New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico

Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“This is a max. 2 star resort and not a 4 or 5 star!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Since the hotel is affiliated with the Trump International golf course we thought we would be staying in a good place but our bad experience started at the airport where the shuttle the hotel arranged (through a sub-contractor) was not a pick up for us but a bus for many. We were supposed to wait more than 30 minutes for other people and pay $37.50 per person. Taxis, readily available and spacious cost $69 for both of us. When we arrived the check-in took a long time and our suite was not available until after 5pm. We tried to eat something while we waited for our room and got a Caesar salad with dressing coming in a plastic pouch. My wife tried to arrange a quick treatment at the spa but the earliest an appointment was available for 2 days later, although we were staying in their high end "Red Level" Suite which was supposed to have priority. The pool and outside facilities were not as clean and maintained as we would have expected from - what they call themselves - a 5 star resort, so we checked out before we checked in and went to the St. Regis nearby. Of course more expensive but worthwhile the move. I would highly recommend everybody NOT to go to the Gran Melia.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Uli W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,244)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a long weekend. We bid on priceline and got a very nice room for $80 a night. The property was beautiful, staff was helpful, and pool was great. However at checkout we did get charged a $12/night resort fee which was not expected. Apparently priceline is the only company who does not include this (according to the hotel staff). Our stay was better since I had read alot of reviews before going and knew some pitfalls to avoid. For example, we rented a car from Avis so we could park for free in the Avis lot. We bought instant oatmeal to make for breakfast in order to avoid the $25 (!!!!) breakfast buffet. We were looking for an economical break in a nice facility and this was a great choice for us. The location was close to El Yunque, Fajardo, and the ferry to Culebra. As long as you have a car, it is a good choice.

Room Tip: Our room was great and very well cleaned every day.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Maisycyril
Atlanta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

First of all, the distance from the airport was greatly exaggerated. We rented a car and seemed like it took no more than 25-30 minutes to get there. Extremely easy drive. Don't worry about the crazy drivers, you'll never encounter them because the main highway from the airport takes you right out of San Juan onto Rio Grande. Even with parking ($16/day) you can still come out ahead once you factor in the cost of round trip airport transfers.

After reading reviews I was worried about the check in process, but it was a breeze. We were shuttled to our rooms via golf cart, which was cool. If you can, ask to be in bungalow #15; you are close to the pool, ice machine, spa, beach and parking lot. I booked for $80/night on Priceline, so we got the bare bones room, but it was more than adequate in space.

As I mentioned earlier, there were quite a few problems that we encountered. First, the ice machine was not working the first night, when I called I was told to call room service, and request cups of ice. Of course, room service is not free, so I have to pay because YOUR machine is out of ice? There is a pullout sofa bed, but the sofa did not smell too great, I wouldn't even sit on it during our stay. The internet charge is $14.95/day, and that is only for wired internet; only one connected device at a time which is a huge inconvenience since my wife in school and I also wanted to access the internet as well.

When we went to get towels for the pool we were asked for towel cards??? Apparently at check in no one bothered to tell us that we would need these cards if we wanted to use towels, so we had to walk back to the front desk to get cards, then back to the towel hut...

For some reason we were never given washcloths; housekeeping would clean the room, replace hand & body towels, but never replaced the washcloths. It got old having to call every day to have some brought up to our room. How is this not part of the normal housekeeping routine? Bed linens were the worst I have ever seen. Admittedly, it was news to me that hotels do not use fitted sheets, (wife had to clue me in to this) because this was the first time that I have experienced sheets coming halfway off the mattress every night. I hated that. Perhaps they need to use larger flat sheets or just do a better job of tucking them like they do at other hotels.

They have a convenience store near the front lobby that we used the first night we were there and just had a sandwich. 45 minutes later my wife sent me back to store for feminine products she forgot at home so I got there at about 10:48 PM. No problem, since they are open until 11:00, right? So I open the door only to have a guy (who did not appear to work there and was not there when we had made our previous purchase) pull the door shut, saying that they were closed. I then looked at the posted hours to confirm that they should have been open, and he just continued to rudely say WE'RE CLOSED! The two ladies working there just stood and watched. I don't think that I have ever had that happen to me before, not even here in the states. Definitely put a bad taste in my mouth for the remainder of the stay.

We never ate on property, the high prices were to be expected; as you have no other options unless you have a car or are willing to pay taxi fare for meals. I did think that the property was beautiful, but I find the "resort" designation to be a stretch, at best. The $15 per day resort fee will be added onto your bill upon checkout, but I found activities to be pretty much non-existent.

On to more good stuff...Renting a car was the best decision I could have made. We were able to venture out and have some great meals! We went to La Familia Bakery 2 pretty much every day for breakfast. The Luquillo quiosks were close, we ate there once at La Parilla. Also El Verde BBQ was great! We also were able to drive into El Yunque Rain Forest Park without having to pay for a guided tour. Taking our time and being able to explore the park at our leisure was awesome!

Back to the resort; we all enjoyed the pools, and views from the beach were great. We did get tons of great photos of iguanas, hermit crabs and various birds. The guys running the shuttles were great about giving us rides to and from the parking lot, but we were so close that sometimes we just walked. We had the 8 month old with us, so it was definitely appreciated.

All in all, we still had a great time. Having the car was a lifesaver, had we been confined to the resort it could have been the worst trip ever. If I could, I would probably rate this property 3.5 stars, but there were just too many issues for me to give it four so three it is. If you can get this property on a deal, go for it. Otherwise it just is not worth paying anything north of $100 nightly in my opinion.

Room Tip: Bungalow 15 is a short walk to pretty much everything.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank tamuco99
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stay at Red Level it was fantastic Pedro from level his check inn was amazing I got a first class treatment and also Tony Mayordomo from red level excellent. Ate at Tempo restaurant definetely a 5 star rest excellent quality food, only problem was the waiting, I was scheduled for 8 pm and was call in at 8:50 pm after asking what was wrong. The spa YHI went to check on hotel courtesy hours usage monday through wedsday and front desk employee did not took the time to explained the spa she was more interested in finishing the conversation with the other employee than talking to us about the spa. Other than those minor incidents the treatment was overwellming the staff very friendly. Will go back again next month love the place.

• Stayed November 2012
Kent, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We were here for a wedding also and this was the hotel that the wedding party had picked. We stayed in a junior suite with a king bed. We didn't like the fact that we had to be shuttled to our room upon arriving, we are adults we can carry our own luggage. The housekeeping is literally HORRIBLE. Every day we were there we had to call and request towels, bath mat, coffee etc. We were there for 6 nights it got a little tiresome, you would think after 2 or 3 nights requesting the same thing over and over they would bring them automatically. Once day we didn't even get any toilitries (soap, shampoo etc). The bed itself was quite comfy however every other night it was like we were short sheeted we could always feel the mattress with our toes. The remote that came with our TV didn't work so I just assumed that it was the batteries so I called and they did change them but it still didn't work we had to use the TV the old fashioned way. When I was in other rooms they had a totally different remote. I did not like the fact that when ever we needed housekeeping we had to call "red glove" and sit and wait for them. One time they didn't deliver and fortunately for us "red glove" called and asked if we had received the items. Others that were in our party also experienced lackluster housekeeping, they too had to call everyday. The thing that really irritated me was that in the group rate we were being charged the housekeeping tips were included. Hey why do anything when you are getting tipped, right?

The room itself was large and for the most part pretty clean. We did not smell any of the mustiness that we thought we would smell. The air conditioner and fan were both running when we got to the room. One night there was a rain storm and we had quite a bit of water on our porch, there was no drainage. There was no refrigerator or microwave so we had to eat all of the food we were served and couldn't bring any back to the room. The ice machines are quite a walk away if you are lucky enough to get ice. There was an ironing board, iron and safe in the room also.

The main pool was OK. Just make sure you are there early enough to snag a chair or two, or you can wait til later on in the day when most have left to snag a seat. I did not try the swim up bar as I didn't want to pay the price for a drink. Was hoping to use the whirlpools in the pool but I was told they were "broken". You have to have either a towel or the card with you when you check out or you are charged $35. This is the only pool that was open 24 hours all other amenities closed around 6pm.

The restaurants were expensive and not always open. The Martini bar was the only place that was good in our opinion. It was pouring out and we had called for a golf cart to take us to the restaurant as our bungalow was quite aways away. They told us to wait on the sidewalk for the cart. Ummmmm duh that is why I called for you so we didn't get soaked. Everytime we heard a cart we ran out there but they were only maintanence carts or already full so we ended up running and getting drenched after waiting 15 minutes for someone to come and get us. When we arrived at the Martini bar I made the comment about how the service at this place sucks and the bartender gave me a sad face. I apologized to her and said not you. She was kind and suggested a drink which I drank but still didn't like paying the $13 price tag. The breakfast buffet was good but make sure you sign up for MAS Rewards so you can get breakfast for 1/2 price.

We had rented a car which was cheaper than the shuttle they were charging even with the $16 a day parking charge. We we were free to come and go. Over the weekend parking was quite tight.

Beware of the cats that roam the property before you know it they will sneak in behind you and they will be in your room. The iguanas that roam the property were cute. The property itself was beautiful.

When we checked out I noticed 2 charges from the same restaurant on the same day and questioned that. The check out lady did some research and found out we were being charged for someone else's bill. She immediately took that off and printed us another bill. I am glad they are supporting a charity but they charged us for UNICEF I think it was. It would have been nice to give us the option.

All in all because of the lack of service we more that likely not go back nor will we recommend this resort. Maybe red level is better but we will not be finding out.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Decemberborn
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I recently stayed here at red level area. First of all I purchase a Red Level / area and received a regular room. During the day I ask different people about the Red Level area and they said that the room i was assigned was nOt red level room/area. So I Call to front desk and spoke to the manager and finally got the right room.Next day i got some reservations for the Tempo restaurant at 9:15 pm got there at 8:45 sat and ordered got my food around 10:45 pm. I ordered some Texas ribs with baked potato. When i tasted the ribs were good but the baked potato was hard like a rock!! So i spoke to my waitress and he took it back to get me a nice and fully cooked potato that i never received while i kept eating the ribs. So me and my family finished eating and asked the waitress for the check and he gave me a 10 % discount cause i never got the baked potato i ordered withch was something i not wanted or expected cause i really wanted some good ribs and baked potato. Also really boring place no clubs,the beach sucks and no music / dj or club ,casino. Really sucks to give this review since im puertorican but this is the service u get.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Kalond
Brockton, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Gran Melia, Puerto Rico, is a beautiful spot with ocean front property and beach. We were very pleased with our Junior Suite, which is the standard room! It looks EXACTLY like what is on-line! Room was large with small refrigerator and coffee maker, iron and board (for those who iron on vacation!) Our suite had two double beds with extra adjoining small room with sofa, table & chairs, and a balcony overlooking the gardens. It was VERY comfortable! Property is fabulous with bungalows, instead of a high-rise hotel. Property is wonderfully laid out with a paved road going around the units, and then you can walk the beach, which is palm-tree lined! For those who are not able to walk, or choose not to, there are continually running 8-passenger golf carts to take you to your bungalow, lobby, pool, etc. The lobby and grounds around lobby and restaurants are gorgeous with a sea breeze and sounds of the native COQUI at night. Large pool has free form shape which allows for sections with little islands in the middle. You can also belly-up to the in-pool stools at the Bar & Grill and have lunch and/or a wonderful frozen drink made by Pedro! Employees are very friendly and helpful!
Pasion, Puerto Rican Restaurant on property is great! We do not recommend Tempo, the Italian Restaurant.
We will definitely go to this resort again! We recommend this!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!