After a great deal of hunting around for the perfect spot, my new wife and I chose the Wyndham Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa to have our destination wedding. We'd known each other 13 years before walking down the aisle, and after waiting so long we wanted to make sure that we chose a location that would give us everything we were looking for and leave us with no regrets. The Rio Mar delivered!
One thing that sets this location apart is absolutely their Romance Director, Monique! She did an amazing job working with us to make sure that all of our wants and needs were met, sometimes before we even knew what they were! She was an absolute professional, minding every detail and doing so gracefully. After having this experience, I really believe that having someone onsite dedicated to helping make sure everything goes perfectly for your wedding is a must have.
We considered some other very lovely locations in the Caribbean but they did not demonstrate the same commitment to providing dream weddings that the Rio Mar did, and we were right to put our trust in Monique and the Rio Mar. There were some last minute hiccups as there always are with these things and they were handled with aplomb. One example was a last minute booking by Rio Mar of a large music event on premise the evening of our wedding. We had originally planned to have our reception pool side and the music and crowds would have interfered with that. While that booking was outside the control of Monique and her Wedding planning team, she helped us choose a different venue for the reception (the grille room), waived the standard upgrade fee for that spot to make up for the last minute change of plans, and it ended up being absolutely perfect. I can't begin to tell you how happy we were. It was tasteful, gave us a nice open air venue for our cocktail hour as well as a nice, private indoor setting for the reception, and had a very nice view overlooking the golf course which we would not have enjoyed otherwise.
There had also been widespread hurricane damage just a couple weeks before our wedding and Rio Mar worked tirelessly to ensure that everything was perfect for our wedding. I inquired and was told there was over 1mil in damage, and not one bit of it was visible! How many places could pull that off in two weeks? We chose their buffet for our dinner and it was a great assortment with a luxurious amount of options. Several of our guests exclaimed that it was the best wedding food they'd ever had and I would agree.
The Rio Mar is more beautiful in person than pictures do it justice and all of our guests were very happy there. My wife and I were upgraded to a Junior Suite which was spacious and very comfortable, though we spent most of our time enjoying the well-appointed grounds. With several nice hot tubs to choose from, a mile of lovely private beach, a gorgeous golf course and even a waterslide which proved fun for kids and adults both, there really is something for everyone and we took advantage of all. There was a feel of class and refinement that was pervasive throughout the resort that I found very suitable to a destination wedding.
One of the highest rated restaurants in all of PR is housed in the resort and I recommend a visit. Then, for those wanting to sample local cuisine or enjoy dining while minding a budget, you can visit the Kiosks which are only about 5-10 minutes away by car and house 30+ options for some very fun, very tasty eats... all situated right next to each other. I've never seen anything like it and my family and I (coming from Chicago's food culture) very much enjoyed sampling as many selections as we were able to.
We had our ceremony on the beach which was a lovely, very quiet location removed from the crowds. This was one of three primary locations that we used for photos, along with Rio Mar's gorgeous golf course and their very tasteful Grille Room. There were some excellent locations in the resort itself that we would have also enjoyed using if we'd allowed even more time for photos. You definitely will have more than enough options here to capture perfect memories!
I would recommend that anyone choosing Puerto Rico as their wedding destination consider hiring our photographer, Daniel Romero. He also went above and beyond the call of duty, giving us hundreds of some of the nicest pictures we've ever seen, let alone taken together. He's a very nice guy to work with and did a great job of guiding us through the shots which helped remove pressure on the big day. He did an expert job capturing every detail of this beautiful location and one of the first things my wife and I did after getting back was order a large wrapped-photo canvas print of one of his amazing pictures, which now adorns our bedroom wall and takes us back to the beach daily : )
We were married early October and I'm only now writing this review end of December. That represents a couple of things - Firstly I knew I had so much that I was thankful for coming away from this experience that this review would take more than a few minutes to really do the Rio Mar Justice. Second, that Monique and the Rio Mar made such an impression that over two months later I'm still overjoyed with the level of service and overall experience that my wife and I enjoyed. Proceed with confidence and may your wedding be as memorable as ours was!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled between El Yunque Rainforest and a mile stretch of secluded beach, the Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa is Puerto Rico's most exotic beach, golf and spa resort destination. 500 magnificent acres with spectacular ocean, rainforest and lush tropical views serve as backdrops to 400 newly renovated guestrooms and suites and an exclusive renovated 48,000-sq.-ft. Oceanfront Conference Center. Located on the N.E. Ecological Corridor of Puerto Rico's shoreline, the Wyndham Grand Rio Mar is a haven for fun, sun and forging memorable experiences. The new guestrooms exude traditional Puerto Rican architecture and feature thoughtful indigenous touches. The resort boasts two championship golf courses & tennis center, Mandara spa, 10 lounges and restaurants with award-winning cuisine, an exciting casino, two nature reserves and a guest experience program that encompasses the beauty and nature of its magical surroundings. And since Puerto Rico is a US Commonwealth, no passports or visas are required for US Citizens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rio Mar Beach Resort And Spa, a Wyndham Grand Resort
- Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa, a Wyndham Grand Hotel Rio Grande
- Wyndham Rio Grande
- Rio Del Mar Puerto Rico
- Rio Grande Wyndham
- Rio Mar Puerto Rico
- Westin Rio Mar Puerto Rico
- Wyndham El Yunque National Forest
- El Yunque National Forest Wyndham
- Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort Rio Grande