After looking on-line and reading lots of conflicting reviews about several options, we chose the Rio Mar based on recommendation from friends who had lived in PR. We had a great time - enjoyed the resort and went on two excursions. The resort is only about 45 minutes drive from the airport - but feels like you are in the middle of nowhere.
The beach is beautiful and although not owned by the property - is virtually a private beach as access to it is difficult if you are not staying at the Rio Mar. We had sun and 80 plus degree weather everyday.
The two excursions we booked at the hotel were the ATV 'tour' of the El Yunque rain forest and the Bio-luminescent Bay over on Viaques island. Both were very unique experiences and my husband and I really enjoyed them. The ATV tour is really 'next' to the rain forest as the park allows only hiking. We did our tour on a morning when it rained - and we highly recommend going in the rain/mud - it was a blast. The Bio Bay tour was really cool - once you get to the Bay - just be prepared for an interesting but fun journey to get there.
On Friday night we ate in the main restaurant and saw a flamenco show - which was brief - three numbers - but the band and dancer were awesome!
The outside spaces were immaculate - the beach, adult pool and tiki bar were our favorite spots.
All the staff we met were friendly and helpful.
We experienced one issue with our room key that took about 20 minutes to resolve - something to do with the electronic card system that day as there were a few people with the same issue.
Also our room was nice but could have used a coat of paint and one or two of the light fixtures replaced (the type of wear and tear we expected for a tropical environment) but otherwise was clean and a great view of the ocean. We paid for 'ocean front' and it was - beautiful view and sound of the waves and coqui at night.
In terms of prices for drinks and food - expect to pay resort pricing. The couple we rode in from the airport with had stayed here several times before and asked the driver to stop at a convenience store at the turnoff from the main highway. They stocked up on water and alcohol for their week-long stay. We did not as we were only staying for a couple days. The prices were about what I had expected for a resort like this - you won't get $4 beers here.
Overall we had a great time together here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled between El Yunque Rainforest and a mile stretch of secluded beach, the Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa is Puerto Rico's most exotic beach, golf and spa resort destination. 500 magnificent acres with spectacular ocean, rainforest and lush tropical views serve as backdrops to 400 newly renovated guestrooms and suites and an exclusive renovated 48,000-sq.-ft. Oceanfront Conference Center. Located on the N.E. Ecological Corridor of Puerto Rico's shoreline, the Wyndham Grand Rio Mar is a haven for fun, sun and forging memorable experiences. The new guestrooms exude traditional Puerto Rican architecture and feature thoughtful indigenous touches. The resort boasts two championship golf courses & tennis center, Mandara spa, 10 lounges and restaurants with award-winning cuisine, an exciting casino, two nature reserves and a guest experience program that encompasses the beauty and nature of its magical surroundings. And since Puerto Rico is a US Commonwealth, no passports or visas are required for US Citizens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rio Mar Beach Resort And Spa, a Wyndham Grand Resort
- Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa, a Wyndham Grand Hotel Rio Grande
- Wyndham Rio Grande
- Rio Del Mar Puerto Rico
- Rio Grande Wyndham
- Rio Mar Puerto Rico
- Westin Rio Mar Puerto Rico
- Wyndham El Yunque National Forest
- El Yunque National Forest Wyndham
- Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort Rio Grande