We just returned from Gran Melia on March 2 after enjoying a really nice vacation.
Things I liked
- The beach. There were such amazing pockets of spectacular beaches. Shell hunting with the kids, finding hermit crabs, these were such a wonderful part of our vacation. Also during our time there, there was many many times when we had the beach to ourselves.
- Size and location. I really hate going to a resort and looking down the beach and seeing resort, after resort, after resort. I also hate a towering hotel looking resort. This place is neither of those things. I loved being on the beach and just not seeing a single property. Also, the resort is tucked in an is at max 3 stories. It was pleasantly quiet and there were pockets of partying and that is great. But you can escape the madness when you want to.
- The staff. For the most part people are extremely friendly and helpful. We did have some issues with the room and the kids club. But after discussing with the staff the issues were resolved ten fold. They went out of there way to ensure we had a great experience which we did. The kids club stafff as well as the entire staff at Nami were simply the nicest and best people around.
Things I didn't like:
- Really just that it felt like the property was being transitioned and they were working out the bugs. So you did have to "complain" but again issues were always resolved promptly and with sincerity.
- Meals. While I had the opposite experience from another reviewer - I enjoyed Nami and hated Tempo. At tempo it took 3.5hrs for our dining experience. With small children you can imagine how unfun this was. After all that time our lamb was overcooked - Staff was apologetic and situation was handled as well as could be. Do PLAN AHEAD. Make reservations. Don't forget the puerto rican restaurant - which was really good.
I think to be a reasonable traveller is also helpful. Don't expect the Ritz Carlton anywhere except this Ritz. Also this is not a culinary resort. The food is as you would expect it to be. If you like a secluded resort with many amenities and a super friendly staff, then this is a great place for you.
Also, I didn't experience the loud people with bags of food at the pool. On Saturday there was a family with food with 5-6 kids. They were loud as children are and they were having a great time. I did not notice trash everywhere. This particular pool however, was super quiet the bulk of the time and there is an adults only pool on the premises which helps if you want to escape the noisier times.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With an idyllic location on Puerto Rico's northeastern coast in Coco Beach, Rio Grande, Gran Melia Puerto Rico brings the privacy and exclusivity you deserve and allows you the opportunity to escape from the rest of the world. From the moment you step inside this tropical oasis, you will be enveloped by the beauty and grandeur of Gran Melia Puerto Rico. Boasting a world-class YHI spa, the nearby Trump International Golf Club and the best pool on the island with four integrated whirlpools, Gran Melia Puerto Rico is the place to live the true resort experience in Puerto Rico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Prodigios Interactivos SA, Priceline, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Cancelon, HRS and Evoline ltd so you can book your Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Hotel Rio Grande
- Gran Melia Rio Grande
- Sol Melia Rio Grande
- Paradisus Puerto Rico
- Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico Rio Grande