter serving drinks...no weekend bbq as promised...this morning I had to ask the pool guy to make my bed and he said "When I'm ready" ...it was 10:30.....the pool guy and security are in the palm trees doing god knows what....I easily could have spent $200 by now if only there was someone to SERVE ME!!!
I'm an attorney, not in hotel service, but I could tell these people in about an hour how to make a fortune here....do not waste your money here if you think this is on par with the st Regis...ritz Carlton etc....it is NOT...it's mostly Holiday Inn all the way.....five days here cost us five thousand..for two thousand more I could have been treated like royalty at the StRegis...I'll either be there or the El Conquistador next year....

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank adriNorthport
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 1, 2013

So I and my boyfriend recently stayed at the gran Melia resort from 2/11-2/16. We got an amazing deal that included air and hotel. I was a bit nervous from all the reviews I read before leaving. But we had an amazing time where do I start everything was amazing the beach, pool, people.
Me and boyfriend literally became friends with everyone who was staying at the resort it was just so great. We also visited the rain forest which was absolutely amazing. Over all I did not want to leave. If you are looking for a place to relax and not have any worries this is the place our room was in perfect condition. The one thing that was disappointing was there was nothing to really do after 11pm. You need to rent a car if you are looking for than just relaxation. The hotel did have live music for an hour two which was nice. Also the pool is open all night which was nice too. Hope this helps

Room Tip: Room closest to pool
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank sue h
Mariana R, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear: Sue H

Receive a warm “Gracias” from Puerto Rico, Island of Enchantment!!

Thank you for your stay at the Gran Melia and kind review. We are happy that you enjoyed our Private beach, pool and staff.

Contact us when making your future visit, love to welcome you back. Please contact me for further assistance, Ivans@granmeliapr.com

“Gracias”
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Beautiful place, nice 24Hrs/7 POOL! very bad service in all of its areas, it needs improvement ASAP! If you happen to be attended by a girl named Carmen...star praying for whom you believe... This kind of people shouldn't be working at a front desk, just the way she look at you make you feel unwelcome.

The service at some of the restaurants are nothing but BAD! We waited almost 45 minutes just to have our very first drinks served... Where? Well, at the Asian Bistro. Our Food was delayed so much, that the Manager says that dinner would be free of any charge. Thanks for the Waiter Raul??? He did a excellent Job by showing concern and empathy.

Try to book a table everyday even though you think you won't eat at any of the restaurants...AVOID TO GO TO BED WITH EMPTY STOMACH.

When you check in you'll receive your room Keys card plus the Yih cards. This ones are good to pick up some beach towels...CATCH??? If you don't bring the towels back before 6:00pm you will be charged USD$35.00 per each towel!

If you want to swim in the night time (which is the best experience ever) pick up your towels at the Hotel Concierge located right in the main Lobby entrance, They don't ask for the YIH CARD and you won't be charged at all!

Rooms are beautiful and comfortable, pretty well cleaned and kept. Weird smell, MOLD? Pillows are Garbage. I think that you can get something way much better for the price per night at this location, try Intercontinental San Juan that is something else.

Bottom line, We had a great time in Puerto Rico and we are planning our next trip to go back again.

Room Tip: Ground Level, buildings 14,17,15
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AD A
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

I really wanted to love this resort. Everything about it is physically beautiful. We had an ocean suite in the red level area which was right across from a gorgeous pool. The grounds were well tended. The problem is that we traveled with my son so we had to walk to the other end of the resort to use the pool that allowed children. All the pools were gorgeous, which is good because you could spend the entire day at the pool. Service everywhere was hit or miss though. There were mornings I couldn't get a cup of coffee at breakfast, but then we'd get an amazingly attentive waiter for lunch. Buffets were really fresh and good, but expect to pay about $25 with a drink. There is no laundry facility and not even a place to hang a wet bathing suit, which was impractical for a family with kids. There were golf carts you could call or use to get around but mostly we walked. It is a large resort. If you need service with the front desk or concierge, expect to wait and expect it to take a couple of attempts. My advice- lower your expectations if you go and enjoy being outdoors in a beautiful setting. Sometimes it is all about location.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank alibarbaraMilwaukee
Milford, Ohio
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I recently stayed at the Gran Melia for 4 days and the experience was excellent. A pure delight for all the senses!! Endless beauty, friendly, competent staff that catered to our every need, breathtaking views, pristine beach, HUGE pool, extremely clean & plenty to do!!! Very picturesque!

Room Tip: Be very specific about your view expectations i.e. unset views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jodiegirl37
Mariana R, Guest Relations Manager at Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Jodiegirl37

Thank you for your kind review and for being part of our extended family. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future again. Please feel free to contact me directly at ivans@granmeliapr.com if I can be of any assistance.

Always at your service,
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,705 reviews
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!