Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Very nice and luxurious hotel”

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Beautiful rooms and grounds. Definitely a very comfortable place tot stay, with tasty food. However, the food and cocktail prices were over the top. $18 for a pina colada... +$4 for an extra shot. It helped that the restaurant servers (especially by the pool) are incredibly kind and hospitable.

I you want more privacy I'd recommend staying in a building away from 5 & 6, which are directly between the main lobby/restaurant building and the pool. It was nice though, to stroll out from your balcony directly to the pool and surrounding gardens. You can hear the waves, and incredible coqui noises, from your ocean front room, but I could hardly see the water. The bathrooms make it somewhat excusable to charge such high prices for an ocean front room that sits so far from the beach (building 5).

The hotel trails and sports equipment (kayaks, stand up paddle, bikes, etc) were a nice added amenity. All the employees where's incredibly helpful and courteous. I'd go back if I'm willing to spend that much on the hotel food. All in all a very nice place to stay, but you pay for it.

Room Tip: Check the map to see which building location suits what you're looking for. Some sit closer to t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
srbahiabeach, General Manager at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Distinguished Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us.

Rest assured your valuable feedback has been appropriately addressed.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home so that we may indulge you one again!

Reviewed November 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a wedding and thought the resort was great it is calm and immaculate. The service level in most areas was fantastic. However we did have an issue with our room. When we arrived there were small ants all over the nightstand and surrounding areas. After placing a call to management nothing was resolved. Long story short after a lot of follow up on our part things were finally taken care of. Overall this is an amazing resort but the level of follow up by management left something to be desired. I would expect more from such a nice resort. Overall I feel as I would still recommend this. I think our experience was unique.

1  Thank Matt P

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts regarding your recent stay at our distinctive resort.

We are pleased that you indulged in our well-orchestrated guest experience, and discovered that almost every aspect of our little paradise met your fulfillment. Rest assured that your valuable feedback has been appropriately addressed.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to your home away from home, the St. Regis Bahía beach, in the not too distant future.

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I'm not a big fan of PR, but I will def return after this vaca. It's a 30/40 min drive from San Juan, but worth it. I will say the beach water is not clear and was rough, but it had beautiful sea shells and was clean. Luquillo is not far and the beach is gorgeous. Everything else was excellent... Food, service, spa and property A+

• Stayed: October 2013
srbahiabeach, General Manager at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent visit to our magnificent resort.

We are thrilled that you so thoroughly enjoyed your time at our true nature sanctuary. Our staff is very passionate about creating the true St. Regis experience – a meaningful journey with hand-selected service.

We hope you visit us again soon, so that we may treat you and your family to another uncompromising vacation in our little slice of heaven.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I was a little nervous to stay here based on some of the other reviews but it was absolutely perfect. My husband and I were upgraded to a honeymoon suite upon check in and were also sent a complimentary bottle of champagne from Guillermo, the man who checked us in. Everywhere we went we usually received complimentary glasses of wine or champagne as a congratulation. Everything was so personalized and the service was outstanding. The food was delicious at all the restaurants and the property was gorgeous. It was very pricey, but we expected that. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

1  Thank Lyssa2486
srbahiabeach, General Manager at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Distinguished Guest,

Greetings from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent celebration at our resort.

Congratulations on your recent nuptials! We are honored that you chose the St. Regis Bahía Beach as the beginning of your life’s journey together.

We thank you again for the gift of feedback, and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming both of you back to celebrate your first year anniversary!!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I went here for our honeymoon. We told them ahead of time it was our honeymoon, so upon arrival we were informed they upgraded our room to a suite for free. Once our butler took us to our room, they had a bottle of champagne chilled with a hand written letter from the manager of the resort congratulating us. All of the staff were so friendly and helpful on suggesting activities to do. The complimentary bike, kayak & paddle boarding rentals were so much fun! All of the restaurants were delicious, especially Molasses, which had some traditional Puerto Rican cuisine. We planned on going to the Bio Bay & Rainforest, but couldn't pull ourselves away from this amazing piece of heaven! I would definitely recommend this resort and hope we can make it there again for our 1st anniversary!

1  Thank B K
srbahiabeach, General Manager at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at our resort.
Your brief and perfect description is precisely what we intend for every guest – absolute serenity combined with luxury, and wonderful cuisine. Perfect for a romantic getaway or a week of exploring and adventure on our beautiful island of Puerto Rico.

We hope to have the pleasure of indulging you once again, at the St. Regis Bahía Beach, the best address in the Caribbean.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

First, let's start by indicating that the earlier review by RTL212 (below) is spot-on. We apparently overlapped on property for the day they were there, but we did not meet (to my knowledge) and they had the good fortune of leaving the next day. We, on the other hand, had four more days to endure.

Our arrival started seemingly well. We were upgraded to a very nice oceanfront suite, but when we swept back the drapes we looked upon not oceanfront but a Hollywood cast and crew filming in front of our building. For awhile it was cute; then it was tedious; and finally it was annoying. The only good news is that the cables, klieg lights, reflectors, pizza boxes, and self-possessed people were gone the next day. Finally, our chance to settle in and enjoy a long-awaited off-the-grid escape.

Not.

To be fair, let's list the good first.

1. Great weather.
2. Nice pool.
3. We found the place in a rental car after only two missed attempts without a collision.

Okay, so much for the good. Here's the rest.

1. The physical plant. For a three-year old property, this resort looks 10-15 years old. I have posted pictures showing paint blistering, furniture with large gouges, peeled wallpaper, and slippery walkways overtaken by moss. I did not try to document the gouge in the TV screen, the jammed sliding doors, the bulbs blown out in public areas, cabinet doors that fell ajar, nor the overhead fan that failed mid-visit because it burned out. Not to mention the rips, splits, spills and stains that abound on furniture throughout the property. Being bored one day at the pool, I counted and estimated that one in five cushions was either stained and in need of repair. Unusable? no. Unsightly? yes.

2. Spotty and irregular hotel service. I suspect there is a turf battle over the scope of duty between the traditional concierge service, room service, and the oft-promoted St. Regis butler service. In fact, I dare anyone from management at this St. Regis to explain the differences on-line. Unless you want someone to unpack your bags (butler service) from that point forward you are left with great confusion regarding who to call for . . .anything. But there is one common thread among those services: long delays and unanswered calls. One evening when we tried to address a TV issue, we tried every button available. What we got was (a) put on hold; (b) disconnected; and (c) told there was nothing anyone could do. An hour later, maintenance proved it to be true.

3. Food. There are three restaurants on property, but after 6 pm only two (the pool restaurant closes). Not a big deal, until you realize that you really have no meaningful options off-premises. A ride into San Juan to dine is either a very expensive taxi ride or a very thrilling and challenging rental car ride. So one tends to stay on campus for food. Which should be okay. But it isn't. Fern and Molasses try very hard, and with some dishes they hit home runs (heirloom tomato salad, shrimp salad, and mussels at Fern; chicken and mofongo at Molasses) but with several others they strike out.

4. Uneven food service. The awards for best service go to (a) Mr. B at Molasses and (b) Joel at Fern. They both distinguished themselves as caring, thoughtful and intriguing people. Unfortunately we are talking about two of approximately 30-40 folks who we encountered every day. Most had they eyes down and their spirits in the same location.

5. The market. When we made our reservations some 2-3 months before arrival, we called to inquire about any groups scheduled to be on property. This is, after all, a 130+ room resort, so its size can easily be affected by its guests and we had previously learned to check. We wanted a couples retreat, and a resort 30 minutes east of San Juan and in the foothills of El Yunque National Forest sounded great. We were told there were no groups. A couple like us would be welcomed. Not to mention happy. Well, someone apparently forgot to tell us about (a) a destination wedding of some 75 who thought of this place as Spring Break (and unlimited beer); (b) a group of realtors; and (c) a group of advertising executives (did I also mention a film crew from Hollywood? I thought so). Couples? Forget it. We were relegated to far corners for the entire time of our stay.

6. There's more, but this is the petty. The beach is long and wide, but it is also unkempt and unswimmable. Other reviewers have noted the red and purple flags, both of which are frequent. Walkable, yes, but that's about it. The pool is the heart of this resort. When not overrun by wedding party Spring Breakers, that is.

Bottom line: This is a St. Regis in name only. Unless and until this property updates itself and the staff finds reason to have pride in their own efforts, it is just another beachfront hotel. Unless you're part of a Hollywood film crew. And if you are, please come back and clean up the pizza boxes.

8  Thank NH_Guy

Dear Distinguished Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts regarding your recent stay at our resort.

Although we are pleased with your wonderful comments regarding our magnificent, tropical surroundings, we truly apologize that your experience fell short of your expectations. The vast majority of our visitors are couples, and we have become world-renowned for delivering the most bespoke and romantic experiences for our guests. I regret not having the opportunity to personally assist you during your stay, so that we may have turned your perception around to a positive one.

Operating a vast and magnificent tropical oasis does pose a constant challenge, and most, if not all of the related issues you point out have already been taken care of. With that said, rest assured that your valuable feedback has been duly noted and appropriately addressed.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming both of you back in the near future, so that we may reverse your last impression and treat you to the truly flawless St. Regis experience you are accustomed to.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I were searching for a high end resort easily serviced by direct flight from the East Coast for a quick leisure getaway without kids. The St. Regis met many of our requirements and I would recommend it. The hotel is only a few years old, and has a modern/traditional aesthetic and decor. Beautiful, refreshing, not the "tired island" decor but more of an updated refreshed and neutral sensability. We got a fantastic AAA rate and used it on a standard room. We were pleasantly surprised with the size of the basic room. Very spacious, walk in closet, gorgeous bathroom with double console vanity, a tv behind the mirror, a lovely shower open-spaced "room" with rainshower head and a deep soaking tub. A little patio with sectional type sofa. We were fine with a garden view room (oceanfront was booked). Of all the places we have traveled througout the Caribbean, Hawaii, and US, I must say this St Regis delivered fabulous service. The ratio of staff seemed quite plentiful, which meant you never had to wait to get a door opened, question answered, need met. This is particularly evident by the pool -- usually getting beverage or food service at the poolside is the bane of our existence at Caribbean properties. Not so! The staff was completely attentive and gracious. Nearly every staff member we passed by had a gracious greeting (and neither cheesy nor forced). Needs were met, without being obtrusive. Wow! The service was really was quite remarkable. I don't know who is doing the training on guest service--but keep up the great work! The spa is beautiful and the treatment rooms were pretty. Only tiny complaint is how they billed the spa services (gratuity not included, but added service fee for "amenities and spa staff" which I thought was odd). Contrary to other recent reviews, we thought the vibe of the hotel was upscale and relaxing. This is not a mega hotel -- so I disagree that you would be swarmed with conventioneers (I think there may be only about 150 rooms or so?). There was a cackling group of Long Island women during our stay who I think were there for a sales reward thing, but it was only a handful of people and certainly didn't overpower the hotel. It was mostly couples and it was easy to relax. Only a few young kids--and I wouldn't necessarily recommend this property for families (too sleepy and isolated and the food issue, which is my next comment). Our ONLY issue with this property was the dining options. I should have realized that when you can get a fairly discounted rate for a luxurious property they will "get you" somewhere. That somewhere would be the dining options! Since we were going for a relaxing 3 night trip, we had no issue with staying on property and dining there exclusively. However, there are only 2 dinner options: Fern, the signature John Georges restaurant and Molasses, the restaurant by the golf course. Both very expensive, which we would not necessarily have cared about if they were excellent. Alas, not so. I thought the food at Molasses was mediocre at best (although the service was wonderful and attentive). The wine selections, particularly by the glass, were just plain poor. The Molasses dinner and drinks for two exceeded $200--which is way too much for a blah dinner. Our first dinner at Fern was very good -- we had the tasting menu--which was yummy--and with wine and gratuity the dinner was $400. Yikes! It was not as good as dinners we have had in that price range in other major US cities--but we were OK with it since it is an island resort. The tasting menu, however, seemed to feature the menu highlights. When faced with the option of dinner on our last night (and Molasses was a bust) we returned to Fern; however, other menu selections ranged from average to downright poor. Again, unacceptable for a $300 dinner. I think it would be a big improvement to open Seagrapes (the lunch/poolside restaurant) for breakfast or again for a more casual dinner (the lunch/pool food was quite good). Anyway, other than the limited dining options (and by the looks of downtown Rio Grande you do NOT want to be venturing out nearby) the resort was very good. The easy proximity to the East Coast, fabulous decor, truly wonderful service, and decent golf an spa amenities make this a nice choice. Please just fix the dining options and we'll be back!

Room Tip: The basic room was large and wonderful. Garden view isn't much too look at, if that matters.

Dear Distinguished Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at our captivating resort.

We are elated that you thoroughly enjoyed your vacation!

Rest assured, your valuable feedback has been shared with our team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rio Grande
W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island
#3 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
Margaritaville Vacation Club Wyndham Rio Mar
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico? Share your experiences!