Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort
$920
TripAdvisor
Luquillo Sunrise Beach Inn(Luquillo)(Great Value!)
$120
$334
Courtyard
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Beachfront
Melia Coco Beach(Rio Grande)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Beachfront
Ocean Pearl(Luquillo)
TripAdvisor
7,367 results
All reviewsmarbella restaurantiguana feedingpuerto ricoiguana pubtiki hutrainforest viewadult poolfamily poolrented a carold san juanocean suiteself parkinglobby barconcierge deskocean frontminute drivegreat beach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 15, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
RioMarPuertoRico, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed at the Rio Mar for one night on December 2nd, and it was a brief and okay stay – my room was 2113, king bed with large windows overlooking the garden area, and an oceanview balcony. I think I heard that the hotel is being remodeled, which is a good thing because the room that I stayed in was quite dated, yet it was big and roomy, which is a plus for me. The bed and linens were comfortable and I rested well.

The one strange thing was that the door to the balcony was a full glass door with a curtain over it – kinda like a glass door that you would see as an entrance to a store. Really weird! The balcony was decent with an ocean view that was sort of blocked by the tall trees and a gazebo area, but you can still see part of the ocean. The patio furniture needed to be replaced, so I hope that will happen with the update.

The bathroom was decent and roomy, as well, but could use updating. Also, there was rust around the safety bar and one of my bath towels was torn and should have been retired as a rag a long time ago. The room safe was on the floor in the closet perched on some strange kind of pedastal thingy. I did not have a need to use it while there.

The really neat touch was the huge gingerbread house in the lobby near the check in desk. The aroma of gingerbread throughout was amazing, and the gingerbread house itself was pretty cool. Wonderful touch at Christmas time! The free gingerbread cookies weren't very tasty though. The staff was pleasant and helpful during our stay.

Our rooms were not ready when we arrived, so they held our luggage and we headed for the pool and beach. The pool area was nice, as was the beach area – limited seating and cabanas by the pool, but plenty of lounge chairs and space on the beach. Our luggage was supposed to be taken to our rooms when they were ready, but when I got to my room, my luggage was not there. My friend’s luggage was in her room however. I made a quick call, and my luggage was delivered.

One other thing that was annoying, which is something I guess that the resort can’t help, is the bugs that were biting us – the "no see ems". I had never heard of them before, but apparently they are common in Puerto Rico. I have since learned that they are called biting midges, and should not be confused with sand flies, but they actually do feel like invisible biting flies. While we were at an outside event that night, the staff did provide insect repellant in an effort to give us some relief. The atmosphere in the garden area at night is very nice.

My friend and I went to the casino late that night, and had a pretty good time. While the casino is not that big, it wasn’t hard to find a free machine. There was a band playing while we were there, and they were very entertaining.

If I were to return to San Juan, I probably would not return to the Rio Mar. I’ve been there, seen it, and I would more than likely stay somewhere different to have a different experience. Also, the resort is also quite a ride from San Juan, maybe 45 minutes or so. However, it is close to El Yunque rainforest, if you plan to visit there. It would be nice to see how their renovations turn out though. Overall, a decent property, but the rooms definitely need updating...

bb

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank bayou babe
RioMarPuertoRico, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We apologize for your disappointment and will review your comments with the appropriate departments to make the necessary improvements. Thank you for the gift of feedback. We look forward to your next visit.

Warm regards,
Danny Williams

Reviewed January 14, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed during the Christmas Eve holiday. The hotel staff was very helpful and the beach staff was wonderful. The grounds, the rooms, and the ammenities were nicely kept and even the cheaper rooms facing the mountains had a beautiful view. "El Yunque", home to the famous rainforest, was right in front of our balcony. We had a lovely stay and would definitely come back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Our goal as a team is to create memorable experiences for our guests. Thank you for the gift of feedback. We look forward to your next visit!

Warm regards,