We went through a CheapCaribbean package that worked out well for us - 3 days and 4 nights. Resort is in a beautiful location about 45 minutes from San Juan. It is across from the rain forest and 30 minutes from the bioluminescence bay. Overall, we enjoyed our trip.
We ate at the hotel restaurants. The only one we would recommend is the sushi restaurant. The breakfast buffet was a bit lacking in quality, but had lots of options. The Estancia - the Argentinian steakhouse was a disaster for us - not recommended for the staff or the food. We had an unbelievably great dinner and lunch at the Richie Restaurant just outside the hotel complex – there is a shuttle – highly recommend. The Red Snapper stuffed with shrimp, lobster and calamari was superb and the staff were amazing.
While everything was nice, the high cost of food and drink at the resort( i know resort prices are high but really.. $7/beer- 10oz or $10 for wine or drinks (small glass with short pours)) for average quality was a bit disappointing. The room service was ok - it was 4pm before they made up our room for the day on the days we stayed there, but on check out day they were at our door at 10am. As to the resorts 2 pools and beach – we would recommend (fyi pools close at 9pm). There were always enough chairs and towels. So, while there are a few picky things here, our trip was very nice.
Just make sure to rent a car even though it is $20/day to park, so you don’t get stuck - we spent a half day in old San Juan and that was enough and we enjoyed going on the bio kayak trip ($55-65 if you drive yourself or $95 if need transport). Driving was easy in PR and the beach time was just lovely. We both agreed we could go back, but we would plan to eat off-site.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled between El Yunque Rainforest and a mile stretch of secluded beach, the Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa is Puerto Rico's most exotic beach, golf and spa resort destination. 500 magnificent acres with spectacular ocean, rainforest and lush tropical views serve as backdrops to 400 newly renovated guestrooms and suites and an exclusive renovated 48,000-sq.-ft. Oceanfront Conference Center. Located on the N.E. Ecological Corridor of Puerto Rico's shoreline, the Wyndham Grand Rio Mar is a haven for fun, sun and forging memorable experiences. The new guestrooms exude traditional Puerto Rican architecture and feature thoughtful indigenous touches. The resort boasts two championship golf courses & tennis center, Mandara spa, 10 lounges and restaurants with award-winning cuisine, an exciting casino, two nature reserves and a guest experience program that encompasses the beauty and nature of its magical surroundings. And since Puerto Rico is a US Commonwealth, no passports or visas are required for US Citizens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rio Mar Beach Resort And Spa, a Wyndham Grand Resort
- Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa, a Wyndham Grand Hotel Rio Grande
- Wyndham Rio Grande
- Rio Del Mar Puerto Rico
- Rio Grande Wyndham
- Rio Mar Puerto Rico
- Westin Rio Mar Puerto Rico
- Wyndham El Yunque National Forest
- El Yunque National Forest Wyndham
- Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort Rio Grande