“Very well worth the price we paid”

Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
texas
“Very well worth the price we paid”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2009

The resort was a true vacation for us. We did not know what to expect when we arrived. But when we walked in the resort sold its self. The food and drinks were expensive, but the service was wonderful. The location of the resort is 45 minutes from the airport but it is a true get-a-way. We recomment you take advantage of the onsite rent a car service. Money well saved. We would like to visit again because the first impression was a great one.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,285)
new york, ny
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2009

My husband and I went with our two small children (2 and 4) to the resort for 4 nights/5 days at the end of April. We rented a car so we could have them in car seats. It was an easy ride from the airport (although over an hour for the car rental process at Enterprise!). Also, I had read about how expensive the food was on site so we wanted options. Good thing, as the one nice dinner at the hotel with the kids was $175 -- and they shared a dish!

Upon arriving we quickly discovered that our sink was stopped up. We told them right away and then left the room. When we returned a couple of hours later, it was still broken. We went back to the desk and told them again. They promised to fix it while we were out. Still not fixed when we got back from dinner so we were washing our hands and brushing our teeth in the tub. Annoying.

The next morning we went out for breakfast for 3 hours and returned to find the maid in our room with towels covering the bathroom floor. The sink was still broken and we told the desk AGAIN (this time a little aggravated). We left again to go to the pool and returned 3 hours later for my youngest to take a nap. As soon as she laid down, in come the work crew to fix it. There goes the nap. At this point we were highly irritated and went back to the desk. I ended up sitting in the lobby with my 2 year old who was beyond exhausted at this point. She fell asleep on me, while I sat on a couch, for 3 hours. Needless to say, she slept well but it was extremely uncomfortable and totally inconvenient. I have a very busy job and needed to work on my laptop in my room, but was unable.

While I was sitting there, a very nice manager came over and told me she had spoken to my husband. She was very, very apologetic and wanted to make it right. I told her I would talk to my husband and get back to her. Later, we found her and told her we felt a $200 credit to our account would make up for the entire day that was spent dealing with that. She was in total agreement that it was a fair amount and gave us her card, telling us to call if we needed ANYTHING. That woman knows how to smooth things over!

The rest of the trip was much more enjoyable. Although a bit worn down in spots, the hotel is nice and seems clean. The pools were great and my kids loved the water slide and the beach. The landscaping is nice.

We parked in the garage for $15 a day (the car rental was $100) but what we saved in being able to eat off site made it worth the cost. The one dinner we had (courtesy of that credit!) on site was very, very nice. We left other nights to eat at La Parilla at the kioskos (less than 10 minutes away) and another night at....I think it was called King Seafood (or something like that) in Luquillo, which was about 15 minutes. Both were fantastic meals and the restaurants were well suited for kids -- not to mention much less expensive.

Not sure I would return but if someone I knew was going I would say overall, the price was right, as the four of us traveled, including air, hotel, car and all food for under $3000. Not bad for a family of four. I booked on Wyndham Vacations which was cheaper than the quote I got from a travel agent.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Madison, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2009

My wife and I had a very nice stay at the Rio Mar. I will start by saying that I read several reviews on TripAdvisor before booking and was aware of the 'negatives' that other people highlighted in their reviews. I stayed for a week and was very impressed with the cleanliness of the resort and the outstanding service. All of the employees were extremely friendly and courteous. The staff at concierge were very professional and, for the most part, right on about their recommendations and directions to area attractions. The housekeeping staff were very attentive to the rooms - it seemed like every time we went somewhere (beach, casino, dinner, etc.) we would come back and our room was cleaned, towels replaced, and bed made. Yes, the walls are a bit thin but my recommendation is to let them know if you are not satisfied and see if they can switch your room. I was originally on the sixth floor facing the ocean and they had some renovation work going on near my room which became a bit noisy. I simply requested a different room and they were happy to accommodate my request. The change only took 30 min because they had someone come up and help us move luggage and bags. Others have mentioned that the drinks are expensive and I noticed this as well. We went to the local grocery store (Amigo at 3rd light east on hwy 3 or there's a wal mart and another grocery store at 5th light to east on hwy 3) to buy drinks that we could pack in a bag and take with us to the beach which was more cost effective. The local restaurants we visited and enjoyed were as follows: La Parilla (kioscos), El Jefe (kioscos), Isamar Bakery (at hwy 3 intersection - breakfast), Brass Cactus (Luquillo), Pasion Por El Fogon (Fajardo), and La Estacion (Fajardo). All very good. If you're headed to San Juan we ate at Parrot Club one night and Barrachina another night, both on Fortaleza St. and were very good. We didn't eat at the resort except for the last day when we had the buffet breakfast. A little pricy but it was very tasty and a good way to end the trip. We did a self-guided rainforest adventure in a half day. El Yunque is very unique and close to the resort so you should check it out. No need to plan more than half day though. We went to the casino twice during our stay and were there for 1 hr each time. The staff were professional and polite and the waiters offered to serve drinks. We went on a catamaran sailing and snorkeling excursion to a local island off Fajardo. This was a very well-organized trip - we had a great time snorkeling and swimming in the aqua blue waters. They also provide a nice lunch aboard and several fruits to much on later in the day. We tried out the bioluminescent lagoon kayaking with kayaking puerto rico. This was a great time and well worth the $45 per person. Tip: book direct rather than going through the hotel, they were selling the same trip for $99. The hotel pools were very nice and well-kept. The adult pool lounge chairs get used so you may want to get down there by 10 or 11am to get a seat. I don't have kids but it seemed like there was plenty for young ones to do between the iguanas, beach, activity pool, kids club, etc. They also have a decent exercise facility and a jogging path so bring your shoes if you'd like a workout. Very nice spa also but didn't try it out. Overall this was a great trip and we enjoyed the hotel amenities. If you are expecting a four seasons or some other palace environment then maybe you should look elsewhere. We were looking for a great vacation spot close to the adventure (rain forest, kayaking, snorkeling) with a clean room, nice pool area, good service, reasonably priced and we were pleased with our selection.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank S2H2009
US
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2009

This hotel has an excellent location for someone interested in a more natural Puerto Rican experience. The location on the coast is beautiful, with views of the ocean on one side and the mountains on the other. El Yunque is just minutes up the road, and watersports are readily available. The resort doesn't offer much in the way of nightlife - just the casino and a lobby bar, which closes a bit early. It's well outside San Juan, so someone interested in a more urban experience may not enjoy it as much. The grounds of the hotel are immaculate, and the public areas are very nice. The rooms aren't bad, but are clearly in need of renovation. They show their age and are not up to the same standard as the public areas. The spa is nice, but a little too small - plan ahead, because everything gets booked quickly. The Italian restaurant, Palio, was quite nice, especially for a romantic evening; the beach restaurant and the atrium restaurant (Marbella) are highly overpriced and nothing memorable.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2009

I stayed at the Rio Mar for a week. The staff was very unorganized and SLOW. Be careful if you are going to use their transportation. They use a third party transportation service and the staff will tell you one amount, the driver will tell you another. I would ask the driver how much you are going to pay before getting into the vehicle.
I went to the Rio Mar for a wedding. We had 43 people at the wedding and the Rio Mar set up only 16 chairs. We had to wait 30 minutes to get enough chairs. Like I said earlier, very SLOW.
The management was not willing to help out us with our issues. They actually sided with the other party or employees. I am very disappointed with the Rio Mar and will never stay at a Wyndham resort ever again.

Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
New york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2009

We stayed at Wyndham Rio Mar in early March. It is a nice property. We had a very nice oceanview room. I found the staff at this hotel to be extremely helpful and friendly. The amenities are good. The spa is good. The grounds and pools are well maintained. This was our second trip to P.R. so we did not leave the property. We spent our days swimming in the ocean and relaxing on the beach. The waves were pretty big, but we enjoyed it. The casino is not large, but a lot of fun. The restaurants are pretty good. The only complaint I have about the food was with the rice (white and yellow) which was not good (some grains were not fully cooked). However, the cilantro rice (green) is absolutely delicious. Shimas Restaurant serves a very good filet mignon in a ginger sauce. Overall, this is a great place to spend a few days, if all you are looking for is R&R. Getting around without a car would be expensive as the hotel is somewhat isolated. We did go to Rick’s café. The view is awesome, but the food was disappointing. Rick, however, makes up for it – he is a very friendly guy with a warm personality. The only other hotel I can compare the Rio Mar with in PR is with El Conquistador, which was a Wyndham when we stayed there in 2000. El Con is a nicer hotel, but the staff at Rio Mar are, by far, more courteous. I rate Rio Mar a solid 4 star resort.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Lake Charles, Lousiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2009

My wife and I are from Lake Charles, LA and we stayed six days at the Rio Mar and loved it. Our room was over looking the ocean with the most beautiful view. The beach was beautiful, staff was friendly and very helpful and the trip to the rain forest was unbeliveable, we hiked approximately 2 1/2 miles through the rain forest stopping at a water fall for a squick swim. Our over all stay was pleasant the food was a bit exspensive but over all we had a great time! If possible rent a car we found that getting around was better in a car.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,111 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Wyndham Garden at Palmas del Mar
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!