“Awesome Resort & Love PR”

Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Rio Grande
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Booked my trip through Cheapcarribean.com, stayed at Wyndham Rio Mar Resort for 5 days on the last week of November 2011. I had a wonderful experience and would definitely come back again. Went on many excursions, had TONS of fun. Here are some thoughts:

1) Booked the "round of house" view, got a free upgrade to ocean view room with balcony!
2) Rooms felt humid, but their A/C is powerful, turn it on and you won't feel hot for sure.
3) Hotel ground is BEAUTIFUL, multiple pools, including one with a mini-waterslide.
4) Everyone is so friendly & helpful
5) Sat for the 90 min talk about Time Share (BOR-ING) but received $75 credit for excursions :)
6) BOOK A CAR! I booked mine through enterprise, it came out to about $15/day, crazy good deal!
7) Never ate once at the hotel, ALWAYS explored local kiosks, along with the little strip that everyone talks about, I loved TAPAS 13 !!!

Excursions I went on:
1) El Yunque National Rainforest --> AMAZING HIKE, with La Mina Fall at the end
2) Old San Juan --> historic, beautiful & colorful
3) Bioluminescent Bay Tour --> kayaking in a lagoon under the moonlight, into water that lights up b/c of plankton in the water.
4) Esperanza Beach @ Isla Vieques -- crystal clear water
5) Flamenco Beach @ Culebra -- went there on private boat with open bar/ lunch provided, snorkeling/ explore beach.

I loved my stay at Wyndham b/c it provided an ultra comfy bed, on a beautiful resort ground, but everyday I left for a different excursion. Concierge was very helpful, has LOADS of information.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have better view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank FY W

Reviewed December 12, 2011

The hotel has an airport shuttle ($37.50 per person each way). They like to fill it up, which is OK if everybody is on the same flight. We had to wait about 20 minutes for passengers from two later flights.

The hotel itself is some distance from the airport. Once you get there, there's nothing in walking distance. The beach isn't much and closed at 5:00 pm every day we were there for turtle nesting. We were pretty much confined to the pool area.

The pool area has lounge chairs with cushions that get wet and stay wet. I didn't see any sign they'd ever been cleaned.

Most of the staff was friendly except for the concierge desk.

• Stayed: December 2011
7  Thank MikeKinPA
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Being in PR is amazing but Rio Mar was not very fair with there prices due to you being stuck at the hotel. The Golf is very over rated, Play Trump down the road before thinking of playing there so called Championship courses! I am in the Golf Biz and was very, very dissapointed!
THe course I booked was closed so forced to play the one they say was better and it was wet, the greens were the worst i have seen ever and the holes were less than spectacular!

The hotel messed our room up 3 times! Once we were given a room not cleaned, second to a room without the proper bed, then asked for a beach front and 2 times they gave us the side view of the roof of the convention center! We finally just stayed in our side view room with 2 full size beds.

The food was so over priced!!! PERIOD! Drinks so unfair!! $12 a glass for cheap wine.. $8 for a beer! Stupid!

I love Puerto Rico for the people but I would not tell my worst enemy to stay here! Check out The Gran Melia or stay downtown San Juan!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Ron580
Reviewed December 10, 2011

THE GOOD:
The resort is beautiful (At least on the outside)
There are nice pools
The staff are VERY friendly and will help you with anything
There are several restaurants to pick from
It has comfy beds
The room was very clean

THE BAD:
The hotel is rather dark on the inside
The rooms and hallways had an obvious feeling of humidity
The food was expensive, yet was very mediocre. Ordered an expensive shrimp scampi dish from Marbella and it was cold
It is a little hard to find
The beach is very mediocre. Brown sand, high surf, dirty water.
Rowdy people in the hotel

It was an ok visit.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank S51438
Reviewed December 10, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a week long stay here. Overall, we had a good time and it is a nice resort, but not a great resort. Fortunately it was not a busy week so it was relaxing for us, which is what we needed. There were nightly rain showers, but we had good weather during the day.

We agree with the previous reviewer who thought it was a bit boring. The grounds are very pretty, it has a nice pool area (though the adult pool lining needs renovation), the beach is right there with nice sand but dirty water, and we found all the staff pleasant and helpful. The food was good but expensive (as expected), we felt the menus were limited, and there was no outdoor dining at night. There is one main lobby bar and a casino, but no other nighttime entertainment. No live music except one night when they had a Flamenco dancer performing in the main restaurant.

We planned our trip through Travelocity, and when we arrived we were given an upgrade to an oceanfront room which was nice, and we got all our other requests, such as a high floor to see over the trees. We had to switch rooms because of a very musty odor and a tub that wasn't draining. The second room was better but the drawers still smelled. Puerto Rico has had an unusual amount of rain lately, so maybe that was part of the problem, but we had to keep the sliding doors closed all the time, and still the room felt humid despite the constant A/C. I recommend keeping your clothes in your suitcase if possible. Other room notes, the walls could use repainting and more artwork, but the furniture seemed to be in decent shape, TV channel choices fair, tub was banged up, and the balcony furniture was just in fair shape. Sometimes we lost hot water while showering in the afternoon.

We like a fridge in our room, which supposedly cost $10/day, but we didn't get charged. Also, we saw other people checking in with cases of bottled water (which we wished we had thought of doing on the way from the airport), but you can buy bottled water in the gift shop, and the tap water is drinkable in PR.

There is an internet hot spot in one area of the lobby. There's a charge for in-room, unless you are a Wyndham Rewards member. We were only able to use our new ipads in the lobby on WiFi, the 3G signal worked fine for our phones but not the ipads. (Does anyone know if the 3G signal can be blocked for the ipad but not phones?)

We planned to play golf on each of the two courses at the resort, but due to the recent rain, the Ocean Course was closed. We did play the River Course which was also extremely wet, and it was OK, but some of the greens were in poor shape. Callaway rental clubs were decent.

After trying all the restaurants at the resort, we decided to try going local. We really enjoyed La Parrilla, a couple of miles away, and ate dinner there twice. We highly recommend it.

I bet things are different when it's high season. There might be more going on, but you probably have to do a lot more planning ahead than we did, such as for dinner reservations etc.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank my2centsfromlgr
Reviewed December 8, 2011

I made the mistake of going here for my 40th birthday with my friends. Most resorts this size have a little bit of everything, that you never want to leave the resort. I felt this resort to be very sterile and boring. The beach was pretty, the pool was pretty, the lagoon was pretty, the hotel was pretty. Everything was clean, the casino was good. If all you want to do is sit by the pool, play golf, drink wine and feel important, this place is perfect for you. If you are looking for people who look like they are on vacation having a good time, smiling, and looking like they are alive, then this is not the place. We did spend the day hiking the rain forest which is right there...now that was cool!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank JKScottTalent
Reviewed December 7, 2011

I happened on this great Puerto Rican seaside resort and decided to stay an as a post cruise in November 2011.

The Rio Mar Beach Resort is located approxmiately 45 minutes east of San Juan. There are a couple of options fro gettnig there from the San Juan Airport (SJU). Either secure a $75 one way taxi ride from the lower level of the airport, or call the resort and meet their shuttle down past the taxi stand. The Rio Mar shuttle bus is by reserved by appointment and is $35 dollars each way from the airport.

Be advised they are NOT authorized to pick up passengers directly from the San Juan cruise port, only from the international airport.

Once I arrived at the Rio Mar, two things immediately struck me.
1. This resort is tucked away a fair distance from the town of Rio Grande.
2. The Rio Mar is now owned by Wyndham, but its origins must been as an exclusive top-end resort destination due to its immense and spectacular architecture and the fact it is surrounded by a national forest, intertwined with a nicely manicured golf course, and situated next to an ajoining beach.

Further, Rio Mar has a wonderful pool with cabana service, a full service high end spa, along with 4 nice restaurants, and an on site casino and business conference facilities.

At every point, the service received was top notch. The shuttle driver was very professional and friendly. He was only outdone by the front desk staff that could not do enough to make certain the check in process was smooth and efficient.

The smiles were geniune and they really wanted to make certain my first visit was not to be the last at their facility.

The front desk manager provided a complimentary upgrade of the room to a mini-suite without my asking for it, and provided detailed info and a map on the resort amenities as a matter of course.

During my late November 2011 visit, Rio Mar was decked out in its holiday best, and a full sized gingerbread house had been erected to one side of the immense front lobby.

The room was very spacious, clean and had a great view of the courtyard and the beach. There was complementary LAN line connectivity in the room, However WiFi was only available in the lobby areas and in the restaurants and bar.

The large flat screen televison was consistent with the great room I had, and the security provided by the in-room safe both and locks on the balcony doors on my 5th floor mini suite were quite adequate. There was also a coffee maker and a well lit desk in my mini suite.

The closet was large provided almost walk-in spaciousness. The bathroom was large, well lit, and most importantly VERY CLEAN.

While I would have gladly rated this resort experince a 10 out of 10. There were two small issues that need to be noted here,

First, the final bill had a $94 restaurant charge for a meal I did not have, and a self parking fee which was odd considering our use of THEIR SHUTTLE SERVICE to and from the resort. This was promptly verified and removed at check out.

I mention this to fellow travelrs just as an advisory to review the final bill!

Second, Rio Mar is well off the beaten path, and while multiple dining options exist on site, all are VERY EXPENSIVE.

So overall I would report that I was very pleased with the exceptional service and superior resort facilities.

I would highly recommend visitors to this place, but with the recommendation that they keep an eye on their bill and plan/budget meals carefully to coordinate with other activities.

Room Tip: Room upgrade was provided by the front desk. (Just ask nicely and they may very well give you a supe...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Sheraton Puerto Rico Hotel & Casino
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort? Share your experiences!