“very, umm, authentic”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I'm afraid this place was too authentic for me, but maybe it's just what someone else is looking for. It was crowded with local customers, buying at an almost shack-like restaurant. Fish dishes, "authentic" sausage, whole chickens that they'd hack up for you... I ate very cheap mofongo but it was too dry by itself. Authentic atmosphere if you want to blend in with the locals (or stand out, which I'm pretty sure I did).

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Stopped by here twice during our week in Rio Grande for take out meals. Ribs are excellent, as is the chicken - which you can buy by the half or whole bird. Most of the other options are sold by the pound. Also tried their chicken sausage, tostones, plantains, yuca, and of course the rice with pigeon peas which is a hit with the family.I had had plaintains before - a sweet if somewhat mushy version of the banana, I was pleasantly surprised at the yuca - we had it with garlic sauce - more like a version of our potatoes. We spent about $32 for a feast for a family of four and actually have an entire chicken leftover!

1  Thank kahlerohana
Reviewed June 30, 2014

It's off the side of the road and doesn't look like much, but the food is so good! Everything we ate was great.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

This is a must! Prices, reasonable. Chicken falls off the bones and the ribs are excellent. Drinks on point. Ate there every day.

1  Thank Debberra P
Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

After a long day of flying, we stopped here on the way to our rental house on a recommendation from the PR forum. We got a large to-go order and loved every bite. We had chicken and pork and ribs, plus rice. Everything was delicious! The staff, contrary to one reviewer, was very helpful even though we don't speak Spanish and we were able to figure out our options. Only bummer is that we didn't get to stop again!