“Excellent Resort Vacation”

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
“Excellent Resort Vacation”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

My family an I recently stayed at the St. Regis Bahia Beach just before the Christmas Holidays, and had a WONDERFUL stay. The property is brand new and absolutely beautiful. The rooms are HUGE! We had a king sized garden room and it was like a miniature suite. The restaurants on property were wonderful, Molasses standing out the most. We had dinner there three nights in a row. If you're looking for a relaxing, beachside, resort vacation, you cannot stay anywhere else than the St. Regis. The combination of the staff, the property, and the environment made this one of the most memorable vacations I've ever experienced.

• Stayed December 2011
srbahiabeach, Manager at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2012

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay with us.

You perfectly describe what our master planners intended for all of our distinguished guests – absolute serenity combined with luxury and wonderful cuisine. Perfect for a romantic getaway, or a week of exploring and adventure for the entire family, all within our beautiful island of Puerto Rico.

We hope to have the pleasure of indulging you once again, at the St. Regis Bahía Beach, the best address in the Caribbean.

Thank you for the gift of feedback and the opportunity to address your thoughts.

Warmest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
Orlando, FL
Reviewed December 11, 2011

We are here now and unfortunately underwhelmed. The resort is beautiful but service has been horrid. Check in was smooth and we waited at lunch for the rooms to be cleaned. Lunch had mixed reviews as I thought my mahi sandwich was delicious yet my wife thought her chicken was lacking. As we got to our rooms they were very nice standard rooms. There were a few small problems as one of the sinks did not drain and the mixing valve in the shower was broken (could not control hot and cold water, either scalding or freezing). My wife noticed housekeeping did not give us shampoo and I called to request. It took over an hour for shampoo to arrive. As I was in the shower someone came and gave my wife 2 bottles of water. They did not ask if we would like turn down just handed her water and left.

We had a 7:00 reservation at fern and before we were seated I told Daniel at the front desk about the problems and he said engineering would take care of the bathroom and housekeeping will turndown the room while we dine.

Fern was average. Appetizers were good but entrees were not to par other than the veal Milanese. The Parmesan crusted chicken was greasy and dry (contradicting but true). Desert was good although the meal for 4 without wine was not worth the $360 price. I highly suggest bring nice wine from home. Wine list is extremely expensive and not very good (6 times retail on some bottles). Grocery stores on the island do not have much selection. Joseph Phelps Cabernet and Don Melchor Cabernet were the best selections at Ralph's.

When we returned from dinner, no one had done anything with the room. I called down and the front desk said housekeeping would be right up(9:30 pm). We decided to go next door and have a bottle of wine with friends. At 11:00 we went back to the room and nothing had been done. I phoned down again and was apologized to and offered breakfast. I explained I do not want gratis, I want service indicative of St. Regis standards.

This morning we woke up without towels, a shower that is still broken, and a sink that won't drain. Management is supposed to do something but they are fully committed. I hope this vacay get better fast!

Day 2....
I woke up with a new day attitude and it was quickly spoiled. As we went to meet our friends for coffee at 10:15 in the plantation house. I was told the coffee was gone but I could have decaf or hot water. I asked if there is any place I could buy a cup. She insisted on the prior options 3 times until "giving in" and going upstairs to get a cup. Let me remind you I asked to buy a cup.

I sat down with David, a manager and told him that Vanessa said he would contact me in the morning. I explained the loose ends from the night before and he told me everything would taken care of and told me he would call to follow up. I am still waiting on a call. The sink was taken care of but I think the shower valve needs to be replaced. We ate at molasses for dinner and it was good. I would suggest the steak or pork chop and dessert is a must.

Today is sunny, so we had plans for the pool. We ate breakfast at fern and were again disappointed. They forgot a smoothie and another entree was prepared incorrectly. I think the new management needs to focus on service and clean house.

We are at the pool now and it is beautiful! Probably one
of the better resort pools I have been to. Still have not seen our "signature butler" but fingers are crossed.... To be continued....

In conclusion, check your expectations at the gate. Until changes are made you will be disappointed. This is a beautiful facility, but the service is not to par with a 3 star Mexican all-inclusive. Molasses is very good. Eat there and you will not be disappointed. Fern is underwhelming and frankly bad. There are not any breakfast option worth patronizing. The pool is great! The rooms are very nice. The beach is brown sand but secluded. The water is not the blue-green most expect in the Caribbean, but nice. The weather can be temperamental. All this said, service will make this your only trip here. Unfortunately a great resort was built without the staff to back it up.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
10 Thank gwhite216

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent visit at our resort.

Although we are most pleased that you enjoyed our elegant pool area and the beauty of our magnificent tropical setting, we do apologize that you had certain issues regarding food and service in general.

Your thoughts have been thoroughly addressed with our staff in an effort to improve service in all areas.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future to reverse your last impression, and treat you to a memorable St. Regis vacation.

Thank you for the gift of feedback, and the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

Chicago
Reviewed December 11, 2011

My wife and I spend a week at the St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort in early December. The place is what you'd expect of a St. Regis. It's located on the beach and at the foothills of the Rain Forest, so the vegetation around the property is magnificent. It used to be an old sugar plantation. The rooms are located in several 3 story buildings around the main house (all not connected). This increases the sense of privacy and comfort. The rooms (we got a suite) was very spacious, and comfortable. It had an unbelievable bathroom with a shower that in a way mimics rain...very cool....the staff was excellent, always offering to help (e.g., if they say you walking they'd offer a ride on their golf carts). The concierge very knowledgagle and helpful.

The main restaurant, called fern, is 5 star...the quality of the food is superb, although a bit pricey. San Juan has a number of good restaurants to try....

A couple of things I didn't like much....1) The beach is not what you'd expect of a Caribbean beach....no white sand and no clear water...there is a big river in the property that dumps lots of dirt and silt from the rain forest so it clouds the water...the beach was also not very clean...my wife and I picked up a couple of pieces of broken glass in the middle of the day..., so if you are a beach kind of person, you may consider another place. 2) the pools side restaurant was terrible....and very pricey...

Overall we had a great experience. I only wished the hotel had a nicer beach/ocean...

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nicoalbi
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent visit to our resort.

Although we strive to deliver an unforgettable vacation experience, it is unfortunate that you were not able to fully enjoy the beach. The two rivers which enhance our spectacular tropical surroundings only affect the beach water occasionally, when the weather and tide are very adverse. In addition, we have a diligent sand sweeping program.

We are concerned about your thoughts regarding the prices throughout the resort and are working to improve this perception.

On a positive note, we are thrilled that you still were able to indulge in our world-class facilities, designed for your absolute pleasure.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 8, 2011

The hotel is very tranquil and the rooms are spacious and quiet. The restaurants and in room dining are very reasonably priced and the food is fantastic.

The hotel has wonderful amenities and a pristine, very private beach.

• Stayed December 2011
srbahiabeach, Manager at The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 6, 2012

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

We are thrilled that you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay at our little slice of heaven.

Your experience in our restaurants and in-room dinning are precisely what St. Regis Bahia Beach strives for – intimate surroundings that embrace an emblematic service philosophy.

Thank you for the gift of feedback, and the opportunity to respond to your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the best address in the Caribbean, The St. Regis Bahía Beach.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 7, 2011

A group of four of us (two couples) were only able to spend one night here due to late booking and an event taking place at the hotel, but we were so glad we came. The St. Regis was amazing! The staff was friendly and attentive, the rooms were clean and well appointed, and we loved the beach and pool. The food was overpriced, but we were expecting that and planned ahead so that we only ended up eating one meal at the hotel. I will definitely return to the St. Regis on my next trip to Puerto Rico.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Oliver578

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay at our resort.

We are thrilled you so thoroughly enjoyed your stay and long to return! One of our Core Values at St. Regis is to indulge our guests in captivating surroundings from the moment you arrive, until your departure.

You experienced precisely what our master planners intended – the ultimate, uncompromising retreat, which captures the defining personality of each location. Your compliments for our staff are truly appreciated and very rewarding to our St. Regis family.

We do hope to have the pleasure of indulging you once again, at the St. Regis Bahía Beach, the best address in the Caribbean.

Reviewed December 4, 2011

Stayed here using points. Wife loved the hotel and thought it was one of the best hotels we have seen.

Beac is private and service was great with food served (favorite was Mahi Mahi sandwich)

Rooms were nice and modern with easy access to beach. Golf carts zip you around the hotel. Loved the bathroom mirrors that had tv embedded.

Drinks can be pricey along with food but quality and taste were great.

Loved the boat house where you can kayak and sail.

Overall great time and we will be back.

4 Thank Ninjareview

Saludos from St. Regis Bahía Beach!

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts regarding your recent visit to our resort.

We are delighted that you had such and a wonderful stay filled with uncompromising detail.
Our staff is very passionate about creating the true St. Regis experience – a meaningful journey with hand-selected service.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, to your home away from home, the St. Regis Bahía Beach.

Reviewed December 4, 2011

This hotel is the best resort on the island. It is very reminiscent of the top resorts in Hawaii. We loved it.

1 Thank CASE-JC
Dear Guest,

Your brief and perfect description is precisely what we intend for every guest – absolute serenity combined with luxury, and wonderful cuisine. Perfect for a romantic getaway or a week of exploring and adventure on our beautiful island of Puerto Rico.

Thank you for the gift of feedback, and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rio Grande
#21 of 46 in San Juan
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,886 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort? Share your experiences!