Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Reviewed February 4, 2010

The hotel is a great place to stay but the iguanas are a real nuisance. When to try to eat at the pool they will come all over you for food. Some of the Iguanas are very big and they scare your little ones. The staff is not helpful at all in this area, the largest of the iguanas jumped to the pool from the top of one of the tree palms and almost fell on top of my 4 year old child. Iguanas are not indigenous to Puerto Rico, so they have no real predators. Tourist are intrigued by them in the beggining but after your third day you fell harrased by them. The management of the hotel really needs to deal with this problem.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank soi012
WyndhamEXEC, Manager at Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2010

Thank you for your feedback with reference to your stay. We apologize for your inconvenience and will work towards better controlling the resort grounds.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,252)

Reviewed February 3, 2010

This was a great hotel. The food is pretty expensive no matter if you eat their or take the shuttle to a restaurant outside the resort (I believe they may have been affiliated). Overall the food was great. But it was an awesome stay, very discreet and the staff was friendly. Don't forget to visit Old San Juan and visit the Old Harbor Steak and Lobster House!! :) Casino was addicting and I won..and lost lol Best bet is to run out if you hit big! LOL

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank IFLYHIGH89

It was pleasure reading your comments regarding your time at Rio Mar. We are delighted you chose our resort as your vacation destination and from what you’ve stated it seems it was a memorable stay. We hope you return soon!

Reviewed February 3, 2010

I most certainly read the other reviews before I stayed at the Rio Mar in Puerto Rico. Some of them came in very handy and others seemed a bit ridiculous. Here are the facts.
The hotel is beautiful and of course it is expensive, it's a Wyndam property. Some of the pricing we were not willing to pay ($33 for a 6-pack of Heineken on ice) others were just what you pay for a nice hotel on vacation ($22/person for full buffet which includes anything on the menu PLUS drinks such as mimosas). We arrived well before check in and thankfully our room was available. We were on the 7th floor with a view of the mountains and the rain forest; it was breathtaking! Our room was not dated; it was comfortable and had a terrace.
We did rent a car but we did not go through the hotel's Avis rental. Instead, there is a place about 10 minutes down the road called "Cabrerra" that will pick you up at Rio Mar and drop you back off. The hotel pricing for the car rental was about $80/day which included insurance and Cabrerra car rental place was $55/day including insurance. We rented a Toyota Yaris and drove all over the island. We only needed $10 to replace the gas we used before we returned it.
As indicated by others, it is best if you do things directly rather than going through the hotel. One day we went on a Catamaran Excursion. Through the hotel it was $115/person, directly through East Island Excursions in Puerto Del Mar (25 min from hotel) it was $147 for 2 people. We walked through the rain forest another day; through the hotel it was $65 per person for the tour, if you went directly they charge $5 (cash only) for the tour or you can walk through the rain forest with a map for free...we hiked through the rain forest to see the waterfall. It was beautiful. One afternoon we drove to the Kiosces in Loquillo beach (10 minutes from hotel) and had authentic Puerto Rican food for 1/8 of what you would pay at the hotel. For breakfast the second day we went to Antejolitos which is on the same road as the hotel near the bottom of the hill. As you can imagine, the pricing was far more reasonable about 1/4 of the price at the hotel. For dinner we went to Don Pepe. If you can eat outside of the hotel for most of your meals you should!
We wound up paying the $10/day for the refrigerator in our room and went to Amigo Supermarket to stock up on beer and liquor - it proved to be the better choice. We did splurge on one dinner for our last night at Palio and it was excellent.
We did not experience anyone being nasty to us and we never waited for more than 30 seconds when we went to the front desk to ask a question. All of the staff at the hotel was patient and accommodating.
We did experience some issues - I forgot about the room key being demagnetized when it touches other credit cards, so at one point we could not get in the room, but again it was a quick fix. We had an issue with our safe as the screen seemingly froze on "open" but they quickly came and fixed it.
People warned about the Iguanas and we certainly saw them, but they stayed on the grass - away from people. The reviews made it sound like the place was infested. We saw 3 the entire time we were there and the property is huge.
All in all we thought it was a wonderful trip and were sad to return to the frigid weather of New York after being in 83 degree weather.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
6  Thank saymanmitch

Thank you for your wonderful review. It gives us such great pleasure reading reviews such as yours. We are so very excited that you left with an enjoyable and memorable experience. We hope you come back soon!

Reviewed February 3, 2010

A very nice hotel that commands top dollar ,but, there were things amiss. One of the seaside restaurants was closed the entire time we were there. There used to beach service, and at times there were bars that were closed at peak times. One bar would be overstaffed and another struggling to make frozen drinks. They also would rotate staff from one bar to the next. The people that were working were very friendly and nice. Beach is groomed, clean, and good.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

We thank you for your constructive comments regarding your stay at our resort. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts and which will allow us to become a better property in the future.

Reviewed January 29, 2010

The hotel is BEAUTIFUL, grand entrance, two pools, plus one just for little children (which our 1 year old loved). Our first room seemed clean & well appointed, but when I woke in the morning I quickly found that I had been bitten by bed bugs! Hotel staff were great, moved us into another room (with better view). I wished they told would have us about wetness on the floor due to condensation when the warn air comes into contact with AC-room--we used pool towels as rugs throughout our stay. Good food in hotel restaurants, but pricey. Antojitos down the road is FANTASTIC, so is the pizza spot down the street by the gas station/laundry mart.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank LAGlobeTrottr

Thank you for your comments and please accept our most sincere apology for the inconvenience of the wet floors in your room. We want you to know that you are valued by us and hope you’ll give us another opportunity to be of serve to you.

Reviewed January 28, 2010

I just got back from a 7 day stay at the Rio Mar and had a much better experience than I had expected based on the reviews. I used the Dragonfly airport transfers and this was the most economical way for a solo traveller although two or more vacationers may want a taxi since a taxi could stop and pick up supplies. I did feel bad for a group of four who had a small child and could not be provided with the child seat that was requested- Dragonfly had a booster seat designed for a much older child which could not be used for a 1-2 year old.

Check in went smoothly and I was offered a basic room either on the first floor facing the pool/ocean or a 7th floor room facing the mountains- I picked the mountain view and believe that was the best choice. The view really was beautiful especially in the misty mornings and evenings. I found some travellers binoculors in my suitcase from a previous trip and enjoyed watching the tropical birdlife.

I wasn't sure what to expect about the restaurant situation considering other reviews citing overpricing and poor quality and I was pleased not to agree with other reviewers. I found almost all of my meals to be reasonably priced and of high quality. I enjoyed the breakfast buffet a couple of times but went for the 'cold buffet' , $16 I think, which included fruit juice, a full carafe of coffee, fresh fruit buffet, pastries, cereal, and breads. It was worth my dollar because it also provided bagels that could be toasted with cream cheese, smoked salmon, capers, and chopped onions which added a tasty sandwich to my breakfast. Pretty much all basic meals cost me about $20-22 with taxes and tip and the quality was very good and I thought that was reasonably priced. I was offered free refills on my soda during each meal that added to the value. I also ate about one meal a day from the ERL cafe next to the casino and this allowed me to save some $. I got a large morning coffee and a tasty carrot muffin some mornings, $8, and took them down to the beach or pool and was very content. They also have wraps, including caesar chicken salad and others, for about $8.50 that made a light lunch or dinner. I think two smaller children could comfortably share one wrap. I really enjoyed the roasted rosemary chicken and the greek chicken wrap at Marbella's for dinners at Marbella's. I also enjoyed the grilled swordfish at Palio's.

The resort has good television stations including the major networks, HBO and HBO2, discovery, history channel, MTV, VH1, and 3-4 childrens channels. They had free fitness videos on demand including a number of yoga choices. I was super pleased that they allowed me to check out a yoga mat from the fitness center so I do the yoga in the room. I also enjoyed the fitness center which had 5-6 treadmills, 2-3 stair climbers, 3 bikes, free weights, and the standard weight machines. Most of the treadmills and stairclimbers had televisions that you could plug your earphones into. The fitness center definitely got crowded in the early morning hours but I had it to myself when I went during prime sun hours from 1-2pm. I was dissapointed that the resort advertised complimentary bicycle (outdoor) on the wyndham website but actually didn't offer that amenity.

The housekeeping was great and timely and I appreciated the two small water bottles that were left in my room each day. There is an ice-machine on each floor and I filled my bucket each morning and then left it on the balcony table and could come back in the afternoon and refill my water bottles with tasty, icy cold water to take back to the pool.

I somehow forgot to bring one of my toiletry bags with brushes, other hair stuff, etc. and appreciated that they offered the basic supplies at the resort store for very reasonable prices and they actually had a large, well thought out selection of all basic items. The resort store also offered cold sodas ($1.38), beer (2.99 per can plus tax), and wine. I bought a chilean shiraz for $23 which was not the highest quality but appreciated. I can understand the comments that alcoholic beverages were pretty pricey at the bars- do take advantage of the happy hour at the Tiki Bar from 4-6pm where you could get two for one drinks (only one selection of the day I think) or two PR beers for $5. The Seabreeze restaurant also offered a discounted drink of the day with lunch.

The staff were uniformly professional and friendly and I thought the service was of very high quality. If you have a late return flight, be sure to join Wyndham Rewards and bring your number with you- I got a late 4pm check out which was really great.

I would definitely recommend the resort and return. I am especially appreciative of the fact that they lent me the yoga mat, the reasonably priced resort store, the ERL cafe, and the great staff. I suggest they remove the inaccurate reference to complimentary bicycles on the website and suggest they rethink the 'fire-cracker' bread appetizer- it's a miss.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank susieq3333

We would like to say thank you for your most complimentary review. We are sure that many will find it helpful and informative. It was a pleasure having you as a guest in our resort and we do hope that you will return again soon!

Reviewed January 23, 2010

The rooms are pretty worn-off and due to (light) refurbisments in progress, the smell of fresh paint is (was) present everywhere. Nevertheless, I can appreciate the cleanliness.
I tried to turn off the A/C during the night time (to keep a little silence), but there still was a loud noise coming out from one of the air valves (or whatever). I tried couple of times to ask to get this one fixed, unfortunately without result.
Due to location, you have to rely on either taxi or shuttle in order to get out of the resort. Fares seemed to me extremely high (60 USD round trip to the Prime Outlet, 80 USD one way to San Juan), and when we've asked for a shuttle arrangement to Prime Outlet, we've been answered - with no comments allowed from our side - that this is valid only for at least 4 persons. And that's it. I can understand the rules, but not the attitude.
The beach was in a poor condition (I can understand the storm brought lots of garbage at the shore, but no attempt was made to clean it up ...).
On the positive side, apart from the sports bar in the lobby, there is a lounge bar at the ground floor with access to the terrace.
Breakfast is pretty diversified (lots of fruits available), but if you happen to get there during the rush hour (between 8:30 and 9:30), you may experience some queue... It may even happen that staff will simply forget you stalled at the entry.
All in one, for a first trip to Puerto Rico, I would say the sound of coqui's during the night and the iguanas hanging around free in the garden, it's a fairly nice place to start.
I would probably recommend to get a rental car instead of using the taxi/shuttle.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank TransEurope

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to share your comments regarding your stay at the resort. Please know that your feedback is very valuable to us as it allows us to improve in any area of opportunity. We are pleased you chose our resort as your vacation destination.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rio Grande
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Copamarina Beach Resort & Spa
Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort

Been to Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!