Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Loved it!”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I'm not sure where all the bad reviews come from? I think people expect more than what they pay for. My husband and I had a LivingSocial deal that we cashed in on. When I travel, I do extensive research to make sure we get the best deal out there and that the hotel is up to par. I didn't with this until after I paid for the deal. I was very hesitate to stay here due to all the bad reviews. Leading up to our trip, the reviews seemed to get better which was a definite relief for my husband and I. We took the recommendation on getting a rental car and upon arrival to the resort, we were greeting by smiling faces and people happy to help us. We arrived around 3 pm and we soon went to the check-in counter - not wait at all. We were seen immediately by Angela. Who informed us that we were to get a Rainforest view but since it's slow at the hotel, she'll upgrade us at no extra cost to a ocean view room but unfortunately our room wasn't available yet. We left our phone number with her and figured we'd get a call in about an hour. Husband and I toured the pool area, walked around the lobby and settled in for a few drinks at the Lobby Bar. Yes the drinks are super expensive! At 4:15, I went to see Angela to see if our room was ready, she had the phone up to her ear and dailing my phone number. We walked to our room (7072) and we were amazed at our view! Top floor center of the resort. Breathtaking view. We were floored. The room was very comfortable, beds were amazing. My only complaint was that there wasn't enough towels the first night and the water pressure was low when other guests were taking showers. Otherwise, our room was cleaned every day at around noonish, we had enough towels throughout the week and we just knew to take showers before 5 or after 6 to get decent water pressure.

Parking was expensive at $15.00 a day but we knew that and as well as the hefty resort tax per day.

The food and service at El Estancia was fantastic! They even did a little Tango and sang during your meal which was fun.

Marbella's buffet was ok, nothing to brag about and sort of pricey for what you get. We ordered off the menu for breakfast a few days and it was really good (egg benedict)! We also had lunch there one afternoon and it was great!

Palio was another amazing meal and our waiter was so much fun! I wish I could remember his name.

On Tuesday, Shimas has half priced sushi which was wonderful for me! The food was fresh and tasted great.

The small cafe near the casino was terribly overpriced for coffee, over $8.00 for two tall cups. ridiculous in my opinion.

We took advice from other travelers to grab food, drinks and a cooler at Walgreens. That certainly came in handy. We even asked for a fridge which is $10.00 per day that we got complimentary. Score!!

Parking was bit of a walk but who cares, you're on vacation with no deadlines so it didn't bother us at all.

We also golfed 9 holes and had a ton of fun - the course is in impeccable shape.

All in all the resort was lovely - the lobbey was beautiful and the grounds were beautiful! Yes the facade needs to be painted and the carpets in the halls need to be replaced. But really, if that is what matters to you while you are on vacation than you need to stay elsewhere - I hear the Ritz Carlton is nice! The staff was courtesy and helpful. We would definitely stay here again if another deal comes up to good to pass up.

Thanks for a wonderful week.

Room Tip: Definitely rent a car. Grab a cooler, drinks and snacks at Walgreens. Request room 7072, it was gr...
4 Thank Cheryl S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,346)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed September 29, 2012

One night stay at Rio Mar, was fairly priced, facilities are a bit dated but kept clean. Food was pricey, the rooms really old and simple decor, felt like I was staying at my grandmas house on a spare bedroom. Overall good for the price.

• Stayed September 2012
Florida
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Nice Resort, beautiful grounds, nice pools, the private beach is very nice, comfortable beds. Bad things you have to pay for the parking $15.00/day. Food is very expensive. Buy a cooler at Walgreen, go to the supermarket and buy some drinks and snacks. If you rent a car you would be able to eat at some other restaurant in the area. Do not go to the king seafood ever. It is very expensive and the food is very bad.

1 Thank laamapola
San Juan, PR
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stay very often on hotels in Caribbean and Florida due to my job. I can certainly compare hotels and as of now ( I have been travelling for 4 years) this has been the worst experience in a hotel ever. First check in line, we were only 3 people in the line and I stood there for almost 45 minutes, then room has a nice bath however I don't know of what was made the top floor but I heard all the steps of the guests in the room over me at morning, afternoon and at night. There was no ice machine working in my floor, prices were not high, but extremely high for even a coffee.I have been in expensive hotels in Bahamas and not even there prices were so high for the things you want or need to buy in the hotel. Paid movies never worked in my room. If you don't use valet parking, also very expensive, and you choose the park in the garage plan at least 7 to 8 minutes from the car to the front desk since you have to wait for the parking elevator aprox 5 minutes. And for the closing, I did check out one hour before in order to avoid long lines, we were 4 in the line and I spent 45 minutes also for check out. You have other choices nearby this one should be avoided.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank JGon
WyndhamEXEC, General Manager at Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent visit.
We deeply apologize for missing the mark regarding service and your disappointment with our facilities. We take your observations very serious, and as such, the issues you point out will be been addressed accordingly. Your experience is certainly not representative of the Wyndham brand and any further feedback from you is most welcome. We regret your impression regarding prices and are working to alter this perception.

We do hope you will reconsider and return, so we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back, and the opportunity to reverse your initial impression. We look forward to treat you to the uncompromising service that our discerning guests have grown accustomed to.

Thank you for the gift of feedback and the opportunity to address your concerns.

Danny Williams
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We traveled dates: 7/16-7/23
Room: the room was absolutely humid the minute we walked in. We called maintenance and they had to change the filter bc it was THAT bad! We had to call for new pillows almost every day bc they must’ve had issues with the air, the pillows were so damp and smelled really bad, but again, that wasn’t a big deal, it was just to sleep a few hours and get out of the room! The restroom was ok, the bathtub was gross, needed some major cleaning, but then again, we were only showering and leaving anyway, so I dealt with it. I’m usually really picky, but I came to realize like other people would say in their reviews, you’re not paying top dollar and a top of the line suite, so why let those things get in the middle of your vacation?

Parking: the most horrible thing ever! We hardly got to park in the garage, parking was expensive as it is, but whether you park outside or in the garage you have to pay your $15 PLUS TAX! So be ready for your bill at the end of the week! The garage, especially at night, gets taken up really quick due to people coming in for the casino at the hotel-which is not that great! We used valet on a Saturday night bc there was no more parking available, Sunday morning when we were fixing to leave for the day, our car had been damaged, so we wasted half our day waiting for the police report and to get everything settled, they advised us we wouldn’t have to pay anything, they would cover it, well that was a lie, we had to pay $500 for the damages with enterprise and that would have to get refunded to us by valet, it’s been over 8 weeks, and we have yet to see the refund and enterprise to get paid for the total damages bill they have sent my husband. This has been the worse experience ever, to top it off, they are not a part of the hotel, so the hotel does nothing to help you on that end. Due to this, I would hate to use this hotel again.

Food: is delicious and very expensive! We paid about $100 for both, the times that we did eat at the hotel, otherwise, we went out to eat, you just have to be careful, it’s not such a good idea to be out late at night, apparently the crime rate in PR has gone up. Their bar is very expensive also! So we just drove down to the WM that’s about 30mins from there and got snacks and alcohol-yes, WM in PR sales liquor! (We only get beer and wine in Dallas WM’s).

Overall, our stay was amazing bc we hardly were at the hotel. The location is perfect for all the excursions we had on that side of the island, again, the hotel is ok, the only thing is, if you’re going to eat there, plan on spending about $100 for 2 people, and that’s just dinner! The place is not going to be in its best condition, but then again, like I mentioned before, you’re not there to stay not even 80% of your time in the hotel! I would never go back due to the experience I had with valet. Also, the weather made a difference, we didn't get the greatest of weather, but fortunately we made the best out of it while we were there! We got great sun for the most part! If you get a chance, go across the street to "El Yunque Rainforest" and do the entire hike! Take some ponchos, bc it will rain! And wear good shoes, bc it's about a total of 4.5 hours hiking, but much worth it! Also, take the ferry to Culebra and another day to Vieques, they have great beaches out there!
USE: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com
They are the reason I was able to do 95% of the things I planned! This is an amazing website! They even do reviews on some of the actual excursions they go on and will tell you detail by detail what to expect and how much it will be! :)
PR has so much to offer! I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This is a great hotel for the right person/couple/family. If you want to stay about an hour away from Old San Juan, on a quieter beach with less distractions, this is the place for you. Great idea to have a separate adult pool. Beautiful grounds. Food options are limited, but you will likely have a rental car and be able to explore the surrounding local cuisine. Overall, a very good value.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to an ocean view room.
1 Thank krashtest
Saludos,

It’s so gratifying to hear you enjoyed your stay while a guest at Rio Mar. We thank you for making Rio Mar and Puerto Rico your destination of choice!

Thank you for your feedback! It we would be honored to have the pleasure of welcoming you back. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if I can be of assistance to you in your return plans.

Danny Williams, General Manager
South Jersey
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This is a well-designed resort with views and layout created for maximum visual effect. The rooms are nice hotel rooms, not a typical timeshare suite with kitchen, dining room, etc. After a horrible experience courtesy of United Airlines, we arrived 10 hours after expectations with worn out nerves and no luggage. The resort gave us, during our midnight registration, nice toiletries packs which, while not necessarily unusual, was offered upon my wife's grousing about United.

I haven't read any other reviews except those in the margin, but we have nothing bad to say about this excellent place. The pools are big, with a separate adults only pool, two bars, and jacuzzia, the wide beach is just beyond the pools with warm waves just about right for good body surfing, lounges and umbrellas supplied, the elevators arrive quickly and their movement, once in them, is almost undetectable, the casino is a little small, but is in the resort building, the restaurant choices were wide, and the gardens and walkways around the pool are beautiful, populated with coquis.

Another unexpected offer - on our first morning there, we got up late, having gotten to bed around 1 AM, and were looking for an event set to start around 11:00. My wife was hungry and wandered into Marbella's, the main restaurant under the lobby balcony overhang. She was really just asking for directions to the event and was offered coffee and Danish, no charge. Not big, but nice and, in our experience, unusual..

We went there for a very inexpensive stay by Wyndham that involved free events of excellent meals, a very nice evening of music and dancing with transportation off site, and the least intrusive sale job we have ever experienced at a Wyndham stay. We stayed four nights, Wednesday through Sunday, and the cost of everything with events was less than that of a two night stay. The place got a lot more people on Friday night and Saturday, but it was never crowded. Were we occupying rooms they weren't going to sell during the week anyway? So what?

The only disappointment was the $15/day fee for parking with no other option to keep your car. It cost me more to park the car than to rent it $8/day at Enterprise Well, I've stayed in much worse places with much higher garage fees.

But with the Rainforest across the road, the bioluminous bay a handful of miles away, two golf courses, ten tennis courts, and seven restaurants on site, you almost forget that San Juan is only a 35 minute drive away. But we went twice - Old San Juan and some other things were also on our list.

If you're going to Puerto Rico, check this place before you spend $150 or more in San Juan's Condado, Hato Rey, or Antiguo districts. There is no doubt we'll be back.

Room Tip: There is so much to enjoy at the resort, you need more than four days to see the things in the area...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank calm_weather
Greetings!

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay at our resort.

We are delighted that you and your wife had a wonderfully luxurious vacation, and that the natural beauty of our captivating surroundings made you feel welcomed, allowing you to enjoy the distinctive charm of our guest rooms, pool area and above all, the superb service from our dedicated staff.

Thank you for the gift of feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future, so that we may have another opportunity to treat you and your wife to another uncompromising Wyndham experience.

Warmest regards,

The Ritz-Carlton, San Juan
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!