“Romance at the St Regis”

The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
New York City, New York
“Romance at the St Regis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2011

My wife and I recently visited the St. Regis Bahia Beach in Puerto Rico. The hotel was outrageous. It is a luxury resort with spectacular views of the beach and golf course. Our accommodations were elegant and lavishly appointed featuring private butlers. The staff was extremely attentive to every need and all spoke and understood perfect English. We loved the hiking trails and kayaking as well as the 18-hole golf course. It was a real romantic setting with the utmost in luxury.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lesseidman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2011

Let me start by saying that I used to frequent The St. Regis in Manhattan, New York for many years. Probably the best hotel in the world; thus Starwood decided to grow the famous brand derived from that New York property. Now, I have stayed at other St. Regis hotels/resorts but this one in Puerto Rico caught me by surprise. It is as if they captured the truest essence of the original St. Regis but added a shot of warmth and flavor that exemplifies the nature of the beautiful people of Puerto Rico. The entire team at this resort and I am assuming the owners, need to be congratulated on what they have created in Puerto Rico; probably the only true luxury resort on the enchanted island.

The St. Regist Bahia Beach Resort is located about 30 minutes from San Juan, an easy and beautiful drive through the mountains. The location of the resort is ideal for a resort environment. The resort has everything you can imagine, from tennis courts, to lakes, a challenging golf course, and the pools are very well designed.

From the moment you arrive, you feel pampered, and you can't train this kind of genuine smiles and service. Definitely the most pleasant arrival experience I could have ever expected.

The bell person was Juan, great energy and called me by name.

Lorena, at the front desk, was a gem.

Every guest gets a personal butler/concierge... not bad right? Joshua was very knowledgeable of Puerto Rico and the resort.

My room which was a suite was very large, and so well appointed. The decor is a mix of luxury with modern touches; large TVs, mirror TVs, a convenient station to charge my I-Phone.

I had dinner at the Sea Grapes restaurant outside by the ocean. The nicest staff and the food was fantastic. I was in Puerto Rico, visiting an old love, and her and me had made a pact many years ago, to drink the best "capirinha" (a Brazilian drink similar to a Mojito). These were the instructions we gave our waitress... 5 minutes later, they brought us the best caipirinha I ever tasted.

This resort has a charm that is hard to describe. All I have to say, is that its wonderful staff, unsurpassed amenities, and culinary delights, allowed me and my beautiful princess to create the most amazing memories... I definitely recommend this resort for anyone that believes in destiny, true love at first sight, the potential for beauty in life, and the fact that anything is possible. "Maktub"

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LagoinhaMaktub
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2011

and perfection is what you should expect when you are paying $1100.00 or 21,000 points per night.
For an outstanding, accurate and entertaining review of this resort, you should look at "Priceless details and service at a price" written on March 3rd 2011. This guy can write and I hope he's not wasting his talent on Trip Advisor.

What we liked:
1. beautiful setting and rooms are spacious and very comfortable.
2. service is second to none.
3. large expansive ocean front.
4. kayaking and biking were special as the rain forrest surroundings are very exotic.
5. Miriam, a waitress at the Seagrapes restaurant was the only server all weekend to alert us that tips are included in the bill. Kudos to her!
6. Giovanni, waiter at the Seagrapes, went above and beyond to remedy a problem we had with drinks we ordered through room service, which we wanted served at the beach. You would think that this would not have been such a big deal...but it was. Fortunately, Giovanni understood that we didnt want to be bothered with hotel policy and just wanted our drinks. He made it happen and continued to be one of the finest servers we met throughout the weekend (and they are all great!!)

What we didn't like:
1. Cancelled complimentary smores event because "not enough people showed up."
Yes sounds picky but at 1100.00 per night, you have a right to be picky!
2. Cancelled scheduled brunch because Goodyear group event was having a private brunch at the outdoor restaurant. Not cool at these prices.
3. Goodyear group event took over a beautiful part of the hotel on Saturday evening which prevented us from enjoying the sunset. Also, their band was very loud! Again, maybe picky but we came to the St Regis for perfection.

At the end of the day, this is a superb resort which I have no doubt, will soon be worthy of its expensive rates.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2011

DO NOT GO here for at least a year. They really need to work out the kinks and their staffing issues. For the price it was a nightmare, the bathroom ceiling caved in because the plumbing was faulty and despite requesting it be repaired it remained unrepaired our entire one week duration. We were charged for a brunch we never had. They agreed to take it off the bill then proceeded to try and put it thru a month later with out even telephoning us, which we only noticed when we were going over our credit card bill. We ordered room service for breakfast and it was never delivered. Even the locals say the turn over is high as they figure out who will work out and who won't. My husband went back a month later as part of a business convention and it wasn't any better with the added annoyance of issues with the room keys not working. NOT ST REGIS STANDARD BY A LONG SHOT

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank NYCfamily10028
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2011

My friend and I decided to splurge and take a trip using starwood points. She and I were beyond thrilled with our choice of the St. Regis Bahia Beach. The moment we arrived at the hotel until the minute we left our everyy request and needs were met. The ration of staff to guests is around 2 to 1! Our mornings began by our butler bringing our french pressed coffee to our room. We would call the night before requesting what time it should be delivered. The butler arrived promptly each day and placed our coffee on the balcony. The hotel will alsp provide your paper of choice at your door each morning. After our coffee we would head over to Fern, one of the restaurants on the property, for breakfast. Fern was located in the main plantation house. It is recommended that you make a daily breakfast reservation (which can be done on open table if you don't feel like going through the hotel). Make sure to request the veranda for each meal because the ambiance is gorgeous and a very peaceful way to begin your day. The food is excellent for breakfast. My suggestion would be to head to the pool before breakfast and reserve your chairs for the day. The pool chairs did get reserved quickly eventhough many of the guests were not even at their chairs until 11 am. The pool itself is gorgeous. The water is cold but with the hot PR sun, the cool water was more refreshing than not. The staff at the pool is super friendly and very accomodating. You can have lunch at your chair or at Seagrapes which is located adjacent to the pool. The food is great! What is even better is how fast the food is brought to you after you order. We never waited more than 10-15 minutes to eat! The spicy tuna maki was to die for! The other wonderful part about the pool is that throughout the day there are cold snacks brought around, i.e. popsicles, small smoothie samples, small sorbet samples, frozen grapes, and various ice teas. This was a great added treat to cool you off! In addition, the pool has magazines available to peruse and free sunscreen to use throughout the day (only SPF 15 though). I have read other reviews that discuss loud music being played at the pool....we did not hear any loud music. Two of the days a local band played off near the beach and it was not too loud and made for a more authentic feel while you sat poolside. As for the rest of the resort - make sure to take advantage of the free events occuring throughout the day, i.e. a rum tasting, the bikes and water activities at the boat house, the marshmellow roasts during the weekend and the champagne tasting in the plantation house. The bike/walk/run path is very nice and quiet and a great place to escape and get some exercise. We went on a run on the path (which is a little less than 3 miles) and didn't see another person the entire time which was nice. The trail is clearly marked and there are iguanas and birds all around. The workout room on the property, though somewhat smaller, has all the necessary equipment. Each machine is continuously supplied with a fresh towel and fresh bottle of water...there are also fresh apples in the gym available for the taking. As far as dinner is concerned we ate one night at Fern and one night at Molasses. The food at Fern was spectacular, as should be expected from the famous chef and for the $$$. It was also great to sit on the veranda at Fern for dinner because if it is windy the veranda has opaque shades that are pulled down to block the wind and make dining more enjoyable. Dinner at Molasses was very good as well. The inside was very cold from the air conditioning so we requested to sit outside which was much nicer. The inside looks more like a typical restaurant so being outside was preferred, especially because you listen to the crashing of the waves. Molasses is located in a different location on the property so we were given a ride there on a golf cart and then walked back after dinner to walk off dinner. Everything on the property is within walking distance, however, the grounds are expansive so wherever you go there is an option of being driven on a golf cart. Guests aren't allowed to use the carts, only be driven around on them. If you do plan on leaving the resort to explore PR, I would recommend renting a car (as long as you are good at following directions or reading a map). The roads and raod markings in PR are a bit confusing at first but it was much more cost efficient to have a car rather than use transportation from the hotel or local taxis. The only downside to renting a car is the $22.00/day valet fee required. There is not a self park option at the resort. However, the car service is very prompt and they even washed our car off for us and added windshield wiper fluid when we ran out! The hotel also has printed directions to most places you would be traveling to (other hotels, restaurants, common excursions) so make sure to have them print those out for you before you leave. If you do venture outside the gorgeous grounds there are some local kiosks (kioscos) nearby off of Route #3 that have some great and cheaper food. The hotel recommended Tapas 13 and it was fabulous and full of local flare. The wait staff was very friendly and make great food recommendations for us to try. These kiosks are a great alternative dinner option, especially if you are on your way to/from an activity (ie the biobay kayak tour, the catamaran boat tours or El Yunque National Forest). We did head over the Grand Melia one night for dinner for a change of scenery. This was a mistake! The restaurant (it was sushi and habachi) was not very good and the hotel was nothing special and not worth leaving the beautiful St. Regis.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank sjkoffee
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2011

First, the good. This is a beautiful resort with perfectly manicured grounds, an outstanding staff and a very nice pool and beach area with no crowds. The details are very, very well done. This is a big step up from the tacky nearby Melia Cocoa Beach resort or your garden variety Hyatt, Hilton or Westin vacation spot. Think Ritz Carlton plus. It is gated and guarded and there are only 135 rooms, so this place has a very private club feel. My guess is that the staff outnumbers the guests about 2 to 1 and while we were told that the resort was fully booked, it only felt about 1/3 full. Very relaxing.

Rooms are clustered in condo-like pods and are finished like a $500,000 to $1,000,000 home (depending on where you live!) with dark wood, marble and huge bathrooms.

Now the bad. The location is pretty remote and unless you are pretty adventurous, there are no real dining and entertainment options nearby. And by the way, the rooms start at $1000 a night. That's not a typo for one hundred. That's one large and they climb north all the way to $1800 for rooms that are not even suites. A quick web search found no discounts, so if you want to live the life here, you'll have to pony up. Example: a small bag of cashews from the room mini bar costs $18. That's nuts.

Luckily, I don't like cashews and I didn't pay these rates, I used Starwood points -21,000 pts. a day mind you- but my stay only cost the $60 a day "resort fee" (whatever that is) that they charge SPG members cashing in points. Pretty petty, if you ask me, considering I earned these points spending $30k a year staying at their mediocre Westins, Sheratons and Le Merdiens for business. Is it worth the dollars or points? Read on.

No matter what issues I may have had on this trip, none of it was due to the lovely Puerto Ricans. They are friendly, polite and helpful. And they all have nice teeth. One thing you'll notice driving around that there is a dentist on every block, along with a muffler shop and a Burger King.

Back to the St. Regis. Be aware that you will be an hour from San Juan and the traffic can be slow, so you'll have to plan day trips back to the city or points west carefully. A cab costs a $120 from the airport, so you may want to do the math and rent a car like we did for $35 a day. Be sure to factor in $28 a day for valet parking at the hotel plus tips. Having car is nice, as you'll be close to the east coast towns like Fajardo (supposed to be nice but we didn't find much there but a ferry to Vieques) Luquillo Beach (super nice, calm, public beach) and El Yunque, the rainforest (well worth visiting).

Oddity #1: Finding this resort, even with a map is a challenge. The turn off from Rt.3 to Rt. 187 is in a busy construction zone and then you have to pass through the small town of Rio Grande, which is anything but grand, but there is a dentist. As hard as you may look, you'll find no St. Regis branded directional signs, nada. Look for a tiny white Bahia Beach sign, then you'll drive through 3-4 miles of rural fields before the gates sneak up on you. If it were dark, we would may not have found it and may have ended up sleeping in a Burger King lot. A call to the hotel front desk took 3 hand-offs before we got (vague) directions.

Once inside the property, it's a different world from anything leading up to it. It's a wonderland of exotic grounds keeping, expansive nature reserves, manicured golf courses, fountains, walkways and paths. Muy spectacularama (my Spanish isn't very good).

The center of the resort is a plantation-styled building with columns and porches and a torch-lined drive up, complete with a Koi pond (I henceforth avoided the sushi), a Bentley limo and a swarm of valets making up a scene worthy of a Life Styles of The Rich and Famous re-run.

Check in with your own personal agent at a mahogany desk, leather chairs and a glass of champagne, is pretentious. A nice touch I suppose, but it took forever to sit through the whole spiel. It felt a lot like signing a mortgage loan. Sadly, you could buy a house in, say, Detroit, for what it cost to stay here.

As is normal for about 50% of my SPG stays, my Platinum level status got me nothing in the way of room upgrades. I was told, in St. Regis parlance, that the hotel was "fully committed." I was ready to be committed after getting stiffed again.

However, our room was very nice, by any standards, and was well finished with top quality materials but was nowhere near the pool or beach. This turned out to be OK, as it was in a very private, quiet corner facing a forest and the golf course. Be aware that you may have to whine, or pay, to be closer to the facilities. To be fair, the front desk offered to switch our room when one opened up but we decided that we liked our location, so we stayed put.

The beds are plush and the bathrooms are huge. Our shower alone was likely bigger than the chambermaid's house. The resort only opened last November, so it still has that new look and feel. No dirty grout, peeling wallpaper, etc., that older "classic" (code for need renovation badly) high-end joints suffer from.

Oddity #2: I learned from the front desk after complaining about a warm room that the hotel regulates the air conditioning through a motion sensor. No motion in the room (like when you're sleeping) means a warmer room. What this means is that you can set your thermostat to 65 degrees and it might ratchet up to 75, which is hot in a humid climate. Opening your porch or patio doors (ours had no screens) shuts it off completely. A call to the front desk netted a response 24 hours later telling us that they would re-set our thermostat to the VIP setting, giving us access to unbridled a/c settings. I guess only VIPs deserve to be really comfortable. Wait a minute, Platinum members are supposed to VIPs....never mind.

This is one of those new "green" (green as in it makes more money for the hotel) initiatives that hotels are trying to pull over on us. Hey, SPG, these are rich people- Republicans. They want cold a/c, their dirty linen changed, hot water, a new bar of soap and lights that work without an instruction manual. Replace your 5 mpg Bentley limo with a Prius if you want to go all tree hugger on us, just leave us out of it.

Speaking of rich people stuff, St. Regis likes to brag about the personal butler that comes with your room. I read all about it on their web site, and my personal mortgage banker, I mean, check- in assistant, went on and on about their man Jeeves. We never saw this phantom and the best we could tell is that it's basically just room service. Order some ice- and someone brings it. Big deal.

There are 3 restaurants on the property and they were all good, if not expensive. Expect to pay $150 for 2, with decent wine, except for the pool restaurant/bar called Sea Grapes, which is more like $50 for lunch for 2 and inexplicably closes at 5 pm. The other 2, Fern, upstairs in the main building, and Molasses at the golf club, featured the expected meat and seafood with some local spin. The servers, like all of the native staff members, were gracious. Oddity #3: Be wary of the restaurant reservation system. Twice we told that there were no openings near our requested times, and twice we showed up at those times and the places were half or near empty. Local options are sparse and night driving is hairy, especially after drinking, so get a cab and good recommendations if you want to skip the jacked up hotel fare.

The beach and pool areas are spiffy, but oddly, hardly anyone was swimming in either during our stay. The ocean was clean but the water was a little off color and the sand has a dark, gravel color that made it less appealing than the bright white sand you may be used to in Mexico or other Caribbean spots. But there are 2 miles of deserted shore to walk, so overall the beach rates an A-minus. It was hard to fault the pool(s) and deck area with the multiple pools, lots of plush lounge chairs, nice towels and umbrellas and many locations for sun, shade, ocean view, etc. Kudos on the music mix too. No obnoxious rap or Caribbean party music or camp counselor-types trying to drum up conga lines or games of Marco Polo.

While the cost and the lack of activities prevent this from being a real family place, there were a good number of families here. You might feel out of place bringing screaming kids that run around cannonballing into the pools, so bring a nanny or keep them in line or you might get dirty looks from someone like me.

There are several golf courses within the friendly confines but in 4 days we only saw 3 players. Maybe the $250 greens fees or the numerous sunning iguanas scared off the duffers. The tracks appeared to be first rate, with many holes along the ocean and lots of cute girls driving beverage carts.

The Jurassic Park-like nature grounds of the resort are worth touring on foot, or by bike, which are available at the boathouse that you pass on the way in. These bikes are the only things at the entire resort that are free, so play Lance Armstrong for as long as you can. The gears didn't work either of ours, so our Tour De France fantasy was short-lived.

So the million dollar mini bar bill, I mean, the million dollar question, is: Was it worth it?

Yes, if you're using points. We were impressed by nearly every aspect of this resort and had a great time.

But the answer is no, if you're paying with real dinero. Our 4 night stay (2 of us), with 3 restaurant dinners w/wine, 2 lunches and maybe 6 drinks would have cost $4900. That's some serious jack that could buy you a whole house for 12 w/maids and cooks in Mexico, Jamaica, etc.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank dupedtourist
old tappan ,nj
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2011

The review before mine is right on. Housekeeping requests are ignored and golf club storage is a hit or miss proposition .St Regis also makes golfers on Mondays and Tuesdays take a tram back to the hotel to have a drink or a bite to eat. The hotel claims to be averaging a 90-95 occupancy .The average spend per day at this hotel is 1500 a day. You would think at this pace management could afford to have it's golfers served when they get off the course. Finally ,it appears that the hotel has a deliberate policy to deceive their guest by offering free credits and yet conveniently forgetting to apply those credits at check out. We had a 200 dollar Amex Centurion food and beverage credit that we had to mention at check out. Like the previous reviewer , this situation makes for a very stressful and depressing experience at checkout. St Regis get your act together

• Stayed February 2011
#19 of 46 in San Juan
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,766 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort? Share your experiences!