We just spent a full week (last week in April) at the St Regis Bahia Beach in Rio Grande. We decided on this resort vs. the Ritz Carlton in Isla Verde and boy were we glad. First the property/grounds are absolutely beautfil. Unlike the crowded Miami Beach looking resorts in Isla Verde the St. Regis is in beaitful lush rain forest area of Rio Grande (about 15 minutes east of San Juan). The grounds are immaculate and designed to fit in with the nautral surroundings - birds, coqui frogs, lizards, and tropical plants are all around with the resort blending in nicely with the environment. Other hotels like the Ritz and Conquistador (in Fajardo) all lack the beauty and "integration with the surroundings" like the St. Regis.
Check was a breeze (a tropical drink while you check in sitting down is a nice touch) as is the Planation House where you get in. We stayed in a St. Regis Suite which is fabulous and quite large (1200 sq ft) witha terrific terrace. There are three restaurants plus room service with Fern being the best (it's also fine dining so a bit pricey) but the service and food is the best (as for Joel he's terrific) as you can eat outside watching the lawn and beach. Molassas is a bit further away (near the golf course) food was good with emphasis on Puerto Rican favorites (ceviche, mofongo etc). We loved both Fern and the poolside restaurant Seagrapes.
We found the service overall good to excellent (witha few issues here and there but were correct immedilately with grace). We found overall experience to be one of the best high end resort experiences we've ever had (and we've stayed in many including European castles).
The only small issue we had was that during the last two days of the trip large groups of events were going on (one for the 2013 club and one for the a software company) and they took up large areas of the resort (with seagrapes being closed for two nights which mean no pool side resaurants and on another nice the areas to the Planation were taken). I recommend to the St. Regis manage that they move some of these events to the conferece areas (or other parts of the property) to allow some of the regular guests access to the amenities.
If you're looking for a place that's unique, away from the crowded resort, areas and utterly beautiful St. Regis is for you. A bonus is that it's exactly half way between San Juan and Fajarado (where the best beaches, boating, bio bay outtingsand other activities are near the Conquistador) and only 10 minues from El Yuque Rain Forest.
Absolutely great time and we thank everyone at St. Regis Bahia Beach. Made us great fans of the St. Regis brand.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Designated as Puerto Rico’s first and only AAA Five Diamond resort and the leader in luxury on the island and in the Caribbean, The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico has been designed with the entire family in mind, providing a variety of extraordinary services and activities that will keep all guests entertained from sunrise to sunset. Located on a former 483 acre coconut plantation, our Rio Grande resort in Puerto Rico sits between El Yunque National Forest and the sparkling Atlantic Ocean on the northeast coast. A Certified Gold Audubon Signature Sanctuary, the lush Resort features a tennis center, a golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr., as well as 4 miles of nature trails, 70 acres of lakes and a boat house for water sports. The intimate St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico boasts suites where The St. Regis’ iconic Butler service is available. Most of the guestrooms overlook amazing ocean and garden views setting a new standard in luxury accommodations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The St. Regis Bahia Beach Hotel Rio Grande
- The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico Rio Grande