Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort
$920
TripAdvisor
Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn(Luquillo)(Great Value!)
$120
  • Breakfast included
$334
Courtyard
  • Beachfront
Melia Coco Beach(Rio Grande)
  • Beachfront
Ocean Pearl(Luquillo)
7,367 results
All reviewsmarbella restaurantiguana feedingpuerto ricoiguana pubtiki hutrainforest viewadult poolfamily poolrented a carold san juanocean suiteself parkinglobby barconcierge deskocean frontminute drivegreat beach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 20, 2006

As others have noted, I was extremely anxious about this resort after all the negative reviews here. We have traveled extensively especially in the Caribbean and we settled on this location because of the length of our stay (5 days) and easy flights. I'm pleased to say our stay was great! Was it perfect? No, but very few Caribbean resorts are outside of the Four Seasons at Nevis and Caneel Bay in St. John. This resort is extremely large. We were there over Easter week and it was completely full. Even with that, every service person we encountered had a big smile and tried to be as helpful as possible. Chairs were scarce around the pool areas, but on demand at the beach. My kids had a good time because of all the activities (my sons are 11 and 12). They have a nice gameroom and frequently showed movies at the pool at night with soft drinks and popcorn. My youngest especially loved the nightly bonfire and s'mores!! There is a new "highway" from the airport (66) so the drive is now under 30 minutes. If you go, try "King's Seafood" near Fajardo. I recommend this resort highly especially if you have a family!

2  Thank susanPittsburgh_PA
A TripAdvisor Member
Ellicott City, MD
Reviewed April 18, 2006

We took our 18 month old daughter to the Westin for 7 nights and had a great time! Lots of babies and kids this week. The staff was very friendly and resort always clean. We thought we were getting a mt. view and they gave us the ground floor garden/ocean view which was awesome, easy access to pool area and high ceilings.

The heavenly cribs were great compared to other hotel cribs. The food was expensive but good, all resorts have expensive food, when you go to a hotel like this it is expected. The food takes a long time to get to you by the pool but you are on vacation, relax and order a half hour before you want to eat. The beach was wonderful as well as the pools and baby pool. All the kids looked like they were having a great time.

Every night there was a bonfire with free smores and bottled water. The only negative about the trip was the 45 minute long bus ride to the hotel but the hotel bus was very comfortable. We didn't leave the hotel all week, if you are looking for a very relaxing vacation at a classy place this is the hotel for you. The resort is gorgeous and we have stayed at some top notch hotels. We will go back to this hotel!

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 18, 2006

We just got back from the Westin (stayed there for 4 nights). The resort was lovely, very well-kept, and clean. I'm happy to report: NO BEDBUGS!! The staff was very helpful and accomodating. After much debate, we decided not to rent a car and pretty much were stuck inside the resort. We tried to walk outside of the resort but I wouldn't recommend it: narrow road with speeding cars, not safe at all. We booked the Old San Juan, El Yunque, and Bio Bay Fajardo trips through the hotel. It was expensive but worth it. If given the choice, I would definitely have rented a car. The resort beach was great but was extremely crowded over the weekend. The pool was always crowded. There were kids everywhere! I think we were the only couple without kids there. I was really impressed by how many activities they provide for the kids. As other people have mentioned, the food is very expensive. We only had sandwhiches at the Coqui club. We went to Old San Juan on our second day and loaded up on snacks and canned food. Ask the housekeeping people for bottled water and they'll readily give you as many as you want. Overall, I was very impressed by how beautiful and well maintained the resort was. It's a great place for families with children but as a young couple looking for a quiet getaway, we would not go back there again. If you go there, definitely visit El Yunque. I think that was the highlight of our trip.

Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank cwmmh
A TripAdvisor Member
Aberdeen, NJ
Reviewed April 17, 2006

Just returned from a 5 day stay at the Westin Rio Mar and like many just returning vacationers, I was a little anxious about going after reading the comments. However, we didn't have one bad experience. Since I made the arrangements, I was very nervous since my wife enjoys 4 & 5 star hotels. We've stayed at the Atlantis and the Westin is just a step below. We had an absolute wonderful time. Since we had no intentions of leaving the property, we took the modified meal plan (Breakfast & Dinner). We had the breakfast buffet everyday and was so full that it held us until dinner. Palio and The Grille were our favorite restaurants on the property. My wife loved the spa and my son and I had a blast on the wave runners. It was a very relaxing vacation and would definitely go back again.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 16, 2006

Just got back from the Westin Rio Mar on Saturday April 15th, we were there a week. The Hotel property itself is very nice and well kept. The staff that was there was very helpful (more on that in a minute). We had a Mountain View room and it was fine. We were there with our two children 4 & 9 and the room was fine for all of us. Now the downside All of the on-site restaurants are priced out of site for dinner and none better then Outback. We went to all of them Palio, The Grille Room, Aqua Luna. Our average dinner bill with one bottle of wine was over $250.00 every night. Please keep in mind the kids are eating a hot dog or macaroni and cheese. I read some of the reviews before I started to write this and some of the reviewers state that the hotel is "Only" 45 minutes from the Airport or Old San Juan. Well, to me that is a pretty long drive. Since the hotel is in the middle of nowhere you pretty much feel like a prisoner of the resort. If it rains while you are down there or if you need a break from the pool, boy are you in trouble. To break up our trip we decided to take a cab ride to Old San Juan..$180.00 round trip. Would have rented a car for the day but the Avis on site had no cars available. All in all there are plenty of places you can spend $4,000 to $5,000 for a weeks vacation and it is my opinion this is not the place. Oh getting back to my above mentioned staffing issues. You could never find a waiter around the pool area and on top of that each restaurant was closed at least 2 nights while we were down there because they did not have the proper staffing levels. I know I may sound a little tough on this place but don't only take my opinion we ended up meeting about 7 couples while we were down there and they all had the same opinion except for the family that golfed. This is what I would call a one and done...but if you can get it for real cheap go for three or four days only. Hope this helps...

15  Thank bigalittlee