“Amazing Dream Wedding!”

Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Reviewed December 29, 2011

After a great deal of hunting around for the perfect spot, my new wife and I chose the Wyndham Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa to have our destination wedding. We'd known each other 13 years before walking down the aisle, and after waiting so long we wanted to make sure that we chose a location that would give us everything we were looking for and leave us with no regrets. The Rio Mar delivered!

One thing that sets this location apart is absolutely their Romance Director, Monique! She did an amazing job working with us to make sure that all of our wants and needs were met, sometimes before we even knew what they were! She was an absolute professional, minding every detail and doing so gracefully. After having this experience, I really believe that having someone onsite dedicated to helping make sure everything goes perfectly for your wedding is a must have.

We considered some other very lovely locations in the Caribbean but they did not demonstrate the same commitment to providing dream weddings that the Rio Mar did, and we were right to put our trust in Monique and the Rio Mar. There were some last minute hiccups as there always are with these things and they were handled with aplomb. One example was a last minute booking by Rio Mar of a large music event on premise the evening of our wedding. We had originally planned to have our reception pool side and the music and crowds would have interfered with that. While that booking was outside the control of Monique and her Wedding planning team, she helped us choose a different venue for the reception (the grille room), waived the standard upgrade fee for that spot to make up for the last minute change of plans, and it ended up being absolutely perfect. I can't begin to tell you how happy we were. It was tasteful, gave us a nice open air venue for our cocktail hour as well as a nice, private indoor setting for the reception, and had a very nice view overlooking the golf course which we would not have enjoyed otherwise.

There had also been widespread hurricane damage just a couple weeks before our wedding and Rio Mar worked tirelessly to ensure that everything was perfect for our wedding. I inquired and was told there was over 1mil in damage, and not one bit of it was visible! How many places could pull that off in two weeks? We chose their buffet for our dinner and it was a great assortment with a luxurious amount of options. Several of our guests exclaimed that it was the best wedding food they'd ever had and I would agree.

The Rio Mar is more beautiful in person than pictures do it justice and all of our guests were very happy there. My wife and I were upgraded to a Junior Suite which was spacious and very comfortable, though we spent most of our time enjoying the well-appointed grounds. With several nice hot tubs to choose from, a mile of lovely private beach, a gorgeous golf course and even a waterslide which proved fun for kids and adults both, there really is something for everyone and we took advantage of all. There was a feel of class and refinement that was pervasive throughout the resort that I found very suitable to a destination wedding.

One of the highest rated restaurants in all of PR is housed in the resort and I recommend a visit. Then, for those wanting to sample local cuisine or enjoy dining while minding a budget, you can visit the Kiosks which are only about 5-10 minutes away by car and house 30+ options for some very fun, very tasty eats... all situated right next to each other. I've never seen anything like it and my family and I (coming from Chicago's food culture) very much enjoyed sampling as many selections as we were able to.

We had our ceremony on the beach which was a lovely, very quiet location removed from the crowds. This was one of three primary locations that we used for photos, along with Rio Mar's gorgeous golf course and their very tasteful Grille Room. There were some excellent locations in the resort itself that we would have also enjoyed using if we'd allowed even more time for photos. You definitely will have more than enough options here to capture perfect memories!

I would recommend that anyone choosing Puerto Rico as their wedding destination consider hiring our photographer, Daniel Romero. He also went above and beyond the call of duty, giving us hundreds of some of the nicest pictures we've ever seen, let alone taken together. He's a very nice guy to work with and did a great job of guiding us through the shots which helped remove pressure on the big day. He did an expert job capturing every detail of this beautiful location and one of the first things my wife and I did after getting back was order a large wrapped-photo canvas print of one of his amazing pictures, which now adorns our bedroom wall and takes us back to the beach daily : )

We were married early October and I'm only now writing this review end of December. That represents a couple of things - Firstly I knew I had so much that I was thankful for coming away from this experience that this review would take more than a few minutes to really do the Rio Mar Justice. Second, that Monique and the Rio Mar made such an impression that over two months later I'm still overjoyed with the level of service and overall experience that my wife and I enjoyed. Proceed with confidence and may your wedding be as memorable as ours was!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ryan1happy_traveler
There are newer reviews for Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort

Reviewed December 29, 2011

We - Husband, wife, two little kids aged 8 & 12. Stayed here from 12/23/2011 thru 12/27.

Location: Excellent for a relaxing resort-style vacation. Away from the hustle and bustle of San Juan, yet close enough via rental or cab. (Cab costs around $70 to SJ or airport and takes 45 mins). Very close to El Yunque rain-forest, and to Fajardo for the beaches/marina. Outside food is somewhat of a chore - you'll need a rental car and drive 15/20 mins.

Beach access: Nice, virtually private, long, wide & swim-able beach with mild waves. No reef, so no snorkeling off the beach. Beach facilities include basics such as pool chairs, showers, life guards & swimming pool close by. NO water-sports right at beach, and we didn't see any hotel rental facilities such as boards, paddle-boats, kayaks, etc. This might be true for other hotels in PR as well - not sure.

Swimming pool - Average. Kid's pool is better with a small slide. But not very big, so can get crowded. The adult pool and pool area is not very clean. Overall has an 'aged' look.

Rooms - Average. Big enough, with a small verandah. Ours had two queen sized beds. All the usual amenities like TV, etc. Nice, big, clean bathroom with tub and shower. Not very sound-proof, so could hear flushing actions from probably upstairs - but not a big deal. Pay-to-use fridge.

Hotel - Nice lobby and impressive view/facade from outside. Good looking golf course. Resort grounds are huge, green and quiet; but does not have that immaculate well-maintained look.

Food - Expensive. The Marabella and Grille room food was quite good, though $$. The Japanese/chinese restaurant (Shiba?) was a disappointment and certainly not worth the $$. You'll need a car and venture out 10-15 minutes out of town (either east toward Fajardo or west toward SJ) to get to local food. And with small kids, the immediate vicinity restaurants may not be very 'family friendly'. There's a cafe where you can 'reasonably' priced snacks at all times, but low quality. And your in-room bottled water? $7 !

Service - Average. Big resort, so no 'personal' service. We didn't have any issues, so don't know how the resort deals with problems.

Price - We booked as part of a package. PR during the Xmas break is expensive anyways, so we got value for our $. But its probably a 3+ -star resort, so make sure your room price reflects that. Note that they charge $20/day for car parking - not terrible.

Overall - Its excellent location makes it a good choice for families, but don't expect 5-star quality or amenities, and don't pay 5-star price. PR is anyways NOT a resort-dominated place, so this is a good option given the rather limited choices there.

Reviewed December 27, 2011

stayed at the resort from 12/21/11-12/26/11, about 30-40 min from the airport.
taxi from the airport will cost approximately $75.00 and shuttle arranged through the hotel is $37.50/ adult and $25.00/child one way. Lobby and the grounds are impressive. Try getting
a room above 6th floor to get a clear view of the ocean. pools are clean. beach is not crowded and clean. The hotel has 2 golf courses.
like any other resorts, food and water is expensive. Among the restaurants Shimas and Palio are worth the price, staff go out of the way to accommodate your dietary preference.
Rooms are clean, bathrooms probably need updated fixtures, especially for the price you pay.
Internet wireless service does not work in the rooms. ethernet connection is available. Renting a car is a cheaper option as cabs are expensive ( $75.00 one way to old san juan). Avoid Enterprise counter located at the hotel, as half the time the desk is empty and getting hold of someone is a waste of time.

pros; away from the city, not too crowded, kid friendly, beach

cons; away from the city, small size casino, poor internet connection in the rooms.

6  Thank sawlanimd
Reviewed December 27, 2011

We are here now , family of four in two adjoining rooms. We made our reservation through Expedia, and our request for adjoining rooms, one king, one two queens was honored. However , our rooms on 5th floor look toward the mountains ( I didn't pay want to more for beach view) but we are on top of convention section, so we have large gravel roof and loud air conditioning compressors right outside balcony. Plus laundry lint all over our balconies. Pool is cold as others have said, adult pool area chairs are way more comfortable and cushioned, however there is limited sun there, as trees and building cut sun dramatically. family pool is too loud, constant music, and terrible hard rattan chairs. Beach is ok, but hard chairs ther, and pretty rough surf, not calm carribbean , or warm.
I guess I wanted a deal, and as airfares are so high now, I compromised on the hotel. By the way, nearby kiosks that are recommended, are pretty scuzzy, and mostly closed on Tuesday we found today. We did our own rainforest tour in our rental car, very close to this hotel and took hour plus long hike, nice but pretty challenging for non-hikers.
Hotel food is very expensive as expected, and very mediocre, especially lunch, trying to avoid eating or drinking here.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from convention rooftop!
5  Thank CandyS513
Reviewed December 26, 2011

stayed at the rio mar for four nights before x-mas weekend. overall, good choice for this side of the island. huge property with the hotel and many vacation rentals. by far the best value for a family compared to the three other hotels in this area. the rooms are older and concrete which drops the rating down, but nice comfortable beds and decent bathrooms. rented a mountain view suite which is a better room and great view of the rain forest. the lobby is great and very busy and the pool area is beautiful with plenty of chairs. like the other recent reviews, the pool water seemed cool, and they should look into heating at least one of the pools. the beach was very nice and larger than any of the san juan beaches. could take long walks in either direction, and the walk to the east towards the river was right out of survivor. we rented a van at the airport and this is a must. we drove across the highway to the rain forest and ate out two nights. one night we turned right out of the property and went up the hill to richies cafe, which has an incredible view and good food. the other day we drove to the ceiba airport and did a daytrip to culebra(best day of the trip). on the way home we ate at metropol in fajardo(next to the cinemas) which was a good clean place and much cheaper. overall, great place to take teenage kids and see the east side of puerto rico. warning, if you book boat trips out of the fajardo area, they are likey to be cancelled if it is windy. the winds were strong the whole week and they did not sail to culebra or vieques any of the days. luckily we were able to do last minute flight on air flamenco out of ceiba($40 per person each way).

Room Tip: bring ear plugs, the rooms can be noisy
1  Thank nd86
Reviewed December 23, 2011

We are at the resort now. Yes the grounds and lobby are beautiful but beyond that everything is down hill but if you keep your expectations low, it is fine as a 3 star resort.  It is definitely not a 4 star resort (perhaps under Westin management it was).  Found a great deal for our stay so I was willing to overlook almost everything just as long as we could have a fun pool vacation with the kids. Yes all the stuff written here about food, parking, etc is true but nothing outrageous or extraordinary. I would have been fine with just about anything BUT this!! I'm amazed that people don't mention this more often (unless it's something new) but the water in the pool is freezing!  It is ice cold! I couldn't stay in for more than 2 minutes. Imagine running a bath with only cold water and taking a bath in it. This is what the pool here is like. Only kids were playing in the pool but i had to take my kids out as their lips were turning blue. I saw so many people around me shocked by the freezing cold water temperature as the dipped their foot in. No one (adults) was swimming. I have traveled the world and to many many beach destinations but this is definitely a first.  I guess I've always taken for granted that pools are always heated to a comfortable temperature.  If Rio Mar purports itself a beach resort, the least they can do is invest in moderating water temp in the pool. It didnt even occur to me that this could be a problem at a resort of this size. This has been enough of a disappointment to feel like my whole trip has been ruined. The managements' response was that this is winter and it's how it's done in Puerto Rico. With this kind of response, I realized there was no point in arguing and it sure wasn't going to warm the pool overnight. I am so disappointed beyond belief that I am writing my first review from the resort.

5  Thank envoyage321
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We love the Rio Mar and try to stay there as often as possible since it is a great value. This stay was no exception, however, there are a couple things that visitors should be aware of. Depending on the time of year, the water can be a little rough with lots of seaweed. We stayed in December, and there was a lot of wind and cooler water. We were hoping to swim in the pool, but very few people were using pools due to the cold temperature. Normally there isn't trash on the beach, but it seemed as though a trash dump had washed ashore from the rough waters. Lots of plastic and junk strewn down the beach. Staff was making an effort to clean it. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful throughout our visit. We ate at Shimas, the Asian restaurant, and it was good, not great for the price. Food was over sauced and too salty. Lots of kids at the Rio Mar, which is fine until you want to have a quiet romantic dinner. We still plan to go back since we enjoy the landscaping, maginificent decor, and relaxing feel of the property.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!