We were looking for a beach destination where we could bring our teenage daughters on spring break, but still have a family atmosphere. The week we were there, (Mar. 29-Apr. 3), this hotel was perfect for our needs. The hotel is beautiful, and our room was very nice with an ocean front view. The beach was wonderful, and the weather was great all week. The employees were all friendly, with some going above and beyond - a special thanks to Carlos Rosa who brought us beach chairs and an umbrella from all the way at the other end of the beach when we came out late one morning. Because we'd read lots of reviews, we knew to rent a car and not eat at the overpriced restaurants on the property. As every review of this hotel mentions, the parking charges are ridiculous. But at least we knew what to expect, and the $90 we spent on parking for the week was well made up for by what we saved on food and sightseeing by having our own car. This was one of our favorite vacations as a family, we all had a great time and really enjoyed our stay at the Wyndham. We would definitely go there again.
*requesting a fridge in your room costs $10 per day. A cheap styrofoam cooler at Walmart costs under $5. Ice at the hotel is free. The breakfast buffet at the hotel is $19 per person, plus a $4 carafe of coffee. Just by using the cooler for milk, eating cereal in the room for four mornings, I estimate that our family of four saved around $400.
*When we were in the mood for a full breakfast, we went to Antojitos (right at the bottom of the hill) and spent only about $5 per person. The food was great.
*You will see lots of signs for Richie's Cafe up the hill from the resort. Having seen some TripAdvisor reviews, we went for the gorgeous view and kept our expecations reasonable for the food. Yes, the view is incredible, but even considering our lowered expectations, the food was barely average and the service was ridiculously bad. Cost for our family of 4: $85. Later in the week we learned that if you keep driving a few hundred more feet up the hill, you will come to a restaurant called Terrazzo Montemar. Same gorgeous view, with wonderful food - and half the price of Richie's- highly recommended.
*The Kioskos in Luquillo are not to be missed. They are a row of beachfront shacks right off Highway 3. We went twice for delicious lunches that cost our family of four less than $20. Yum.
*In our opinion, the $20 valet parking wasn't worth it. After arriving late the first night and using valet, we switched to $15 self park for the rest of the week. We actually preferred getting our own car (quick and easy) to waiting around for them to bring it.
*Do online research and reserve your rental car ahead of time. The hotel has an Avis desk, but obviously you'll spend more that way. We found the best deal by far with Thrifty in San Juan.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled between El Yunque Rainforest and a mile stretch of secluded beach, the Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa is Puerto Rico's most exotic beach, golf and spa resort destination. 500 magnificent acres with spectacular ocean, rainforest and lush tropical views serve as backdrops to 400 newly renovated guestrooms and suites and an exclusive renovated 48,000-sq.-ft. Oceanfront Conference Center. Located on the N.E. Ecological Corridor of Puerto Rico's shoreline, the Wyndham Grand Rio Mar is a haven for fun, sun and forging memorable experiences. The new guestrooms exude traditional Puerto Rican architecture and feature thoughtful indigenous touches. The resort boasts two championship golf courses & tennis center, Mandara spa, 10 lounges and restaurants with award-winning cuisine, an exciting casino, two nature reserves and a guest experience program that encompasses the beauty and nature of its magical surroundings. And since Puerto Rico is a US Commonwealth, no passports or visas are required for US Citizens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Margaritaville Vacation Club Wyndham Rio Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rio Mar Beach Resort And Spa, a Wyndham Grand Resort
- Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa, a Wyndham Grand Hotel Rio Grande
- Wyndham Rio Grande
- Rio Del Mar Puerto Rico
- Rio Grande Wyndham
- Rio Mar Puerto Rico
- Westin Rio Mar Puerto Rico
- Wyndham El Yunque National Forest
- El Yunque National Forest Wyndham
- Margaritaville Vacation Club Wyndham Rio Mar Puerto Rico/Rio Grande