“the staff was fabulous, every single person. the rooms are...”

Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Rio Grande

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,305)
Voorhees, New Jersey
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is a top notch resort. I had my breath taken away just from the sight pulling in. The manager (I wish that I could remember her name) came out and greeted my kids who could not believe how awesome this place was. The hotel is gorgeous and no expense spared. They have everything there - food was incredible, amenities galore, just amazing. I took the children to the rainforest in the morning and the hotel beach and pools in the afternoon. I drove up to Old San Juan and back to the hotel at night. All very convenient. I washed the clothes across the road at a gas station washer dryer place. I even went to the outlets in the am and the hotel beach in the afternoon. It was an amazing trip.

Room Tip: Any room in this place is a great room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Ernesto V, Manager at Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay at Puerto Rico, and for sharing your important feedback.

Again, I appreciate your feedback, and hope we do have a chance to welcome you back to our beautiful resort.

Director
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Nothing went well for our family. Nobody's room was what we asked for. ( we have 13 family members, 5 room) also my room was not made ready until 10:00 pm after 4 complaints with staff and management. Don't believe this 4star rating. Food was adequate at best, extremely costly ($24.00) for breakfast alone. Far away from anything to do. Beach was just o.k. I would NEVER visit a Wyndham hotel again.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

I would like to apologize for the inconveniences encountered checking in to your suite. We are consistently reviewing guest feedback and a review like these help us continue improving our services as we aim to exceed the expectations of our guests as we know everyone expects an exceptional service experience when staying with Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa.

Director
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I was a little let down by the experience, considering the cost. You are definitely over charged at every corner. Initially, I thought $850 was a good deal for 4 nights, but once you tack on their service charges, tax, and all the below, it ballooned to a little over $2000. Knowing what I know now, I'd recommend skipping here and trying an all-inclusive.

On site activities - They claim they offer biking and nature trails, but they have none on-site. You have to go offsite for either one.

Internet - there is wired Internet access in the rooms, which is $14.95 a day. However, if you book directly through their website, they will remove the charges when you check out. I brought my own pocket router for wifi in the room. The lobby area has free wi-fi available.

Pools – The pools are well maintained. There is one dedicated for families w/children and one for adults only. Early in the mornings, the security folks do a good job of clearing out kids, but I noticed once you get into the afternoons, it can become a problem.

Views – All views are pretty amazing here, whether it’s of the beach or the rainforest/mountains.

Spa - This one was pretty outrageous to me. Their prices are already high, but when you read the fine print on their menu, you find that add an additional 25% charge to the prices they list (18% service fee, and 7% taxes). You’re also encourage to leave a tip….um, sure…

Concierge – There is no added value from these folks. We were here for our 1st anniversary and I wanted to get some flowers put in the room for my wife. The best they could do was give me a business card of a local florist. Really????

Rooms – The rooms are clean, if not a little dated. My one complaint is that we had a door between our room and the next which offers no insulation from noise. We could hear everything and at times, it was hard to sleep in. My wife was close to asking for a new room it was so bad one day.

Beach – The beach is beautiful. Since it’s a public beach, the resort takes no ownership of keeping it maintained.

Food:

La Estencia - this was an Argentinian style grill located at the golf course clubhouse. You can take a shuttle which runs between the hotel and there every 15 minutes. The restaurant has a nice upscale feel to it. For starters, we had salad, queso w/chorizo, and Argentinian onion soup. For our main courses, we had skirt steak w/mushrooms, and mushroom ravioli. For desert, we had their molten pecan brownie w/vanilla ice cream and caramel stuffed crepes. Aside from the queso, I give all of our food high marks. The service was just okay, nothing bad or spectacular. I definitely recommend eating here.

Shima - Shima is their attempt at Asian Fusion and is directly located in the hotel on the first floor. We started off with two appetizers - steamed dumplings & and a small Asian style salad with panko encrusted tofu, napa cabbage, mandarin orange, and spinach. The dumplings were fantastic , but salad was a bit under seasoned and bland. For our main courses I had lobster kung pao and my wife had some kind of surf & turf roll. The lobster was very very overcooked and as a result was slightly burnt/tough. The fried rice we each received with our meals was not fried, but rather boiled with some soy and scrambled egg thrown in. The roll my wife received was equally abysmal. The tempura shrimp was ice cold, the steak on top was nothing more than deli slices of beef. The rice for the roll was mushy. In this case, I would only give good marks for their dumplings. Everything else was either mediocre or an abomination. I highly recommend avoiding this place. You can find better Asian food in the frozen food section of a grocery store.

Marbella – Pretty decent value (still pricey) when compared to their other restaurants. We ate dinner here once and had breakfast several times. The service at times can be unbearably slow, unless you opt for one of their buffets. Our dinner/breakfast costs were typically in the $50-$60 dollar range.

Palio – Palio is their Italian restaurant. I had their shrimp risotto, which was pretty bad. My wife went with their fixed price menu, which was an amazing deal for $38. She had a Cesar Salad, Veal Osso Bucco w/mushroom risotto, and a desert (which I can’t remember). The Osso Bucco and risotto were amazing. I notice other reviewers giving this high marks, and I can see why. The problem I had with my meal was that the shrimp were not fresh and very under seasoned.

Lobby bar/lounge –Perhaps the best value can be found going to their happy hour for $5 drink specials between 4pm and 7pm. Also, I highly recommend their chicken soup and appetizer platter (combined, they are still under $20 and make a nice meal). Service from some of the bartenders is pretty slow.

ERL cafe by casino - Small little counter which offers to order pizzas, premade sandwiches, cookies/muffins/drinks, deserts, and fresh made smoothies. Decent value and the pizzas are pretty good.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richard M
Ernesto V, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 11, 2013

Danny Williams
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My spouse surprised me with a 50th Birthday trip! Upon arrival at the resort, we were warmly greeted by Rudy at the consierrage and Rebecca at the front desk. Check in took forever though, wereinit the time of day and being a wednesday. The room requested by my husband was ocean-view. They put us in a room right above the "kiddie pool" that was infested with mold and no ocean-view. The staff did relocate us to a 5th floor room, certainly more acceptable. After dining at Shimas,(exceptionally Good) we went back to our room to retire for the evening. The bed was dirtty and sheets were sandy and gritty. Housekeeping eventually got there at 11:30 and did a linen change. Our requests for an in room refridgerator were met as well. Did get exellelent service from the staff. Had a bottle of wine delivered the next day and champange and cheese/fruit tray as well! on my birthday. The grounds are beautiful and well manicured. Pool is nice and accessable to lounge chairs. Loved the H2O aerobics daily! Resturaunts were overpriced and had an issue with the wait staff @ Palio. Dined there the first evening - 150 for two. Dave tipped the server at 19 percent...went back on Sunday and had the server look at us and turned the other way and exited the dining room. Only reason was most likely the weak tip, even though it was more than customary. Totally insulted over this issue, and worse was the wild dog that came up to the window while we were dining...Cute dog, very distracting though, having this little guy looking at you while you eat. They did comp our meal after making an issue regarding the experience. Think I will wait to go back after renovations...the resort needs a facelift.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank J E S

Again, I appreciate your feedback; the resort will soon undergo a multi million dollar renovation, and hope we do have a chance to welcome you back to our beautiful resort.

Danny Williams
williamsburg, va
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Our family of 4 checked in on New Year's Day. After reading the reviews, we were not overly surprised by what we found. We did get a suiite, which was oceanfront and next to the 'quiet pool' which was a great location. The best thing we did was take a taxi to the local supermarket and stock up on beverages (a single beer at the resort is $6.50, you can purchase a 12 pack for $9.00 at the market), breakfast food and sandwich stuff. While I enjoy indulging on vacation, I don't like being gouged. We estimated we saved $600 by taking a $30 taxi ride and spending $100 at the market (prices are cheaper there than in the states!) I agree that the rooms need updating, but they were sufficient. There is a nice market with bagels, sandwiches and pizza if you don't want to sit down for a meal. Buffet Breakfast for my 2 teenage boys was $50. There was one evening where only 1 of the restaurants was open on the whole resort. We found 'Richie's Cafe' off premise and they will come pick you up at no charge. A great view, great service and good food! We actually ate there twice. We have stayed at El Conquistador in the past and did not find that any better regarding value than what we found at Rio Mar. Regardless, to leave 30 degree weather for mid-80's and sunny for 5 days was worth it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,141 reviews
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Wyndham Garden at Palmas del Mar
Las Casitas Village, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!