Let's not kid ourselves - you are definitely paying for it here, just like at a Four Seasons; however, having stayed at 2 St Regis resorts recently after back to back stay at Four Seasons, there is a definite notch up with the St Regis. First, you just don't feel like you are getting "nickled and dimed" at St Regis like you do at Four Seasons. Wifi - free. Room to bring food into your room - plenty of it; and you don't feel like you have to sneak it either; at our last one prior to this, they even brought a small microwave up so we could make our kids oatmeal in the morning. And for 25 bucks a day per child, your kids can get 3 meals a day (including monster breakfast buffet) and they can eat at all the restaurants you do on the resort on the meal plan. Another huge value add for families. The resort was packed when we were there for Spring Break and service did not seem to miss a step. **They did not have our room available at check in time, but no worries, the bought us lunch poolside, and we definitely won on that deal (facilities were of course more than adequate to change and go to the pool, store luggage etc. while waiting).
Food at all three restaurants was great - especially breakfast outside at their signature Jean George restaurant Fern. While the restaurant choices are limited on the property to 3 - we were warned of this, but with a great recommendation for a local place we were easily able to fill in our nights with other options if we wanted.
The Boat house on the property that offers fishing, kayaking, stand up paddle boarding, swimming and a wonderful guided nature ride/hike each day was perfect break from the pool and beach for the kids. There are S'mores at 530 poolside in a big fire pit on weekends, and during the peak weeks.
Families vs Couples = we were there during peek week for families so there were kids everywhere; we also overlapped on a few days the following week when it slowed down and it was a noticeable difference. If you are going as a couple sans children, then just avoid the peak family weeks and you shouldn't even notice it.
We were there a week, and barely left the property, which is odd for us - as we are always looking to do other activities when we vacation. There is plenty to do on the property, in addition to so many things things off of it.
The resort is in the rain forest basically - which besides the charm and interest of iguanas everywhere, it was still impeccably clean everywhere - the staff did an unbelievable job of keeping public and private spaces clean at seemingly all times.
The only few negative pieces of feedback i would add, is that the beach service closed before sundown. (not sure why either) And driving in general on the north side of the island is absolutely awful - roads are terribly narrow off the main highways, and exits and terribly confusing and not well marked either. GPS still doesn't really work there on top of it - so get really really good directions if you rent a car or pay a car service.
If you have the means I HIGHLY recommend this property to anyone, especially families.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Designated as Puerto Rico’s first and only AAA Five Diamond resort and the leader in luxury on the island and in the Caribbean, The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico has been designed with the entire family in mind, providing a variety of extraordinary services and activities that will keep all guests entertained from sunrise to sunset. Located on a former 483 acre coconut plantation, our Rio Grande resort in Puerto Rico sits between El Yunque National Forest and the sparkling Atlantic Ocean on the northeast coast. A Certified Gold Audubon Signature Sanctuary, the lush Resort features a tennis center, a golf course designed by Robert Trent Jones Jr., as well as 4 miles of nature trails, 70 acres of lakes and a boat house for water sports. The intimate St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico boasts suites where The St. Regis’ iconic Butler service is available. Most of the guestrooms overlook amazing ocean and garden views setting a new standard in luxury accommodations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The St. Regis Bahia Beach Hotel Rio Grande
- The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico Rio Grande