“Anniversary Trip - Great Fun”

Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Reviewed February 8, 2013

After looking on-line and reading lots of conflicting reviews about several options, we chose the Rio Mar based on recommendation from friends who had lived in PR. We had a great time - enjoyed the resort and went on two excursions. The resort is only about 45 minutes drive from the airport - but feels like you are in the middle of nowhere.

The beach is beautiful and although not owned by the property - is virtually a private beach as access to it is difficult if you are not staying at the Rio Mar. We had sun and 80 plus degree weather everyday.

The two excursions we booked at the hotel were the ATV 'tour' of the El Yunque rain forest and the Bio-luminescent Bay over on Viaques island. Both were very unique experiences and my husband and I really enjoyed them. The ATV tour is really 'next' to the rain forest as the park allows only hiking. We did our tour on a morning when it rained - and we highly recommend going in the rain/mud - it was a blast. The Bio Bay tour was really cool - once you get to the Bay - just be prepared for an interesting but fun journey to get there.

On Friday night we ate in the main restaurant and saw a flamenco show - which was brief - three numbers - but the band and dancer were awesome!

The outside spaces were immaculate - the beach, adult pool and tiki bar were our favorite spots.

All the staff we met were friendly and helpful.

We experienced one issue with our room key that took about 20 minutes to resolve - something to do with the electronic card system that day as there were a few people with the same issue.

Also our room was nice but could have used a coat of paint and one or two of the light fixtures replaced (the type of wear and tear we expected for a tropical environment) but otherwise was clean and a great view of the ocean. We paid for 'ocean front' and it was - beautiful view and sound of the waves and coqui at night.

In terms of prices for drinks and food - expect to pay resort pricing. The couple we rode in from the airport with had stayed here several times before and asked the driver to stop at a convenience store at the turnoff from the main highway. They stocked up on water and alcohol for their week-long stay. We did not as we were only staying for a couple days. The prices were about what I had expected for a resort like this - you won't get $4 beers here.

Overall we had a great time together here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank mrsgeegs
RioMarPuertoRico, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Our goal as a team is to create memorable experiences for our guests. Thank you for the gift of feedback. We look forward to your next visit!

Danny Williams

Write a ReviewReviews (7,252)

Reviewed February 7, 2013

The moment we arrived at the grand entrance of the formerly Westin Hotel we realized that we were in good hands. From the friendly Frank who greeted us from our taxi to the Lobby Embassador Richie R., we always felt that the resort had done everything possible to help us enjoy the culture of their island country. We rented a car in the hotel for a day to visit Old San Juan and Luquillo, and got free overnight parking. The Chilean seabass at the La Estancia Restaurant was out of this world. We met quite a few nice, interesting people at the poolside and became friends. Hotel guests are polite and friendly; they go there to relax in the paradise. We got references from friends and used Highlander Tours for our rain forest and bio bay tours at a low price with a (almost) free trip to the airport for each tour. Our guide Alex drove us to Luquillo for lunch and let us played next to the La Maserate Beach at no additional cost on the way back from the rain forest. A nearby restaurant called Hacienda Carabali served excellent charassco steak and fish. The sand at the resort is not as white as other islands but the water is still turquoise and the beach is very clean. We have been to many Caribbean islands but we like P.R. the best so far. We enjoy the easy plane ride and that we do not need passports. We will definitely go back to this resort and visit the white-sand Fleminco Bay next time.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Bill J
Reviewed February 7, 2013

It was my opinion that we were to have a room with an ocean view, when instead we had a view of the rooms in the opposite wing. Our room had mold on the ceiling and big chunks of plaster gouged out of the wall. I would say it was in need of redecorating, but there was no decor. Amenities that were supposed to be in the room were not. the cost of the food well exceeded its quality. We were not even told there were two wings when we checked in. We were left on our own to find our way around the facility. Need I go on?

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
1  Thank Kathy R
RioMarPuertoRico, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We apologize for your disappointment and will review your comments with the appropriate departments to make the necessary improvements. Thank you for the gift of feedback. We look forward to your next visit.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
1  Thank Kevin R

Reviewed February 6, 2013

This being our second trip to the Rio Mar resort the thought process was that with 2 kids one and four years old if it ain't broke don't fix it. We went last year and were very pleased with pool and beach. The proximity of the beach to the hotel is very convenient. The staff generally friendly and helpful. However, during our second stay last month we ran into some unsuspected and unusual problem. We ordered in every night given the age of our kids. The first night they brought the food on a table, not one hour later as we were trying to put the kids to sleep we received a knock at the door. It was one of the service people asking for the table back, I was like, very bizarre but next time if you need the table please give us heads up so we can just put it outside the room and you won't bother us while we're trying to get the kids to sleep. So, the second night they bring the food i asked them whether they needed to tray back and they said no no no. not believing them i placed it outside the door anyway just to cover my bases. about 1 hour later when the kids were almost out we get a phone call asking us for the tray without even having someone come to check whether or not it was already outside. Ok, so now the 3rd night takes the cake, they deliver the food and I'm asking the service person what's the deal and what happened, they once again ,say no problem I will speak to whoever. I like ok good cant happen again right. Well this time we held on to the tray, the kids are out and my wife and I are on the balcony having desert. I finish my desert and go back into the room and who should be lingering in the foyer? A hotel service guy looking to pick up the tray. I mean are you out of your mind? With growing crime in PR, and my kids asleep the moron had the audacity of actually wAlking into our room. I mean really. I will never come back here regardless of the pool / beach whatever. Very unsettling and annoying. The front desk did nothing when I went to complain, clearly not grasping the seriousness of the issue.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Lmoro78
RioMarPuertoRico, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I was looking for a fun and relaxing way to celebrate my birthday so I was excited to see the Groupon Deal for this hotel. The pictures online showed magnificent grounds and beautiful scenery and the hotel definitely delivered.

I did, however, have a problem with my room. The first room I checked into was VERY humid. So much so that there was water pooling on the ground and the couch, bed and linens all felt very moist. When I called the front desk, they told me it was due to having opened the door to the balcony (ummm. . . no, not feasible) and that housekeeping would come to mop the area. A bit over 30 minutes later, no one had shown up. I went to the front desk, spoke with someone else and got the room changed. The second room was better. It was spacious, had a walk in closet but was still dated.

The beach at the hotel is wonderful and the casino was alot of fun. I also had the opportunity to play tennis and really enjoyed the courts.

I do have to say that what I was most impressed with was the food. Usually hotel restaurants are overpriced with poor quality. The food here was overpriced but it was still very tasty.

Due to lack of interest in the excursion that I wanted to do (the fluorescent bay), I ended up not leaving the premises for the 4 days I was there. The taxi prices were very expenses. Definitely consider renting a car if you want to be able to do excursions without relying on other guests to meet the quota. (Though I will say previous reviews stated parking is difficult)

Overall, it was a great value for a groupon and I would definitely visit again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank s y

Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is our second time at this hotel, the last was three years ago and I was a little worried given some of recent reviews but I was pleasantly surprised that it was still very lovely. It is easy to get good deals for nice rooms here ( under 200 a night including extensive buffet breakfast which certainly covers lunch also). The only negative is a very slow check in - otherwise things were good. For more than one person it is definitely worth it to rent a car ( about 120 including taxes for four days) which allows one to drive to sites and restaurants outside the grounds and pick up snacks, sodas, sundries etc. If you are going on excursions ( we did bio bay tour) it was 40 dollars less a person to drive ourselves there. Some of the restaurants have early bird specials from 6-7 which was good for us and Pailo one we tried was excellent- both for service and food.
Pool areas were lovely and not overcrowded, beach was nice also.
One warning- double check typed driving directions from concierge desk which were often a little off- ask them to check against a map. Other than that a wonderful trip once again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Copamarina Beach Resort & Spa
Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort

Been to Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!