“winter vacation”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
3  Thank TONYTDurham
Ernesto V, Manager at Margaritaville Vacation Club Wyndham Rio Mar, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Write a ReviewReviews (7,250)

Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Rio Mar Beach Resort in Spa in Grand Rio on November 18. I had booked the reservation through Travelocity at a special prepaid rate of $152. Upon first arriving I was wowed by the resort grounds & golf course (which look to be time share or ownership condos). The hotel has valet service, which we were not interested in, so we parked to the side and went in to check in. The lobby door enters with a view facing the pool grounds and the ocean. I thought "Wow we got our money's worth here!" However, the front desk line was huge and only one man appeared to be helping people; and this took forever. Other staff appeared to be working but saw no need to assist. I waited for over a half hour before we reached the desk. We were told our room was not ready yet. He asked for my cell # and told me I was next in line for a room he would call us when the room was finished being cleaned. We waited in the lobby for about an hour. Hotel wifi was unreliable. We then walked the grounds for another hour. We decided to leave and get lunch in Grand Rio. After returning (about three hours from the time we arrived) I stood in line again to ask if our room was ready. We were told it was (although no phone call was received). The room itself was nice; marble flooring, clean decor. The room was rather noisy. I opened up the patio door and looked out to find we were next to the valet entrance, where buses and shuttles were pulling up picking up and dropping off people. I called the front desk and asked if another room was available. The attendant said she would talk to someone and get back to me within 10 minutes. We waited...and waited. No call. We eventually had to leave, as we had reservations for an excursion that evening and had to go. We left with our stuff. When we came back at 11pm that evening, I asked the attendant if there was a note that we had requested a different room. She said another room was available and assigned it to us. The room was similar, but this one was on the other end of the drive. The bed was comfortable. The next morning we used the hotel pool for about an hour. The pool is very nice and the pool hut staff was friendly. This, in my opinion, is the best feature of the hotel. The beach was nice, but the waves appeared somewhat dangerous. Connected to the hotel is a casino and shops on the way to the underground parking lot. These areas are a bit run down and could use some updating; not as nice as the rest of the hotel. Overall, for the price the hotel and pool is nice; but the service could be much better. (Although we had similar customer service experiences elsewhere on the island, so it may be a regional attitude...)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MNSandSeeker

Thank you for your recent stay at Puerto Rico, and for sharing your important feedback.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. I can assure you that your comments will not go unheard and we will be reviewing your experiences with the different departments mentioned to understand what can be done to ensure it doesn’t happen again to other guests.

We are consistently reviewing guest feedback and a review like these help us continue improving our services as we aim to exceed the expectations of our guests as we know everyone expects an exceptional service experience when staying with Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa.

Again, I appreciate your feedback, and hope we do have a chance to welcome you back to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed for 5 days in October in a corner suite and loved it. Be prepared for the following: room isn't ready at check in time; many restaurants at the resort are closed in the off-season, so getting something besides a quick sandwich at a deli/breakfast stand can be a challenge. We had read reviews about restaurants being closed, but thought it would be fine for us since we rented a car. Biggest piece of advice: don't rent a car in PR. Driving is nuts, streets are crazy with no signs and people driving both directions on a one way. We couldn't find any of the restaurants we had planned on driving to; even with a GPS.

If we go back to PR we will go in season and get a taxi for any destinations outside the resort.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite overlooking the pool and beach. It was wonderful.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mrsphilbrook

I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences encountered during your stay. I can assure you that I will be reviewing your experiences with the respective departments to see what measures can be taken to prevent these things from happening again.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Great beach! Beautiful grounds! Located near the national rain forest!

Our second visit to this hotel. We were hesitant, but thought we'd try it again. Our standard room needed updating. The wireless internet connection was very poor and is very expensive - $14.99 per day per device. Watch out when you shower, the water temperature and pressure changes from minute to minute. A hot shower can instantly become a cold trickle. The TV remote didn't work. The food at the hotel is mediocre and very expensive. Much better (and cheaper) meals can be found in both local restaurants and in San Juan. We rented a car which gave us a great deal of flexibility. Valet parking is $21 per day.

Puerto Rico is nice but we'll be looking for another hotel.

The staff is accommodating. The Rio Mar gives the allusion of a first class hotel but it's not.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room near an elevator, the lobby or the casino. You won't be able to sleep.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank WestchesterMike

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I booked the trip through Travelocity as a package because the price was good and the reviews on that site were fine. It wasn't a bad experience, it just didn't knock my socks off. I will say that the shining light for the review is the people, they were amazing, every single person I met went above a d beyond, although, if you know anyone from Puerto Rico, that isn't surprising.

I paid for an Ocean front suite and when I arrived the room was good enough, clean and bright, but it was right over the lobby veranda so when people went out to smoke it wafted right into my room. I think they should reserve that room for smokers and so there wouldn't be an issue. It was also quite loud as people held normal conversation and the music went well into the night. They claimed it would be done by midnight, but for the two nights I was in the room that was no where near the case.

I was moved late into the third day and had a very nice suite with Ocean front and a quiet side of the hotel.

The rooms were good, but a bit dated on the level of maintenance, it seems the same story throughout the hotel. The pool area had tiles missing and the cabanas and chairs were somewhat moldy, but not horrific where sitting on them would be gross.

There is plenty of activity and especially for kids (I didn't bring any). There are lots of games and events centered around the pool area and with the water slide, and beach right there, its a kids paradise.

The adult pool is right next to the kids so it's not as quiet as I personally like, but again, just ok. There are lots of mature trees and cabanas so if you like shade, you are golden, if you like sun, it will take getting out there early (9) to insure you have a spot with the sun.

The hotel is about a 45 minute drive from San Juan and the cost for a taxi is about $70 to $75. If you are looking to go to the rainforest, this is a great spot as its right across from a main entrance. Renting a car isn't a bad idea, I didn't, so I don't know how much parking per day is, but add that into your cost benefit analysis.

There are many restaurants, and overall the food is pretty good, if not standard fare. The sushi restaurant, Shimas was exceptional as was La Estancia, the Argentinian Steak house.

The Spa was really good, very relaxing and I had several services there. It is always busy, though, so book early.

I hope I'm not giving the impression it was bad, it wasn't, it was just fine, but only fine. Good value certainly for the price.

Cheers!

Room Tip: If you have family, being near the activities is a great plan, if you are looking for peace and quie...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Stone D

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Our oceanfront room was lovely and had a great view. The price, $260/night, was a good value for the week between Christmas and the New Year. The meals in the restaurants were fine; Shimas was the best. The price of the meals was typical resort prices. We had excellent meals outside the resort; La Estacion in Fajardo had superb barbeque and mofongo. This was our second stay at the Rio Mar. Our only complaint was the wait time at the front desk; the help at the concierge desk was quick. All of the employees were pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Chicago144

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I want to say that this was our first resort experience ever, so we enjoyed our stay a lot. The people are very nice and helpful, the concierge provided us with detailed maps for places to visit. The pool and beach area is also very nice. We were upgraded to a rain forest overlooking room which was very beautiful. Rooms are very clean also.

However, there are some major issues with the resort. There is something wrong with the showers as all the other reviewers have also pointed out. I think that anything with a 4star rating should provide a fridge and microwave in the room. Since you will be eating out a lot, you have to throw out a lot of food since there is no fridge in the room. Also, they need to provide free wifi in the room.

We ate at Shimas and Palios (both are very expensive but the food was very good in both restaurants). But we rented a car for our entire stay and ended up eating out most of the time, the kiosks in luquillo are a short drive from the hotel and are much more reasonable and authentic.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Wyndham Garden at Palmas del Mar
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Margaritaville Vacation Club Wyndham Rio Mar? Share your experiences!