“A few bright lights but overall much worse than I expected”

Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed January 17, 2004

There were some good things, and some really poor things about this place during my stay. The location next to the beach is nice. You can walk from your room pretty much right onto the beach. And the view as you do so is breathtaking. If you go, though, ASK ABOUT OCEAN VIEW ROOMS when you reserve your room. When we got there, we asked and none were available. The higher floors are better--pedestrians can see right into the lower floor rooms if the curtains are open. The hotel was very clean and attractive, although the ventilation in the room hallways was sometimes really bad, to where the air would be warm, humid, and smell bad. Service ranged from rarely good to almost uniformly HORRIBLE. We frequently waited long times either to get our orders taken or to get the check. Twice, I waited for a check for over 20 minutes after the plates were cleared, and I eventually had to find managers to get them.
The waitstaff often refuse to make eye contact and gave me the impression that they felt like I was somehow "beneath" them. A few times we had genuinely nice people serve us or help us with our bags, and the concierge and front desk were always nice, but I cannot overstate this enough: be prepared for awful service more often than not. We were there a week and it was not just once or twice. The casino was also the same story--several times I waited over 20-30 minutes to get someone to come service the slot machine I played so it would pay out. Unless you get up and find someone, they will not come, despite the cameras in the ceiling. If you want free drinks, better sit at the table games. My wife and I sat at the slots for 2-3 hours on two separate nights and never saw a waitress, either. We were very surprised to find a brochure in the room that said that ALL casino patrons are entitled to free drinks after the experience of those two nights. We brought this up to the front desk and they comped us a breakfast buffet, which was nice. The food is sometimes pretty good; the Italian restaurant Palio was really good. But you are so isolated in the resort that if you do not have a rental car, you have to eat all your meals there. And believe me, they OVERCHARGE because they know you have no other options. A breakfast buffet is $18.50 per person. A dinner buffet (for average food--a "chicken parmesan" is boiled chicken breast, no breading, tomato sauce and a few shreds of parmesan cheese) is $30.00 per person. A virgin strawberry daquiri (essentially strawberries and ice) at the beach bar is $6.00. Another warning: the hotel bill will include gratuities that you are not told about. I had a $2.00 housekeeping gratuity per day tacked on, and this was after I had left some tips on the pillow because I didn't know about the "gratuity." I had the bellhop bring up our bags and tipped them when they did so. Lo and behold, I ended up with a separate $12.00 Bell Service Gratuity on my bill for that day that no one had ever told me about. Overall, I enjoyed the beach. But if there had been another resort nearby, I would definitely try it the next time rather than go here again.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (7,269)

Reviewed January 13, 2004

Took the kids (ages 3 and 1) on a five night stay to the Westin. We all had a good time. The kids loved the beach, pools, water slide and game room. My husband and I enjoyed the courteous and helpful staff, casino, tennis facility and babysitting services. Also, the setting was lovely.
The hotel and the beach are attractive and well maintained. We did not have trouble with bugs. Although we would agree with other reviewers that the food was somewhat disappointing, at least there was some variety in the restaurants and the breakfast buffet was terrific. Plus, the pina coladas were the best I ever had!

westchester, NY
Reviewed January 12, 2004

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York, NY
Reviewed January 5, 2004

Antiquated, poky rooms, appalling service, inflated prices and a remote location combine to make this one of the worst places I have ever been on holiday. [1] they put me in a tiny smoking room and claimed it was a "junior suite" [2] They forgot to book me a hire car and blithely told me that there were "none left" - you are a $75 cab ride from San Juan [3] I asked to have a table set up outside so I could have a romantic dinner with my companion - the restuarant manager asked for a $200 cash payment or should I say bribe. [4] The staff are incompetent, rude or both.

I could go on but it I will just say - STAY AWAY

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 5, 2004

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights after our wedding. We have been all over Puerto Rico and usually stay in Isla Verde (Intercontinental). We booked a mountain view room and were upgraded upon arrival to beach front. Excellent room, very clean and spacious.
The staff were very professional, grounds beautiful and beach awesome!
Food was good but expensive. I would recommend having a car (fee per day) to drive to El Yunque and Farjardo for sightseeing, or to have some good local cuisine! This was a nice change of pace for us and I would stay here again!

Reviewed December 17, 2003

Just returned home from one of the most enjoyable vacations of my life.
As a Christmas present, my parents invited me along on their trip to this resort. They had purchased the trip through Apple Vacatons for the dates of Dec 11th thru the 16th. They also spent the extra money to make it an "all inclusive" stay- meaning we ate and drank for free, and received discounts at the spa and golf courses. After reading most of the unhappy reviews on here, I was quite shocked. I don't understand how anyone could say anything bad. Upon arrival, they upgraded me to an oceanview room on the same floor my parents were on (the 7th floor- top floor and the best views). Every employee would go out of their way for us. The maid came twice a day. The bartenders would remember us and our drinks. The waitresses and waiters were more attentive than I could have hoped. I realize that if we didn't have all-inclusive, the priced would be more than I would expect, but it is a resort- you have to expect things to be more pricy than home. I do suggest that you get that package if possible, its easier just to sign your name, than have to carry cash around. The beach is amazing, as well as the pool. I was waiting to be attacked by bugs after reading everyone's reviews. I had no problem, even though I forgot my bug spray. I found an empty chair everyday at the pool and beach. I can't rave about this place enough, except if you are single, this isn't really a place to consider staying. I'm 25 and didn't really see anyone my age (who wasn't there on a romantic getaway with their boyfriend/girlfriend). I do plan on going back with a friend or two next December. I just need to start saving now.

1  Thank chine_1
Maryland
Reviewed December 14, 2003

I read all the reviews after I had booked my trip- they all correct:1.
Food- lousy and expensive2. room- decent3. beach- excellent sea but I was bitten by bugs everyday on the beach. The sand is brown not white4.
staff- generally goodOverall- I would not go back. We spent $25 per person for horrendous food. Choose a better place to stay there

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
InterContinental San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
Copamarina Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!