“Worth What We Paid” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico

You added Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico to your Saves list
Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   200 Coco Beach Blvd. | Highway 955-I, Rio Grande 00745, Puerto Rico   |
Offers & Announcements
SPECIAL OFFER
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
Fargo, North Dakota
“Worth What We Paid”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We got a very good deal for 5 nights and flight from MPLS - it was about $650/person so I can't complain too much. We were at a wedding and didn't try other resorts in the area as this is where everyone was staying. I'll write a bit about our experience so you can be informed when you come.

Nothing is really open for food or drink during the day besides the pool area grill which has a lot of birds. We did most of our excursions early in the day or later in the night so grabbed food outside the resort for the most part. They alternate which restaurants are open each night. We tried both the Passion and Asian place. I'd recommend the Asian place - we had scallops and shrimp at the hibachi grill and the sushi roll was delicious. Expect to pay well over $60/person. If you want PR food, there are much better deals and food outside the resort - Passion was not worth the price).

Rent a car. It is $15/day to park there, but worth it to get to different sites and save money on transports to/from excursions and airport as you can rent a car for $15/day as well. It's not American driving, but it isn't Costa Rican driving either so you can get around without too much fear. Get directions from the sites you are going to visit - street signs are iffy at best.

We were also able to sneak in some food from Walmart for breakfast and snacks (there is a mini-fridge in the room) and some mixers and drinks. I think security cares, but our maids only helped us keep our beer organized and clean. I definitely suggest bringing a bag cooler (like on a golf car).

Things are a little hectic at the front desk and valet areas but if they saw you waiting they usually tried to get to you quickly. The grounds are beautiful and well kept. The maid service could use a little work, but we tipped our second day instead of waiting until the end of our stay and it was very clean after that. There was a musty smell in the room - our clothes were quite stinky by the time we left (even the clean ones). They weren't very helpful with late check out. I think they must have a deal for locals on the weekends if they are not full with other guests. It was suddenly completely overcrowded at the pool on Saturday and a noticeable change in the level of service towards everyone else.

There is a $100/day hold on your credit card to pay the $12/day resort fee (don't think it has been used much lately on actual updates to the hotel), your parking, and other charges. They do want you to charge drinks and food to your room - especially at the pool bar. However, the gals at the main bar were always agreeable to cash and debit cards.

We got a great deal on rooms. If we had to pay full price or what some other reviewers paid, I'm not sure my reviews would have been as great. We heard from others that the Wyndham actually recommends bringing in your own food and booze and is a little more updated as far as cleanliness than this resort was.

Rent a car, get off the resort, sneak in snacks and booze (and cups), enjoy the pool when you can, go with a group of friends, and relax about things. If you go with the flow and are cordial with the staff you will have a good time. Everyone we interacted with for the most part was helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Try to get in a bungalow near the lobby - you can avoid needing the "transfers" all the ti...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Brianna-B-There

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,202)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Santa Clara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I went as a red level guest in an ocean view room, it had a Jacuzzi on the balcony. Upon arrival at 12:30am, we were greeted by a pleasant receptionist. There were no food or bar places open! We could not get a drink or welcome drink, we got some sandwich boxes brought up.
The jacuzi did not work (new motor), a light didnt work and fixture was coming off the wall and a floor tile was a little loose, other than that everything seems fine and nice.
We bought some beer at a local supermarket but were not allowed to take it into the room, we had to sneak it in a suitcase in the end, there seems to be two factions, security and hotel staff, where things dont always get along.
Passion food was below average, dried chicken, asian place was better, Italian also wasn't bad.
We had two cloudy days and 3 sunny days. pool was great and the beds were nice (at the pool). Drinks were strong, tad expensive though, sea temp nice, very calm water.
Free breakfast was great on days we made it, free drinks and food 5-8pm were also great, local beer or wine/champers.
All in all not bad, would come again if a cheaper deal, 2800 for 6 nights + flights from SFO was a little expensive.
We rented a car and driving was sometimes a pain as the signs are not that great. But we drove to the food kiosks, from the airport to hotel, to the waterfalls in the rain forest and the bio-luminescence lagoon (best trip by far).

1 Thank DJ Crazy Legs H
Toms River, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My lil makeup bag was stolen at the pool. Thank god my license wasn't in it! Pool bartender was rude. He didn't want to work! Harassed to listen to a presentation for a time share. I'm in sales too but come on! Messed up our rental, no flowers available for valentines day. My guy had to drive to the neatest store and get himself!
Beautiful hotel and property but needs better people/service and staff members. A lot of attitude!

Room Tip: There all nice
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Bourbonnais, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 9 days in November. Our reservation was red level service and we upgraded to ocean front room(not necessary since we were NEVER in the room). The red level breakfast was delicious. Buffet with made to order omelettes, pancakes and eggs. Fresh fruit and juice, yogurt and pastries. We had a large enough breakfast we didn't eat lunch! The red level pool was the best part. Everyday REUBEN had our Bali bed ready and the bar tenders, GUSTAVO and MIGUEL, were awesome! We never went without anything. The massage therapist, BILL, was extremely friendly and helpful. They all recommended restaurants, gave directions to anywhere we were headed and were SO helpful all week long.

We did rent a car from the airport (HIGHLY RECOMMEND! They run out at resort and are way more expensive) so we only ate at the resort one night at passion. The kiosks at luquillo have unbelievably good restaurants. Our favorites that were recommended by gran melia staff were # 1 (stuffed grouper), 12 (ginger mojitos) and 20 (shrimp arepas). We went back to each restaurant more than once. We also did a food walking tour in Old San Juan one evening.

The resort is about 20 minutes from airport with no traffic. Check a map before you drive and you will make it fine. My husband and I are not adventuresome and we did make one wrong turn on the way to the resort but easily found our way. Driving into old san Juan was also pretty easy. We have an iPad so we checked maps before we went anywhere and the guys mentioned above again were VERY helpful.

The resort is queit at night, not much night life but that was ok for us . We were there for a relaxing trip for our anniversary and time away from hustle and bustle of 3 kids. We couldn't have asked for a better trip and will return without hesitation!

2 Thank Allison D
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is an absolutley amazing resort. When I initially booked this trip, the reviews were mixed that I read. Once I booked and arrived, it was an amazing experience. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms are absolutely wonderful. My key recommendation for staying at this hotel is to either upgrade to the "royal service" which allows you the ability to have drinks in their private lounge and butler service, or to stop by a store on your way in to the hotel and pick up alcohol and mixers as it can become a bit pricey to continue to order drinks. The royal pool is also nice as well to get a little peace and quiet and be secluded. For this particular resort, I wouldn't do more than a few days at a time. Happy travels!!!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Israel G
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I can only be honest about this hotel / resort, I have always been told that everyone has 2 things in common and one of them is their opinion. First let me say that this hotel is way off the beaten path, its about an hour drive from the airport. GPS units dont work for the address given you have to use clubhouse dr. Do upgrade to the Red Level it comes with free Bfast, your own check in and Red Level drinks everyday for 2 hours. It also says Butler service, well only when they have one. Great service when you get there but then it drops off. The money that we spent on this hotel and all the add ons we could of stayed in Old San Juan where the real fun is. If you want to relax and not do anything but live at the resort this is the place.

Room Tip: Dont pay to upgrade to Ocean Front, whirlpool has no privacy can be scene by your neighbors.
3 Thank simcoper
Yonkers, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I'd like to start this review off with the fact that we were married at The Gran Melia. Overall, we had an amazing experience. Maybe it was because we were on cloud nine, it being our wedding and all, but I really don't have anything to complain about. One of the scariest things when planning our wedding was coming home from Puerto Rico (after visiting tons of venues and deciding on the Gran Melia) to read negative review after negative review on here. I was ready to change the venue just based on these reviews, but the hotel was exactly what we wanted in terms of the style and decor of our wedding that we decided to stick with it. I was so concerned that I would check reviews like once a month to see if there was anything positive for a change!

We decided to stay at the Melia the summer before our wedding when we were meeting with vendors. I went into our stay on the lookout for all of the "cons" I'd read on here. I was looking for moldy rooms, smelly phones, rude staff, a long check in and check out process, you name it, I was ready to attack. Instead, we ended up having a great experience. Everyone was so warm and nice, our room that first trip was very basic (the cheapest room), but it was great. We literally had nothing to complain about. Bottom line is this hotel is a resort. Just like any resort, you have resort like food, resort like prices, and resort fees. We ate at the restaurants and yes, they're pricey - you are at a resort, but they were good!! The resort is beautiful and the grounds are gorgeous. We have some of the most beautiful wedding pictures thanks to the setting.

My family is from Puerto Rico and I have stayed at a number of hotels in Puerto Rico (El Conquistador, El San Juan Hotel, La Concha, The Water Club, and Wyndham Rio Mar) this hotel is just on par, if not better than some of the others I have listed. I honestly don't understand why people complain about the distance from San Juan, etc. Do you not look at a map when you travel? Puerto Rico is a big island with lots to see, but a lot of these sites are spaced out throughout the island. If you want to go to PR and don't want to rent a car, then stay in Isla Verde, Condado or Old San Juan. Hotels in any other area are not for you.

My biggest concern with having our wedding at the Melia was that our guests enjoyed their stay! We had a big destination wedding of 140 people. I knew that with that amount of people there was no way that everyone was going to be pleased. Something was bound to happen to someone and I wouldn't be able to control it. Overall, everyone had great experiences! A few of our guests arrived the day before us and by the time we got there they were already in heaven. Half of them were on first name basis with the staff and super friendly with their butlers (for those who had Red Level service). I couldn't have been happier. We chose a Red Level ocean front room for our wedding weekend (as did some of our guests) and it was the best decision we made! The beds were AMAZING!!! I'm not sure about the rooms that had sheets half on the bed and half off, but in the ocean front rooms, it was not like that. I've never slept in such a comfortable bed! It is true that the resort does not replenish the towels every day, but there is a sign in the bathroom stating that they don't in order to conserve energy, water, etc. Whenever, we wanted more towels or items, they brought them to us. Whenever we asked for something, it was granted! I personally didn't see our "butler" that often, but we were so busy running around and spent most of our time hanging out with family and friends at the pool that we didn't really need him. Other guests however were "buddy buddy" with the staff and had nothing but positive things to say. I know that a few people had issues with check in and check out, but overall we got positive feedback about the hotel. I'm sure most people would choose not to burden the bride with negative comments, but having stayed there myself on different occasions, I can trust that when people say they loved it, they truly did!

The beach is rocky, and is not really a swimming beach but the main attraction at this hotel is the pool. It is so wonderful! The in pool loungers are perfect!! However, the beach makes for gorgeous pictures and the sunset is just beautiful! Our guests weren't even eating their dinner the night of our wedding because they were all too busy taking pictures of the sunset! It was breathtaking! We heard over and over that our wedding was the best wedding they'd been to and that the hotel was gorgeous.

I've learned that some people will complain about anything just to complain. So bottom line, this hotel is beautiful, but I would not pay full price for it. Try to get a deal, and try to get a deal with Red Level, because we loooved the Ocean Front room and the hot tub on the balcony. If you are going to stay here, rent a car so you can get around and aren't forced to eat all of your meals at the hotel since the food is pricey and definitely try to get a deal with Red Level, it made our experience that much better!!

Room Tip: If you can budget for it, upgrade to Red Level Ocean Front!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Copamarina Beach Resort & Spa, BW Premier Collection

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!