“Very relax vacation”
Review of Melia Coco Beach

Melia Coco Beach
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed in February 2012. The Resort is nice and specially the beach, you do not see 100s beach chair laying next to each other.... The resort is located in a curve in which makes it very convinient to find a great spot on the beach to relax. The restaurants are expensive and the food is not that great. Free wifi is a plus! Bear in mind that from the airport to the hotel is very expensive. Approx. USD75 one way.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Melia Coco Beach

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I honeymooned here and we had a blast. The architecture is exotic in nature....no doors, large entry ways, lots of fountains etc. There is complimentary taxi service all over the resort. So anytime you leave your room all you have to do is call the front desk and they give you a ride anywhere on the grounds: your car, pool, etc. The breakfast buffet was awesome (my favorite meal of the day anyway :-) A couple of things we didn't like, the beach is VERY narrow, not much room to lay out and enjoy the water w/o getting wet. Also, the restaurants on the grounds are a bit over-priced. Not many available activities on the grounds either. San Juan and Old San Juan is about 25 min away, several restaurants. I recommend dining there. Overall, we had a great experience. Be sure and rent a car. Very cheap to do so...and visit the National Rainforest (bring hiking shoes and take a lot of pics near the waterfall and Turtle beach. Can't wait to visit again!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Rick F
Mariana R, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Rick F:

On behalf of the entire staff and all the members of the Gran Melia family, please kindly receive a “Felicidades” on your wedding! Thank you for your review and sharing how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you were to need further assistance in your 1st anniversary celebration and accommodations.

Always at your service,

ivans@granmeliapr.com

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Although a beautiful locale, the beach is nonexistent . The pools are lovely as are the suites . The food was very nice and authentic Puerto Rican . The service was terrible. The front concierge tried her best but was severely hampered by the management. He was rude and disruptive as well as being in our face. We stayed for a week but will not return. The underlings did their best to make up for their two managers but they left a very sour taste . We spoke to others and they felt the same. It was not the wedding /honeymoon experience anyone should remember

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank cassiesmummy
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The only part of our stay that went quickly was checkout.

We were there with a group so we had reduced rates. If I was paying full fare I probably would have asked to see the manager. Everything from check-in, drinks at the pool bar, lunch, shuttles to get around the property...took forever.

I found that most of the negative reviews about this hotel were correct. Perhaps, if you stay in the condos or the Red Level rooms the service is better.

We stopped at the nearby Wyndham before we went to the airport because we refused to eat another meal on the property. The service there was so much better.

If I was ever to return to this island, I would never return to this resort and given a choice I would stay in a different area of the island as Coco Beach is in the middle of nowhere.

Room Tip: There have a newer building which is condo like. Employees told me that were newer and so much nice...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife and I stayed for one night on our first anniversary. The hotel itself is creatively designed and beautiful, the rooms are spacy and comfortable and the staff is attentive and friendly and the ambiance is relaxed and peaceful. It has a beach and several beautiful pools, fountains and gardens. There’s a golf course nearby for those who enjoy this sport. It has pool tables, pin pong, beach volleyball, karaoke, a small arcade and quite a few bars. Complimentary breakfast was offered at their Cafe Soleil which was well staffed and attended to; food quality was well within standards. Free coffee and water was available from the red level lounge and some aperitifs were served from 5:30 to 6:30pm.

However the TEMPO restaurant was a whole different experience... the overall design was dated and tacky, the service was terrible and the food although good tasting was less than impressive (considering the price tag) we could've gotten a better meal and better service at the local Longhorns (not to say I can cook a better meal and feed 10 people in the process myself for that price) in fact we had a better food experience out of the basic room service for half the price.(yes we were left hungry and had to order room service).

Although this was low season all the "bungalows" by the red level pool were "reserved" which meant they were empty for hours a day and the staff were quick to remove anyone (even red level customers) because they were reserved.

The beach was deserted and so were the pools. Only the restaurants were half full.

The market place is incredibly overpriced even by tourism standards, most of the items you could get from the local Walgreens were five times the regular price. Just because you are a "five star" hotel doesn't mean you have gold encrusted caviar toothpaste or that the doodle that my 2 month old baby can make is worth $200.00.

Although the facilities were beautiful and well-kept and some of the artwork decorating the rooms was half decent, for its “five star” standing this experience left much to be desired.

If you want to spend your dollar intelligently, have fun, and be catered to like a king, get a cruise this hotel is cute but it doesn't quite make it.

Room Tip: Go anywhere but the TEMPO restaurant... Room service is better.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ragevortex
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Where I shall begin?...Front desk...a nightmare. Not service oriented. Late, late, late check in. I arrived at four thirty pm, half an hour after the check in time and my room was not ready until Six pm...But they want to charge you ten dollars for every hour that you need to stay after your check out time. Mediocre food, Do not order pizza, it's awful...expensive restaurants. Long wait. Terrible location. Not even a complimmentary bottle of water. The beach is full of rocks. You can not see a member of management anywhere. They even charge you a "donation" for UNICEF, without your concent in your final invoice.

If you can avoid this "4 star resort" please do.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Tomas N
Mariana R, Guest Relations Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Tomas N:

We are deeply sorry you are disappointed with your experience at our facilities. Your observations regarding several units of our organization are being addressed by senior management along with supervisory staff to implement corrective measures.

On behalf of our General Manager we thank you for taking the time and effort to call these items to their attention.

We look forward to have a second opportunity to impress you, kindly contact me at ivans@granmeliapr.com

Always at your service,

Reviewed January 22, 2013

After driving for about an hour or so we had to wait at least another hour to figure out our room situation. Once we finally arrived in our room it smelled horribly of cigarette smoke. The hotel put us in another room that smelled not only of cigarette smoke but it also smelled like mold so we had to be moved for a second time. After a long day of travel and finally putting our bags down in a room all we wanted to do was relax at the beach and get some food, who knew this would be so hard at a resort! The bar was blasting tacky "caribbean" remixes that I can only imagine would appeal to someone who had been drinking all day. Since there was nowhere else to buy food, since all of the restaurants were closed, we were forced to wait in the hour long line of angered and frustrated people to get something to hold us over until dinner. This "snack" was not cheap might I add. The restaurants, that we had to make reservations for 3 nights in advance, were nothing to rave about. The Asian restaurant and the Puerto Rican restaurant were tolerable but very expensive, the service was incredibly slow as well!! But the Italian restaurant was horrible!! The food was disgusting, never in my life have I experienced such cruise ship grade food at a supposedly luxury destination. The beach was very pretty and I didnt know what people meant by saying it that it wasnt good for swimming, until I went. The beach and water were not only filled with rocks but the water was almost entirely marshland that hid just under the surface of the water, at no point was I able to get more than from my waist down in the water. The pool was pretty cold too. You wouldn't think this would be a problem in the warm climate but if you are just trying to relax in one of the lounge chairs, that they built into it, or just float around it was too cold to stay in after 10 minutes. The hotel was filled with member only facilities which made it feel as though you were low class even though you were spending a lot of money. The hotel itself was located in a very poor area of the island filled with bars that I would not suggest exploring at night.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 47 in San Juan
El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort

Been to Melia Coco Beach? Share your experiences!