“Excellent”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

I just stayed for 3 nights and it was awesome. I booked a suite with two Jacuzzi, one in the bathroom and the other one in the balcony with an excellent view to the pool and beach. Also it has two LCD-TVs, fully equipped kitchen, radio with iPod adapter, two toilet rooms, walk-in shower, great a/c, etc. This suite you can find it in the club area. Also I booked an appointment to the spa, the experience was relaxing and very comfortable!

Room Tip: Rooms in the club area are better, it has suites with Jacuzzi in the balcony. Unique experience!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank xaviermartinez5106

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,387)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

We've been home two weeks and I MISS IT THERE!!!! What a beautiful experience my husband and I had. EVERY single person there made us feel like royalty. We were on the Red Level. Gustavo Delgado, Ruben Llanos, Miguel Ruiz and our butler Elijuel we're ABSOLUTELY wonderful. Incredibly polite and considerate men who made our experience even more fantastic. They went out of their way to do for us, something we have never encountered in a resort like this. We have every intention of coming back. Thank you Gentlemen and Gran Melia for a beautiful 2nd honeymoon

Room Tip: Ocean view is a MUST!!!!
2 Thank Sonia V
McKinney, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband and I spent our first anniversary in this amazing resort. The staff, room, resort, view, everything was nothing less that perfect. If you consider staying here, may I strongly suggest that you opt for red-level. it's totally worth it! Eli ( the butler) is an amazing person who made us feel right at home, everyone should be so lucky to meet him. Bill, a massage therapist has ruined me for any other massage available here in Texas. Can't wait to go back. They spoiled us so much we're going back in January.

Room Tip: Ocean front with the jacuzzi tub (red level). Need I say more?
1 Thank Carrie M
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I am currently at the Gran Melia in Puerto and am surprised by what I have found. The grounds are lovely as is the beach. The lobby area is quite spectacular actually, the roo,s lovely. However, this is a quiet isolated resort snuggled on a beautiful spit of land an hour of so east of San Juan. We chose this resort because we were looking for a quiet, relaxing few days. However, this is not a resort for those seeking quiet. The weekend is a mob scene. The resort is open to locals, which is fine. It's just that it's mobbed and loud. The pool is extremely crowded and people are actually eating food along the sides. It's popular with families, therefore, the noise from kids is everywhere. The beautiful beach recliners pictured on the website are fine except that you are surrounded by loud visitors. This morning I spent my time in a beautiful open air lounge filled with gorgeous furniture. It was quite enjoyable until loud rap music began to play. I asked ithe bartender if the music could be changed but she was quite clear that it could not be changed but possibly turned down. After speaking with the manager, she the finally agreed to change to different music, hesitantly. She confirmed for me that this resort was open to everyone, not just the residents, and that this was the policy of the hotel, including the loud music. It is not a resort if you are looking for quiet. I am so sorry to report this as it is a lovely spot.

Room Tip: Look for a second floor bungalow as close to amenities as possible, otherwise you have a real hike t...
5 Thank Gia P
Merrick, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

This property should not be listed as beach front as there is no beach to swim in. We learned that the so-called beach was originally somewhat of a swamp. Although it appears that an attempt was made to clean it up, it definately does not qualify as a beach. As far as restaurants go, there are three listed but one of them was closed during our entire stay. Everyone in the lobby (including my husband and I) appeared bored in the evening because entertainment was non-existent. The property is also out of the way and a cab will cost you $45 one way to get into town.

2 Thank Joanne S
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We went on our honeymoon to gran Melia in puerto rico. I wouldn't want to take kids there, but for couples, this place is amazing. I don't understand any negative reviews people would write for this place. Don't listen to them!! It is an absolute MUST that you have a red level room. If you do, you have what they call "butlers". They basically wait on you hand and foot. Tony, Eli, and Joshua are the best. They went out of their way to make sure we had anything we wanted and more. If we asked them for something, we got that plus so much more. We didn't have to lift a finger. As soon as we got there, Eli spent about a half hour giving us a tour of the resort. I was so impressed. We spent a lot of time at the red level pool (which is quiet and only for red level guests), and an employee named Ruben Llanos made sure that every day we had whatever we wanted. He was amazing. It felt like they do this out if the kindness of their hearts...that they enjoy their jobs. I've never stayed at a resort feeling like I'm leaving having made friends. And I've stayed at Ritz Carltons and Four Seasons all over the world. What a wonderful experience. Louie D. and Rachel P. from Shavertown, PA.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Ldomiano
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

My wife and I do not get the opportunity to travel often, it’s very rare. We wanted to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary on a beautiful beach in Puerto Rico; unfortunately we picked the Gran Melia. The posting on Cheap Caribbean boasted a beach resort; I am still looking for it! There is no swimmable, pristine, turquoise beach there. Needless to say we were Very disappointed, again considering the fact that we don’t travel often. Aside from the beach, the grounds are kept very nice. The pools are nice; the Red Level pool is very quiet. If you are looking for a Casino and entertainment, there is none at the Gran Melia. They have three restaurants; while we were there one was closed. I would recommend, if you decide to vacation here, to upgrade to the Red Level it will help fight the boredom. We had no issues with the staff they were all very accommodating. I have been to Puerto Rico several times and love it there, but would I ever go back to the Gran Melia? Definitely not!.

5 Thank Frank S
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,629 reviews
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!