“Location , price and friendly staff”
Review of Melia Coco Beach

Melia Coco Beach
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Reviewed January 20, 2012

I travel to Puerto Rico at least three times a year. this a great location if you like to get out and see the east of the island. Just minutes from the rain forest and not very far from Luquillo and Fajardo. I found rooms much cheaper than San Juan. We dont do all inclusive because we get out and do the local cuisine. The people that work here are very friendly. The grounds are very nice and you dont have to stay in the most expensive room. The garden rooms are very nice. The large iguanas running around the property are very cool. You have to pay to park your rental vehicle so be aware. The casino is small but a lot of fun. Small limits on the table games makes it affordable. If you like to be outdoors this is the place.

Room Tip: The cheaper rooms are just fine.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank bearcat24
Mariana R, E-Guest Experience Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2012

Dear bearcar24,

Thank you very much for choosing our resort to spend your last vacations with us, and as well for the time you took on sending your review.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed the hotel, it is our goal to make sure your stay was graded 10. We really appreciate the time you took to write to us.

Looking forward to welcome you again at Gran Melia Puerto Rico,

Regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (6,544)

Reviewed January 19, 2012

This is a beautiful resort. Rooms are adequetly maintained and comfortable. They need some work on internet access and television reception. When I stay at an all inclusive, I expect a reasonalble defination of "all". Do your homework here. Drinks are free with your meals, but when you are not having a meal, they are quite expensive. I think vodka and tonics were $9 each plus tax. Bellman tips and maid tips are added to your bill. I didn't expect this and tipped the bellmen as services were rendered. I also was charged a maid tip for a day when my room was skipped. Food at the poolside restaurant was very slow. Allow plenty of time there. Restaurants filled up fast for dinners, so plan ahead.

The best part was the sun. Got to relax several hours in the sun. Just what I needed.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Chris E
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I am an event coordinator for my company and we just got back from a 5 day stay at this resort. We had 50 people in our group and everyone was very impressed with this resort! From my guests point of view the resort grounds were supurb! They were all talking about how beautiful everything was, even the bathrooms! The staff for the most part were very helpful to my guests. The ones that i am referring to are the wait-staff at the resort - NOT the managers. The managers were AMAZINGLY helpful. I have done many events, and it is only as good as the onsite hotel staff. Well, the managers at the Gran Melia have out done themselves! Extrememly friendly and helpful. Always smiling and being the first to say hi to me and all my guests.
The only negatives about this resort is the fact that they only have 2 place to eat dinner. If you are stayin gthere for 4-5 days it can get pretty old fast! Their lunch options are limited as well. No snacks. It is also very far from downtown, but i knew that going into this trip.
Overall this is a wonderful resort and i would love to bring my family here.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Jules W
Mariana R, E-Guest Experience Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2012

Dear Jules W,

Thank you very much for your great review and your comments regarding all the staff at our resort.
We are happy to know that you and all your group had a great experience at the Hotel. It was our goal to make sure you all enjoyed the hotel and received what you were expecting for.

We will share this comments with all our staff, in order to encourage ourselves to keep on with the same enthusiasm to make our guests feel like home.

Hoping to welcome you again at our Resort,

Reviewed January 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for our honeymoon in December 2011. We were RedLevel guests and enjoyed the complimentary offerings. I give the hotel mostly a high rating for several reasons:
- Cleanliness
- Beautiful common areas and grounds
- Good food - specifically the Asian fusion restaurant and the pool grill
- Friendly staff

On the other hand, there were other features about the hotel I didn't like as much.
- I felt there was too much LCD screen advertising throughout the hotel lobby and grounds. Of course these were all featuring the hotel itself or it's other locations, but as someone who was vacationing I found it to be an eye sore. Also, I live and work near Times Square in NYC, so flashy advertisements while on vacation doesn't appeal to me very much. It took away from feeling fully relaxed in my opinion.
- NO BEACH. I was VERY disappointed in the beach (or lack thereof). As others have posted, it is mostly rocky and very shallow in distance at many points. When we arrived for check-in, it was already very dark by the time we got to our ocean front room. Excited to see the beach the next morning, before breakfast we went down to explore it. We were SO disappointed! With the ocean on 3 quarters of the resort, is it too much to ask for a REAL beach?? If this is a must-have at your hotel choice, do not come to this hotel!
-The hotel is pretty far away. We rented a car from the airport just for the needs of our itinerary. Little did we know, if you ever want to leave the Gran Melia, a car is a must! While it is close to the rain forest, we found it very far from the other points on the island we visited. Having a car, we tried not to let this bother us, but it's quite a drive even to the nearest highway. On late nights in other parts of the island, we found it cumbersome to make the drive back to Gran Melia. We made several visits to Old San Juan which averaged 40-45min.

In the end, we enjoyed our stay and the hotel was very nice. I think however I would only return with my parents, not as just a couple.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MissJetNY
Mariana R, E- Guest Experience Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

Dear MissJetNyc,

Thank you very much for your great review. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. At Gran Melia Puerto Rico we are focused and commited to satisfy and exceed our guests expectations.

We really appreciate the time you took on making this comment for us, this ones helps us to improve our service and our guest experience.

We are hoping to welcome you again at Gran Melia Puerto Rico,

Reviewed January 17, 2012

This is not an all inclusive in Jamaica or Cancun. Manage your expectations accordingly. If you are expecting an all inclusive you will be disappointed. Rent a car. The Concierge, Jesus, was extremely helpful and they had printed directions and maps to everywhere we wanted to go. You will be able to take trips to El Yunque, or the Bio Bay, or Old San Juan safely and at your leisure. Call the Bio Bay tours and make your own reservations.

This is a solid resort with very nice amenities. We stayed for four nights. Service was on island time outside at the pool lunch area, but very responsive in the restaurants. The casino could've used an extra dealer - but I wasn't expecting Vegas.

The pool was wonderful and I never had trouble finding a lounge chair on the beach.

Room Tip: Don't bother with whatever the "Red Level" was - I didn't need it or miss it. The...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank FPiers

Dear FPier,

Thanks for choosing our resort to spend your last vacations with us, and as well thank you for the review, your opinion is very important for us as it helps us to improve day by day.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed the hotel, it is our goal to make sure your stay was graded 10. Looking forward to welcome you again at Gran Melia Puerto Rico,

Best Regards,

Reviewed January 16, 2012

Our visit to Gran Melia was terrific. The place is beautiful, quite spread out but still easy to walk everywhere and it never felt crowded. The Red Level upgrade was the way to go - nice to have a VIP lounge, internet , breakfast comped, happy hour each day, bottled water and nice, helpful people. All the resort staff was friendly and accommodating.

The golf at the Trump Course was fantastic - great course, beautiful views and worth the $. Played the last nine with 2 local guys who made the experience even better. Even saw Chi Chi Rodriguez giving some kids a hitting clinic.

Would definitely return. Only major negative was/is the tennis courts or lack thereof. They are beat up, cracked cement basketball courts that try to double for tennis courts. Spend the money and get them RESURFACED with real hard court material, or take it off the website that you have tennis courts. They are an accident waiting to happen.

Otherwise, a great place to stay. ocean was fabulous and lots of pools to chose from.

Room Tip: spend the extra $20/nite on Red level as these are closet to ocean.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Mariana R, E-Guest Experience Manager at Melia Coco Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2012

Dear BessBG,

Thanks so much for your great review, we are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at our Resort. At Gran Melia Puerto Rico, we are focused on exceeding our guests' expectations and we are glad we did it.

As well, thank you for the comment, regarding the Tennis courts, we are definitely working on them to improve them, but also to improve our guest experience.

Once again thank you the time you took to write to us about your experience and we are looking forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed January 16, 2012

From the moment we arrived and faced a 50 minute wait in a line just to check in - we experienced horrible service. It was like the staff was unmanaged. After waiting 50 minutes to check in only to find out that our room was not ready at 5:30 in the evening - the front desk promised to call us when the room was ready. After eating dinner and checking back with the front desk at 7:30 - they told us the room was now ready - but no one had called us. The one place to eat breakfast the next day had a huge line so we had to each snacks at the gift shop. The restaurant service was horrible and included them bringing us our entres one at a time - but not bringing the side dishes until we complained.

The concierage desk gave us phone numbers and told us to call if we wanted to arrange something. The pool service was non-existent and your couldn't walk up to order lunch or drinks unless you swam up to the bar in the pool. In order to get a volleyball for the pool (there was only one) they activities desk told us to go find someone wearing a red shirt - which apparently made them invisible because they were nowhere to be found.

Our family has been all over the world and had never run into a more miss-labeled hotel. Do yourself a favor and stay away. Unless you like rooms that smell like mold - then this is your place.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
The Fajardo Inn
#3 of 4 in Fajardo
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Margaritaville Vacation Club Wyndham Rio Mar

Been to Melia Coco Beach? Share your experiences!