The Rio Mar features an expansive soft-sand beach, beautifully landscaped grounds and an attractive interior. It was quiet and peaceful when we stayed there recently, and that's what my wife and I wanted.
We did get off to a rough start as our first room smelled musty, which no doubt is why the AC was turned up so high. Our second room, facing the west and a "drying" afternoon sun, was much better. Still, it was virtually impossible to keep dry towels. Must be the tropical locale between the ocean and a rain forest.
Food and drink were too pricey. Refrigerators are not standard in the rooms, so we couldn't lay in foodstuffs and drinks requiring same.
We didn't play on either of the resort's highly touted golf courses, but we'll assume they live up to their billing. Younger clientele looking for water sports offered by the resort may be disappointed. No parasailing or scuba diving/snorkeling or sailboat rides were available from the beach, although the concierge desk could probably fix you up somewhere nearby. Beach chairs and umbrellas are complimentary.
One other constructive complaint: If you walk the beach toward the east, you'll eventually run into a great deal of trash washed ashore. We don't know if Wyndham owns the undeveloped property along that stretch of beach, but a regular cleanup would be in order!
So Wyndham can do better. Except for the staff. They were outstanding!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled between El Yunque Rainforest and a mile stretch of secluded beach, the Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa is Puerto Rico's most exotic beach, golf and spa resort destination. 500 magnificent acres with spectacular ocean, rainforest and lush tropical views serve as backdrops to 400 newly renovated guestrooms and suites and an exclusive renovated 48,000-sq.-ft. Oceanfront Conference Center. Located on the N.E. Ecological Corridor of Puerto Rico's shoreline, the Wyndham Grand Rio Mar is a haven for fun, sun and forging memorable experiences. The new guestrooms exude traditional Puerto Rican architecture and feature thoughtful indigenous touches. The resort boasts two championship golf courses & tennis center, Mandara spa, 10 lounges and restaurants with award-winning cuisine, an exciting casino, two nature reserves and a guest experience program that encompasses the beauty and nature of its magical surroundings. And since Puerto Rico is a US Commonwealth, no passports or visas are required for US Citizens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rio Mar Beach Resort And Spa, a Wyndham Grand Resort
- Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa, a Wyndham Grand Hotel Rio Grande
- Wyndham Rio Grande
- Rio Del Mar Puerto Rico
- Rio Grande Wyndham
- Rio Mar Puerto Rico
- Westin Rio Mar Puerto Rico
- Wyndham El Yunque National Forest
- El Yunque National Forest Wyndham
- Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort Rio Grande