“3rd time here, not going again”

Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande
Manassas, Virginia
“3rd time here, not going again”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This was our third time at Wyndham rio mar, this time for a week. While booking two months prior to our stay I requested an ocean front room with the highest floor available. Checking in they were only able to give us the 3rd floor on the side the renovations were taking place. Room was OK but dated and in need of work. While the renovations can't be avoided as they are spending money to improve the hotel, it was very annoying (jackhammering up the tile floors) as they take place 9-5 M-F. In our group we had three rooms total and one wasn't ready until 7 pm that night.

New rules were also put in place at the hotel since our last stay two years ago which include: closing the hot tub and pool at 8, 9, 9:30 (whatever the security guards felt like. Originally I was told they were closed for chemicals, and then later that they were closed but we could put our feet in), closing the beach at 5, 4:30, 4 (whenever the staff felt like taking in the chairs and umbrellas). When I say "close" the beach, I mean they took their chairs and umbrellas back but they can't make you leave as it is a public beach. Concierge desk was zero help when I asked for a cab number as it should just be called the time share sales desk.

The beach and surrounding area is great, but we aren't going to stay here again which is a shame because it used to be a great resort.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the renovations (west side).
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank BrianFFXVA
RioMarPuertoRico, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience regarding your visit to our resort.

Allow us to preface with an apology for your disappointment, as this is certainly not indicative of the experiences our guests usually have at our property.

We do wish that we would have been able to reverse your impression prior to your departure, and hope you will still return. Rest assured, your generous feedback is crucial for us to improve in these areas, and has been addressed with the appropriate departments.

Thank you for the gift of feedback and the opportunity to address your concerns.

Danny Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,316)
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I booked a 4 night stay here and after 2 days I left. First they stuck me and my family in a room with a view of the parking driveway. I requested to be moved , which I was, but the next problem was demolition noise which started at 7am everyday and was constant until 4:30pm. There was no relaxation possible in my room , even trying to relax in the balcony was not possible with the noise and construction debris raining down on me. When we checked out early and tried explaining why we were leaving the employee behind the counter was not interested at all in listening to us, and in fact was mean and uncaring. Then she tried to charge us for 4 days of parking until I said something. Not only was the hotel not willing to reimburse me the time I did not spend there they charged me for 4 days of taxes on the room. I'm very disappointed to say the least

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Danielf51674
RioMarPuertoRico, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. We have planned and worked very hard to control the noise level. We require the renovation team to not begin any work that may cause noise until after 9am and cease at 5pm. Our guests have been very cooperative and understanding during this process.

Our ultimate goal is satisfied guests and we are truly sorry this was not your experience. I can assure you this is not the norm. We enjoy a high percentage of guests with good experiences who then decide to visit us again. I truly regret that we didn’t handle things better and have followed up with my team to ensure such a situation does not recur.

We look forward to your next visit.

Massachusetts
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We visit Puerto Rico a couple times a year and typically stay in the private Ocean Villas adjacent to the Rio Mar Hotel. Our last visit we encountered weather delays, and due to our rental being full we decided to stay one night at the main hotel.
We had a rental car from San Juan but chose to use the shuttle for trips to the casino or dinner. We often waited at the Ocean Villas for up to 30-40 minutes for the shuttle. It is supposed to pull through the villas every 15-20 minutes, but we found the shuttle would just drive right by. The day we transferred to the hotel was no exception. We waited over one hour for the shuttle before we decided to walk with our luggage to the hotel. We called several times, and resort staff also called, yet the shuttle was empty and running at the top of the hill when we arrived at the main hotel. Hotel staff was apologetic and was quick to upgrade our room with an early check-in (11am) which was a nice compensation for our aggravation.
Our room was located on the west wing of the hotel and was in good condition. There is construction going on in the hotel, and updates are needed but I was comfortable and happy with our room which was an ocean view. We rented a cabana for the day and was surprised that they had it stocked with snacks and refreshments. Next time we visit we will surely rent the cabana again! We had a great servers that served cocktails, fresh fruits, and spa facial cloths.
Our last night we ordered room service which was wonderful. You can order anything from any of the on site restaurants. Our food came fresh and the right temperature.
Of all the hotel restaurants I highly recommend Palio. We have eaten at all of the on site establishments, but now that we've become familiar with the island we like to venture off to Richies Cafe, La Familia Bakery, and El Verde BBQ for traditional island cuisine.
I love staying at the Rio Mar weather it is in an Ocean a Villa or in the main hotel. We've been three times in the last 12 months to this location and will surely return again soon. My only complaint would be the lack of communication such as shuttle and cabana rental staff. With such a large, active resort I can understand how these issues would arise, which is why I still give the Rio Mar a five star review.

Room Tip: There is construction going on in certain areas of the hotel. If you are a late sleeper you may want...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Eatex
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for this wonderful review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and had a chance to rent a cabana! I hope you decide to stay with us after the renovations are completed. Make sure to visit our website and sign-up for free for Wyndham Rewards, you can earn free stays!

Thank you for the 5-star rating!

Looking forward to your next visit,
Eunice, Louisiana
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Absolutely loved the hotel, beach and staff. We stayed 3 days prior to cruise, it was amazing. We arrived late from airport , we were greeted by the bell man, he did everything he could to get us settled. The room service and laundry service was reasonable and prompt. The beach and pool area was beautiful. Everything was clean,everyone friendly and professional. Plan on returning soon

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Wilkerson1551
Dear Valued Guest,

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for this wonderful review.

We are glad you especially enjoyed the beach and friendly service of our staff. On your next visit, I recommend you rent a cabana for a day. The cabana service includes: two welcome drinks, bottled water and assortment of sodas, fruit bowl, cheese display & a tray of assorted chips, smoothies at 3PM, cold towel service, magazines and misting spray.

We look forward to your next visit!

Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed February 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Wyndham Rio Mar for four nights in February 2014. There were several things that we really liked about the resort, but also several things that we thought were terrible. First, the good: The grounds of the resort are very beautiful. We opted for a "resort view" room, which had a balcony overlooking palm trees and a pond where iguanas were swimming and sunning themselves. Our room was adequately clean and I liked it that the whole thing had ceramic tile (as I have an aversion to dirty carpet). The bathroom was large and the bed, pillows, and towels were all clean and comfortable. The pool area is nice and very well maintained with separate baby, kiddie, and adult pools, all of which are spacious. The adjacent beach is filthy with litter, but as it is a public beach this is not really the fault of the Wyndham. We liked it that free WiFi was available, as we were able to stay apprised of changes to our flight home.
Next, the bad: The repeatedly advertised ten restaurants at the resort were mostly closed. Four of the restaurants never even opened the whole time we were there. One evening, after hiking in the rainforest, we opted to eat dinner at the Tiki Hut outside, and thought the food was surprisingly good and reasonably priced. The bartender told us jovially, "Come back tomorrow, all tequila drinks will be $5!" So we went back the next evening, following a day in Old San Juan. My husband ordered a margarita and was told, "We're closed." It was only 6 p.m., so apparently the restaurants just open and close whenever they wish.
I had also thought that while staying at a huge resort, there would be some nightlife there. This was not the case at all. I had hoped that maybe one of the restaurants would have a dance floor or something. Maybe one does, but we wouldn't know since the restaurants were mostly not open. If you don't want to go to the little casino, there is nothing at all to do past 9 pm, when the pools close.
More annoying than the closed restaurants was the construction that was going on. We had noticed on the website that there would be renovations occurring during our stay, but they were promised to be minimally noticeable and only between 9 am and 5 pm, with "water pressure fluctuations occurring" because of power washing. Our first morning at the resort, I went to take a shower at 9 am (mind you we had just arrived the night before and experienced a time change, so my brain thought it was only 8 am). I turned the spigot to find that we had no running water. Not even a trickle. My husband went to the front desk to tell them, and was informed that it was due to the renovations. There was no offer to switch us to a different room. So we couldn't brush our teeth or shower or even flush the toilet in our room. Don't you think that is sort of a necessity when you are staying in a hotel? We brushed our teeth and washed our faces in a public bathroom in the lobby. Fortunately when we returned from hiking in the rainforest at about 4 pm, we had running water. The renovations were also very noisy. Our last morning at the hotel, the noise began at 8:50 am and was so loud that my husband and I could barely speak to each other in the room.
I would also suggest reading all the fine print on the website before booking, as there were some charges that are stated there, but we had overlooked them. For example, parking is $15-$20 per night. I called Fajardo (which is 20 minutes from the resort) and was informed at checkout that it was a long-distance call, so I suppose don't assume that calls with the same area code will be considered "local."
Lastly, I am not sure if this was because our room was near the lobby, but there was consistent noise all night each night we were there. Fortunately I had thought to bring earplugs. I had to wear them every night to be able to sleep.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Susan M
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry your opinion is poor regarding your stay. On your next visit, I recommend you plan your meals for the days or weeks you will be staying. After checking in, pass by our Restaurant Reservations Desk and check the restaurants that will be open; that way, you will be able to enjoy each of our restaurants. We will review options to open one of our restaurants earlier. We are very fortunate that we operate all of our outlets and we can make changes as needed.

I do look forward to having a second chance to show how much we value you as a guest.

Ocean Isle Beach, North Carolina
Reviewed February 15, 2014

The last time my wife and I visited this location was when it was a Weston and we were happy we came back. The Wyndham is currently undergoing renovations on their hotel rooms with work beginning on the east wing. Construction was a little noisy but it is a good thing to see improvements going on. As we understand, Wyndham Resorts is in the process of taking over the entire facility and later this year, will be working on the west wing to convert those hotel rooms into suits with kitchen facilities. The staff was very polite and helpful during our entire stay. The ocean was very rough so we spent most of our time poolside and frequently visited the Tiki Bar for food and beverages. This is a well kept facility and things are only getting better.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank wayneh850
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully on your next visit, you'll be able to try our two championship golf courses, tennis courts or the spa.

Looking forward to providing you with excellent service once again!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 14, 2014

The resort is approx. 40 min from airport and far away from city life. Upon arriving at the hotel the staff at the front was very helpful, Rudy especially. The Lobby was very nicely done. It was entering the room that took me by surprise. It was one step up from Motel 6. Very outdated. The corner chair in the room was so stained I wouldn't even put my dirty close on. No mini fridge and very small balcony. The entire Hotel was under construction woke up to the sound of a jackhammer on the roof above my head at 7am on the first morning and scrapping ceramic tile from the floor in the room next door our last morning. They gouge you on pricing for everything in the hotel from $5.75 for a 10oz beer to $20 on sunscreen in the gift shop. Not sure how a family would be able to afford staying there. You have to take a cab to anywhere you want to go and they are not cheap.
I was quite disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Traci G
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the gift of feedback. Our ultimate goal is satisfied guests and we are truly sorry this was not your experience. I can assure you this is not the norm. We enjoy a high percentage of guests with good experiences who then decide to visit us again.

We are making improvements to our resort and I am sure our future guests will love the results. I hope you decide to visit us again and enjoy our renovated facilities.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rio Grande
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Gran Melia Golf Resort Puerto Rico

Been to Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!