“Spectacular service”

Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
“Spectacular service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We went on our honeymoon to gran Melia in puerto rico. I wouldn't want to take kids there, but for couples, this place is amazing. I don't understand any negative reviews people would write for this place. Don't listen to them!! It is an absolute MUST that you have a red level room. If you do, you have what they call "butlers". They basically wait on you hand and foot. Tony, Eli, and Joshua are the best. They went out of their way to make sure we had anything we wanted and more. If we asked them for something, we got that plus so much more. We didn't have to lift a finger. As soon as we got there, Eli spent about a half hour giving us a tour of the resort. I was so impressed. We spent a lot of time at the red level pool (which is quiet and only for red level guests), and an employee named Ruben Llanos made sure that every day we had whatever we wanted. He was amazing. It felt like they do this out if the kindness of their hearts...that they enjoy their jobs. I've never stayed at a resort feeling like I'm leaving having made friends. And I've stayed at Ritz Carltons and Four Seasons all over the world. What a wonderful experience. Louie D. and Rachel P. from Shavertown, PA.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Ldomiano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,396)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

My wife and I do not get the opportunity to travel often, it’s very rare. We wanted to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary on a beautiful beach in Puerto Rico; unfortunately we picked the Gran Melia. The posting on Cheap Caribbean boasted a beach resort; I am still looking for it! There is no swimmable, pristine, turquoise beach there. Needless to say we were Very disappointed, again considering the fact that we don’t travel often. Aside from the beach, the grounds are kept very nice. The pools are nice; the Red Level pool is very quiet. If you are looking for a Casino and entertainment, there is none at the Gran Melia. They have three restaurants; while we were there one was closed. I would recommend, if you decide to vacation here, to upgrade to the Red Level it will help fight the boredom. We had no issues with the staff they were all very accommodating. I have been to Puerto Rico several times and love it there, but would I ever go back to the Gran Melia? Definitely not!.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Frank S
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

if you're looking for some mega high-rise hotel with endless number of rooms lining narrow hallways in every direction, the gran melia is NOT your place. if you expect to run into groups of guests crowding the elevators or blocking a hallway or some entrance to an exit, go somewhere else. if you like to get annoyed by other hotel guests because you can see everything they do next door or across the some 10th floor balcony, go somewhere else.

the gran melia is no 5 star hotel or high end resort, but for the right price and right attitude, it's great! we got a really sweet deal through priceline for under $100 per night. car rental was under $60 for 4 days and parking fee is much lower than other similar hotels in area. food; never a fan of eating generally bad and overpriced hotel food anyway, so why spend the money, and then complain? why come to puerto rico if you're not gonna try the great local restaurants food kiosks, which are within 15 min. drive?

loved the gran melia resort because of it's open air layout, lots of actual physical space between buildings, guest suites, and yes, space between guests, and other people! even with lots of guests, you don't feel like you need to fight for own space, for a little bit of vacation privacy. the resort grounds are well kept with lush green lawn, meandering pathways to buildings, pool area, beach, and bungalows. you can take a nice stroll or simply flag down a golf cart to any place on the resort.

sure there are basic expectations, but with an attitude that people must serve you and meet your every need at every turn, as if you're in some 5 star exclusive club resort, just isn't realistic and you're just asking for disappointment. people are generally very friendly. we initially got a room that was not cleaned very well and had a strong musty odor. we called and they switched us to a different one right away. other than that, our 4 night stay was great. enjoyed the 24-hour pool into the late evening after long days out and about. other hotels usually closed down pools by 9 or 10. no problems getting extra towels. no problems calling front desk and getting picked up by golf cart anytime of the day. enjoyed taking naps under the shades of palm trees by the beach, and walking around the hardly used, nearly empty, 180-degree wrapped around beach of the resort location.

i guess some people go half way across the country, or around the world on a "vacation" only to simply stay at the hotel and enjoy all the hotel amenities all day long..? but really, it's good to be at a nice hotel, enjoy a few of the things they offer, but i'm not going to spend much time, or money, at the hotel!

gonna keep coming to the gran melia if priceline or other discount travel sites keeps having these awesome deals in these off seasons!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sam j
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

I went on a vacation with my husband and my daugther for the first time, just 3 days and 2 nights. The girl who greeted us a front desk, i think her name was Ashley.. Well I believe she was one of the few nice employees there. She was very happy while looking for our reservation and explained everything very well (restaurant location and hours, spa, gym etc...). Well we got to our room and it was big but the smell wasnt that pleasant, my hubby even said it smelled like a funeral home, he couldnt take it. After i left the hotel, i was told not all rooms have flat screen tvs.. So watch out for those big old ones because they dont look all that good and the menu wouldnt work. I have a 2 year old and I needed plastic bowls or plates, to have some cereal w milk and I called the operator to ask for one and she said they couldt bring any unless I ordered something from Room Service.. I was in shock since in Other hotels they bring you these simple things for free.

What I did like was the bed ... It was super comfortable, I wanted to take it home with meee, and the pool is huge... Best part is... Its open 24 hours, so you can go anytime! The rooms are type villas.. So you have to walk a lot from your room to wherever you wanna go in the resort, but they have people in golf carts passing through every 5 to 10 mins, so they can take you where you need to go.. So that is really good and well thought.

And last but not least, what shocked me the most and got me really upset with my stay... They have such a beautiful feel and decoration in this hotel, is like so romanticm private, beautiful and just like a dream... Near the lobby they have a LOT of Koi Fish.. Ones that are very big,and ones that are small but they are amazing and fabulous addition to the hotel.. They also have a sign there that says "Do not feed the Koi Fish, they have a diet of their own.. Instead join us at 11am and 3pm to feed them" i thought this was something great for my 2yrs old to do (or for any other kid), so before going to the pool we sat there at the lobby to wait for them to come feed the fish. There were other ppl checking in and they had like 2 or 3 young girls, from 6 yrs and up. We saw the public areas lady with some other woman dressed all black, I seen she was close to the pond and she grabbed a plastic cup and I seen what,she,had in it and i thought it was the fish food cuz it looked like it but when she noticed i was looking at her she put it back,and left to the other side, (i didnt know it was really her to do the feeding to the fish at the moment) so me and my husband got tired of waiting and we left with our daughter to the pool, and on our way there we see this woman on the other side feeding the fish with exactly the same cup I seen her with. I got furious because she seen little kids and didnt even approach us to see if they wanted to do it. She wasnt costumer service oriented, she even left her cellphone in one of the statues they have there after feeding the fish. I took the phone and I told her she left it and she didnt even say "thank you", and to be done with this review.. At our checkout when we were done, they gave us a paper of what we have paid and the front desk agent was a man I dont remember his,name but he,just gave the paper to us,and said "thats all" he,didnt even say "thank you for vistin us, hope you enjoyed your stay and come back soon". Its a great resort dont get me wrong, but I expected a whole lot more.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank Adrianna2009
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

the hotel was very nice, though showing its age a bit. The beach had a fabulous view, though it was really a small strip and the sand was rough. It was private. The pools had the feel of a club med resort and were a bit loud and crowded (we just stayed at the beach, which frankly was much nicer). The rooms were large and generally nice, though the tables/chairs were clearly aging (scratches, one chair was wobbly, generally showing wear and tear). We got the rooms on hotwire for $110 a night, and at that price, this place was a deal. Had we paid high season rates (250-300) I would have been irritated and felt that it was not worth the price, but again, for 110, it was great (lower expectations). Big downside were the restaurants. They were outrageously overpriced for mediocre food. We ate at the poolside bar a few times ($18 for a salad with some chicken, really??) was acceptable, but pricey. The italian restaurant was really pricey ($100 for two with no booze) and coming from san francisco, where that would buy an amazing meal, we were really let down. You can drive in to town, but there's not much close by, there is a grocery store, and you can buy stuff there for your room, but without a fridge, you'll have to try and ice it. don't pay anymore than 150 a night and you'll be happy... pay more, and you'll feel like it's overpriced...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have to say that our stay in the hotel was great! The room was very clean and I have no complaints in regards the service. Employees are very nice and helpful. The pools are great, and every place of the hotel is just beautiful!. The breakfast buffet is really nice- We had an awsome relaxing time!!! We will come back for sure!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank R A
Manquin, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

This was suppose to be a romantic long weekend get away. We were missed lead about the services we were expecting by staying in the "RED LEVEL". We were not expecting a Heinekin Fantasy Fest. being there the weekend of 8/18/12. The place was trashed. Divers in the pool the next day getting the trash and debris out so it was closed most of the day. The afternoon cocktails in the RED LEVEL lounge was a beer, wine, and if any left horrible little ?meat pies. Only one resturant was open on Sunday evening, food was so so. Make sure you understand that with "RED LEVEL" you only get reservations to and from airport. You are charged by Firefly for your ride $144.00 per person to have a van pick you up and take you back to airport. I never saw a "butler" or had anybody check on us. Shower had issues, the wand was broken, front desk was notified but was still laying in bottom of tub when we on the 21st of Aug. We did complain to management and was given $100.00 credit. Not much of a incentive for us to be "happy" that we chose to stay at the Grand Melia. Gus the bartender was the only we had to thank for his service. Friendly,great guy!alsnapa@verizon.net

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
The Condado Plaza Hilton
#24 of 46 in San Juan
3.5 of 5 bubbles 4,635 reviews
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!